Motoring Discussion > Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 8

Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - zippy
I have not purchased a car for myself for over 20 years so am out of practice.

I have seen a car at a local dealer that suits. Its a 1.6 petrol Auris CVT. 2014 and 10k miles. It also has three years of the Toyota warranty left. Its not my first choice but because of my ankle I can no longer drive a car with a clutch.

The dealer has it priced up at £12k. Similar cars (all some distance away on Autotrader) are between £10.5k and £11k. WBAC price it (in a forced sale) is £9k.

I have no PX so how does one go about getting a serious discount on it?
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - Runfer D'Hills
If you want it, make sure they know you're serious and prepared to do the deal. Offer £10,000 but be ready to negotiate up to whatever limit you set yourself and stick to it. Walk away if they won't compromise. For what it's worth from what you've said, I'd set my limit at £10,750 but that's up to you of course.
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - mikeyb
Yep, I'd just go in and tell them you are serious, but its to expensive as others further away are cheaper. Tell them you would rather buy local but will travel if you cant get the right deal and leave it to them to propose something, but be prepared to walk
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - Bobby
As is always the case, be prepared with facts but most importantly, be reasonable with expectations.
See what similar cars are at other dealers, take screenshots of them on your phone.
I think £1250 off a screen price may be pushing it for that particular dealer as they seem to be priced much dearer than everyone else (though are you comparing like for like with warranties - a 3 year warranty could be worth £500) and that may irk them to not deal with you.
If they feel you are willing to negotiate they will also start the negotiating game.
However if you name a price and stick to it then the answer will be yes or no.

Always helps if you have the debit card in your hand willing to pay there and then. They then know you are serious.

I would show them the other adverts, the debit card, and offer them £10500 (but willing to go to £10750)
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - Tigger
Best way to get a good deal is to be prepared to walk away.

I've had this several times with Toyota - they think that when they have you in the showroom that they can play hardball.

When we bought a Yaris a couple of years ago, the local toyota dealer would not budge more than £200 or so on price. I found an identical car at a dealer 100 miles away, and did the deal by phone. I had a trade-in, which I described accurately.

On arrival, they checked the trade-in, agreed I'd described it accurately, and honoured the deal. Local dealer was very happy to service it (service being a different department to sales).
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - bathtub tom
When I was looking for my Yaris, I found my local Toyota dealer had their cars advertised on ebay for a much lower price than what was in the screens on the forecourt.
>> When I was looking for my Yaris, I found my local Toyota dealer had their
>> cars advertised on ebay for a much lower price than what was in the screens
>> on the forecourt.
>>

Good idea, but alas, they don't. Some bargains from other non franchised dealers but of course unless the service documentation is perfect there won't be the Toyota warranty.
 Toyota Auris - Buying a Used Car - martin aston
Good advice so far.
I would add that its worth checking out any value add that a main dealer may provide compared to an independent. My used Honda from a main dealer came with free MoT test and breakdown assitance as long as I used their servicing and a very attractive 4 year full service plan. Once its over 4 years old Honda offer well-priced fixed price services that maintain the breakdown and MoT benefits.
I expect Toyota offer something similar but not independents.
Tomorrow could also be a good day to do a deal. If the salesman needs a sale to hit the month/quarter target, you may benefit. I dont expect they get many customers on 31/12.
Got to the dealer at mid day but it had been sold just before Christmas! Nothing else similar in stock unfortunately.

Oh well. I shall start the hunt again in the new year!
Latest Forum Posts