Motoring Discussion > Folding Door Mirrors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 32

Folding Door Mirrors - zippy
I have found that when I use folding door mirrors in car parks, it gives drivers parking next to me a few extra inches to encroach on my space, which they wouldn't do if I hadn't folded the mirrors. It has made getting in to the car difficult on several occasions including one where someone parked so closely that I couldn't get back in to the car from either side!

So I don't use them anymore and they won't be a specific requirement on my next motor.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Dec 16 at 02:30
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Runfer D'Hills
I don't want to discuss this...😉
 Folding Wing Mirrors - zippy
>> I don't want to discuss this...😉
>>

Just because yours seem to self detach!

:-)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Dulwich Estate II
Following on from the adjustable spanner idea, I have the following offering: To ensure adjoining parkers give you plenty of space why not have a colour matched, but very cheap and disposable "width increaser" on the lines of a door mirror.

Manufacturers could market it as some form of streamlined fuel saving device or maybe a high speed stability enhancer (think downforce, wings, spoilers). You could order say 10 of the things and just junk them when damaged. Instead of retracting them when parked you'd extend them.

Admin knows where the royalties should be sent.

PS I always park at the other end of the car park and walk myself.
>>PS I always park at the other end of the car park and walk myself.

I do that as well.

Not long ago I was the only car in a 200 space car park. I had parked towards the far end.

Within 5 minutes someone had parked right next to me. There were 197 spaces that were not being used - why oh why!?
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Cliff Pope
>> I have the following offering: To ensure adjoining
>> parkers give you plenty of space why not have a colour matched, but very cheap
>> and disposable "width increaser" on the lines of a door mirror.
>>

Caravan extended mirrors clip on easily, and are made of basic tubular steel to intimidate close parkers.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - sooty123
> Caravan extended mirrors clip on easily, and are made of basic tubular steel to intimidate
>> close parkers.

In many car parks i doubt you'd get in the parking bays with them fitted.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Bromptonaut
>> In many car parks i doubt you'd get in the parking bays with them fitted.

Certainly not with our Berlingo. Actually it's wide enough compared to our small caravan that I can (arguably legally) tow without the extension mirrors.

Always use them when on a run but sometimes manage without when driving solo to/from store. Not worth faff of fitting them and running round car several times to get n/s one adjusted.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - PeterS
I do miss the folding mirrors of the Merc - neither the Audi or BMW have them. Not because I ever need to fold them, but because they were a handy indicator that the car was locked :). Though interestingly although both have keyless go neither lock themselves. But the Renault Captur hire car I had last week did seem to automatically lock itself if you were more than a few metres from it - pretty useful!
>> I do miss the folding mirrors of the Merc - neither the Audi or BMW have them.

I suppose that's the trouble when you sort of trade down...

;-)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - legacylad
Didn't the 'cashcow' have folding mirrors?
Intentional or not
 Folding Wing Mirrors - R.P.
They're door mirrors....grrr ! (before Vx kicks off)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - VxFan
>> They're door mirrors....grrr ! (before Vx kicks off)

lol. I already changed the subject header before reading this ;)

>> Didn't the 'cashcow' have folding mirrors?
>> Intentional or not
>>

I think that was the point!
. >>
>> I suppose that's the trouble when you sort of trade down...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

:p It had a spacesaver spare as well... < /reminisce>
Last edited by: PeterS on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 21:36
The new one has a tank of wee where that should be. That'll be handy when I get a puncture won't it? :-(
Did you ever get a puncture in the last one I wonder? I had one puncture in four and a half years; that was the result of a dark country road and a large pothole. Other than that, nothing! So I'm relaxed about the lack spare in either car...though a trip to France over New Year might make me change my mind...!
I did actually, twice. Once it was a slow so wouldn't have been a problem, but the other time something cut straight through the sidewall of a front tyre leading to instant deflation, fortunately it happened at a time when the car was moving slowly and I was able to pull over safely and fit the spacesaver.

