Motoring Discussion > Aperture Wrench Concept/Design Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 12

Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - rtj70
I like this idea.... could it be made to work?

www.dpreview.com/news/1586605642/photographer-applies-iris-design-to-aperture-wrench-concept

Okay it's not going to be as strong as a dedicated wrench but could there be a market?

I can see downsides apart from strength. The tool's head is a bit bigger and will limit access to many uses.... but still a nice design.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 18:30
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - sooty123
Possibly but how much better is it than an adjustable? I think you'd have to have a play about with it to see if it's any good. If your a serious/regular spanner spinner you'd have a proper set of tools. If your a casual user then an adjustable is more likely to be on your cupboard. It doesn't say price either?
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Slidingpillar
It's interesting, but the flaw for many applications will be that a bolt head is usually quite close to a solid surface. Think of a cap for an automotive thermostat, spanner would hit the cap long before the nut was turnable.
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Dulwich Estate II
No chance - it's got to be open ended to stand a hope of any sales. I'm pretty sure the design couldn't cope with an open ended version though.

Presumably it's got a ratchet too - I find sometimes that ratchet steps are not fine enough in difficult locations.

I've got a box full of ring spanners which don't get used that often whereas the open spanners are used most of the time.

I'll keep my money in the bank at 0.05%.
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Bromptonaut
Maybe good for some functions.

No use at all for shifting the blocked aerators on my caravan taps which had just two parallel faces for open ended spanner. Dad's 60yo adjustable removed them in no time.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 20:30
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - zippy
This design seems to be adding complexities and problems where none existed before.
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Old Navy
I have had one of these Metrinch combination spanner and socket sets for many years, I have yet to find a car or domestic hexagonal nut or bolt it will not fit.

www.directsupplyukltd.co.uk/metrinch-37-piece-combination-set-met-0625/p271
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 22:23
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - bathtub tom
Perhaps they could do a double-ended one?

Metric and Imperial?
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Ted

I have a set of spanners that look very much like the ones shown here. They are double ended, metal and specifically sized. I do use them a lot, although I have no Whitworth ones. They're useful from a speed point of view but, at about 6 inches long, they don't have leverage for really tight stuff. There's no way of lengthening them, unlike a socket ratchet handle where you can use a length of gas pipe.

They'll be a useless gimmick to turn up in your Christmas stocking one year and never be used.

Any competent mechanic of some years standing will know the size of bolt heads just by looking.
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Cliff Pope
The Gator socket is better. It has a set of hard steel spring-loaded pins, and will accommodate any nut size, including worn or lopsided nuts.
It is also immensely strong.
I looked at those, what are they like cliff, worth buying? I've heard mixed reviews.
 Aperture Wrench Concept/Design - Cliff Pope
I've used one successfully for undoing rusted exhaust manifold nuts that had become eroded or rounded by previous futile attempts.
You can improve the grip if you can manage to cut or file just one of the nut's flats straighter, because the array of pins will take up any shape you press it over.

They grip so well however that it is tempting to overstrain it, and once you have distorted the pins it doesn't work so well.

Unlike most wrenches and grips it works purely by forming a purpose-moulded socket around whatever shape of nut it finds, so it doesn't rely on over-squeezing the nut to get a bite, which can be counter-productive.
I might well buy one and have a go with it. I currently use a set of sockets that have a wide pitched left handed thread that bite into the nut. Very good not found they can't get off yet. Only problem with them is they only come in 5 different sizes so sometimes they don't always fit the nut you need removed.

www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ

similar to these.
Latest Forum Posts