Motoring Discussion > Dangerous drivers, have your say. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 25

Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Old Navy
The Ministry of Justice is quietly having a survey which the vast majority of drivers will not know about.

There is a link to the survey at the end of the article.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - sooty123
There's no link.
My apologies, I was being hassled to demonstrate my driving skills. :-)

www.autoexpress.co.uk/dangerdriver
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - smokie
Are we going to get to vote on all government policy and legislation ideas nowadays?
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Dutchie
It is such a fine line between dangerous and careless driving.

Lorry driver in our town went through a red light turning into a supermarket.Killed mother and daughter on a zebra crossing.14 months in prison for the driver.

14 Months for two lives.Obviously the driver didn't intend to kill that day but he did.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Ian (Cape Town)
Big smash here today.
Minibus taxi overtakes, head on into a bus. 13 dead.
Nasty stuff indeed.
800 dead so far this month on our roads.
I expect that technology will moderate antisocial driving. We are already seeing this with convictions for poor driving from dashcam evidence, phone records etc.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - legacylad
The officer leading the ongoing police crackdown on dangerous driving in Bradford has asked that the public continue sending in both video & dash cam footage. Operation Steerside has featured on the tv recently.
So glad I no longer live in that part of the world, but my police and Fire Service pals who still work there keep me updated in the pub as to how things are getting worse, not better.
I expect that is due to road policing being way down the priority list.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Ian (Cape Town)
LegLad,
I am an avid watcher of UK police reality shows - and find it frightening when I see the events on police dashcams etc vs the sentences handed down.
"The man caught evading police for 45 minutes was convicted for dangerous driving, driving without insurance, driving while disqualified, and sentenced to 200 hrs of unpaid work, fined 200 quid, and lost his license for 6 months.
"The charges of possession of drugs were dismissed."
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - BrianByPass
>> "The man caught evading police for 45 minutes was convicted for dangerous driving, driving without
>> insurance, driving while disqualified, and sentenced to 200 hrs of unpaid work, fined 200 quid,
>> and lost his license for 6 months.
>> "The charges of possession of drugs were dismissed."
>>

That would be one of the very few good results. In most cases, the Police spend hours meticulously collecting evidence, but the CPS decide that no charges are to be brought.

In my view, the Justice system in UK is broken. Look up the statistics on costs, numbers of prisoners, numbers of re-offenders, sentencing guidelines, and so on.

After last week's riots at Birmingham prison, it is reported that "G4S, which runs Birmingham jail, has decided to replace locks in the prison after a picture of a set of keys to them was posted on social media during last week’s riot. Replacing the locks will cost around £750,000."
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sat 24 Dec 16 at 14:43
All down to wishy washy politicians with politically correct attitudes and an eye on the next election.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - BrianByPass
>> All down to wishy washy politicians with politically correct attitudes and an eye on the
>> next election.
>>

We need a Trump equivalent for the UK!
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - zippy
>>We need a Trump equivalent for the UK!

No, no we do not!

Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Tigger
Putting the extreme cases you see on the police, camera, action type shows to one side.

I see poor driving every day on the roads. People driving too close, on their phones, etc.

Most days they will get away with it. They are not given any corrective intervention.

If they have an unfortunate combination of circumstances, someone could well die. It seems to me to be a HUGE leap to then sentence them to 14+ years in prison.

If we really want to cut deaths on the road, we can. But it takes proper driver education. This could either be more police (or automation) on the roads. Or it could be more training.

I would make it compulsory for all drivers to attend some form of further training at regular intervals. It would allow them to be brought up to date on changes in the law, allow them to have their worst driving faults pointed out. It could include an eyesight test.

I can be fined or struck off as an Engineer if I don't do my annual training. Yet the most dangerous aspect of every day is driving to and from the office.
I agree that education would help, but we have all come across the arrogant "I know best" drivers. Disqualification is a delicate balance, it could mean more unlicensed drivers on the roads and become unenforceable. We could have weekend jail time as I believe some Scandinavian countries have.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Shiny
I think causing death by careless/dangerous driving should be an absolute offence, like driving without a license. With only mitigating circumstances clause allowing for a reduction from life in prison.
This would apply whether it is failure to set a park brake or crshing into the back of a queue of traffic.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Manatee
>> I think causing death by careless/dangerous driving should be an absolute offence, like driving without
>> a license. With only mitigating circumstances clause allowing for a reduction from life in prison.
>> This would apply whether it is failure to set a park brake or crshing into
>> the back of a queue of traffic.

Is that a joke?

There are already twice as many people in prison as there were in the 1980s, and you want to put people in prison for life for having an accident?

This is yet another 'populist' bandwagon that will not detectably cut road deaths, because nobody sets out to cause them.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Pat
How very true Manatee.

Pat
Accidents are a rare occurrence, most collisions, deaths, etc are caused by drivers inattention to the task of driving, or a disregard of the rules and laws of the road. Usually "It was an accident" is a pathetic excuse for poor driving.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 25 Dec 16 at 17:18
Missed the edit.

There is a thread "Bath tipper accident". It was not an accident, it was caused by poor (or no) maintenance.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Slidingpillar
Most 'accidents' aren't. They are deliberatenesses...
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Fullchat
" They are deliberatenesses... "

Which falls into the Dangerous Driving category.

Most collisions are down to just a generally poor standard of driving, inattention, distraction
and general carelessness.

Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Manatee
The point about driving standards is probably correct, I just dont see how longer sentences are going to improve them.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Fullchat
No easy fix. Everyone thinks they are a competent driver. No one sets out to be involved in a collision. some think they are invincible cocooned in their warm 'safe' metal boxes. Attitudes and behaviours are difficult to change unless a significant event takes place. And that's not just a speeding ticket.
 Dangerous drivers, have your say. - Stuartli
I get the gist of the thread title, but reckon it should really read on the lines of: "Have your say about dangerous drivers"...:-)
Latest Forum Posts