But enjoy your trip...

;-)
...and no, it wasn't a kerb. ;-)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - tyrednemotional
>> Did you ever get a puncture in the last one I wonder?

Logic failure; the issue isn't your last puncture, it's your next one..,.. ;-)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - CGNorwich
I used to think a spare wheel essential but I no longer want to lug wheels about and since I belong to the AA I I will let them do it. They carry universal spare wheels these days so there really is no problem not having your own spare.
I've sometimes wondered if folding mirrors could freeze folded if the weather turned from wet to cold overnight. Mine never have, but it feels possible.
Never happened to mine either. Though, I did once fold them in before parking (forwards) in a tight space next to a pillar in a multi-storey car park. Worked well, nicely parked and with plenty of room to get out without touching the car next to me. Worked well that is until I left. The mirrors auto-unfolded when I unlocked the car and as a I reversed out I caught the passenger mirror on the pillar I'd carefully avoided on the way in!
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Cliff Pope
>>. They carry universal spare wheels these days so there really is no problem not
>> having your own spare.
>>

Most of the punctures I have had I have discovered at home the next morning having unknowingly picked up a nail the day before, and the tyre has slowly deflated overnight.

I couldn't be bothered waiting for an AA man to attend. I'd want to change it myself in 5 minutes and get on my way.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - mikeyb
>> I do miss the folding mirrors of the Merc - neither the Audi or BMW
>> have them. Not because I ever need to fold them, but because they were a
>> handy indicator that the car was locked :). Though interestingly although both have keyless go
>> neither lock themselves. But the Renault Captur hire car I had last week did seem
>> to automatically lock itself if you were more than a few metres from it -
>> pretty useful!

The Lexus is keyless, but only locks if you touch the door handle as you walk away. I prefer the renault system where it just locks as you walk away, although a friend had this and if he parked to close to the house he wasn't always far enough away to ensure it was locked
 Folding Wing Mirrors - rtj70
The Mazda6 I had on demo auto-locked as you walked away. Only it just locked it and did not deadlock. Like an earlier model Mazda6 I had, you had to press the lock button twice to deadlock. So auto-locking not so secure.

At least you didn't have to walk far to lock it. You're talking a few feet at most.

VAG cars on the other hand deadlock on one button press on the key fob and undo the deadlock on the button press.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 23:27
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Rudedog
Best way top keep people away from your car in car-parks is to keep it dirty!

Nobody likes to come close to your paintwork in their white jeans or Sunday-best when it's filthy.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Dog
I find folding mirrors are mega-useful when flying down Cornish coutry lanes at 186,000 MPS, especially on the blind bends and corners where I'll sometimes have a finger on the launch button Justin Case.
 Folding Wing Mirrors - madf
FWMs are essential on single track roads when encountering a 4x4 driven by someone who refuses to go onto the verge to get past... (Usually plonkers driving new ones)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Oldgit
I've had retractable door mirrors on my last three Golfs including the latest iteration i.e the MK7 and I have always specified them, if necessary. I travel a lot on narrow country lanes where they are a necessity, unless you want to end up with smashed mirrors. The only problem is that on my latest Golf MK7 they won't retract above 30mph which is a PITA and, as a result, I don't use that facility so much now as it means slowing down to 30mph before the damn things will retract.
I've taken this up with VW forums but not the dealers and wondered whether VCDS (VAGCOM) would be able to alter this setting - apparently not, according to the forums. I'd like at least a 50mph speed beyond which they wouldn't retract.
I'm not sure I've ever been in a position where retracting the mirrors at >30 has been necessary...don't cars get narrower if you speed up and close your eyes ;)
 Folding Wing Mirrors - Pat
Lorries do but you have to select narrow gear as well:)

Pat
 Folding Wing Mirrors - BiggerBadderDave
Always use mine in carwashes, the spinning brushes tend to push the mirrors backwards on the return cycle. It doesn’t damage them, just makes me cringe.
Latest Forum Posts