Motoring Discussion > 2016 Driving/riding year. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 29

2016 Driving/riding year. - R.P.
Cars/bikes driven this year.

1. BMW 320d x4 Msport Touring. Piled the miles on - good motor. Nawt's gone wrong

2. MINI Clubvan - great little car

3. Fiat Motorhome

4. Fiat Panda...(fine little motor there somewhere)

5. Ford Fiesta 1.25 - a little lacking in verve

Bikes have been more interesting

1. BMW R1200GS - now sold

2. BMW F800 - loan bike - bit boring

3. Triumph Street Triple - carries on no good for my 80 mile A55 commute though

4. Yamaha Majesty 400cc - now sold

5. Triumph Sprint. Horrible bike did not get on at all with it despite its bargain basement price

6. Triumph Scrambler - well two actually, one was a loan bike and the other my most recent acquisition - still only 300 miles on it so not yet really bonded

7. Triumph Tiger 800 RTR - Now the two wheeled workhorse. Superb all round bike - quick, lithe and frugel. Put three thousand miles between June and November. Love it really.

2016 Driving/riding year. - devonite
My modes of Transport 2016,

1. 30+ year old pedal bike, found in hedge, make unknown, runs great, beats walking.

2. Skoda Octavia, nowt like the Skoda's I remember from my youth! - seems ok, beats cycling.

3. Legs, - knackered! but keep gamely persevering! - lubricated with fresh Ale regularly but that makes them wobbly!

Happy New year to all!.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - Runfer D'Hills
I still want a Panda. Don't need one though. I just like small Italian cars but have no use for one.

Frustrating in truth.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - Ian (Cape Town)
Did Plod ever use Fiats for patrol cars? Serious question.
Italian police certainly did, probably still do. Seen a few Alfa 159s on the Autostrada.
The only ones I've seen were used by the Italian Police in the film "The Italian job"! never seen a British Police one!
Was thinking of a panda panda car.
I've seen Panda 4x4s in police livery in the Italian Alps. Suppose they'd make a bit of sense in that region.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - tyrednemotional
>> Was thinking of a panda panda car.
>>
>>

Like this...?

tinyurl.com/apandapanda
Exactly. Thanks.

Are UK plod cars still called pandas, though?
...you'd think the police would learn not to leave the hatch open AND the keys in the door, though......
Like the TT 'ambulance'?
>> Like the TT 'ambulance'?
>>

That's rather a circum...spect way of describing it.......
>> >> Like the TT 'ambulance'?
>> >>
>>
>> That's rather a circum...spect way of describing it.......
>>
Best headline ever: 'Recovered after a tip-off'
...I understand the police pursued it until it pulled-over.....
I can't tell you how much ( or how irrationally ) that has cheered me T&E !

:-)
>> I can't tell you how much ( or how irrationally ) that has cheered me
>> T&E !
>>

...I'm glad you like it - took me hours in Photoshop......
Interesting bit from "Google" (Daily Telegraph)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11804048/Ministers-under-fire-for-allowing-half-of-Britains-police-forces-to-order-3000-foreign-made-vehicles.html
Last edited by: devonite on Sat 31 Dec 16 at 12:42
 2016 Driving/riding year. - zippy
Ask the tax payers: A penny or two on tax to buy British or keep taxes as they are to keep taxes as they are?

I suspect that many would choose the latter, especially as a penny on tax could be £200 to someone earning about £31k.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - CGNorwich
Since most motorists choose to buy foreign cars I don't suppose they care. I don't.
The tiny Daihatsu got its third fill up of the year last week.
Does the local supply trips admirably, and gets a monthly 'workout' of 50 miles or so on the freeway.
I live 200 yds from the bus stop, and work close to the central terminal, so hopping the bus to and from makes sense. 20km journey in 35 mins as opposed to at least an hour in the car, and no aggro with parking etc. Cost equivalent to a litre and a quarter of petrol a day.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - PeterS
Well of the three cars on our drive at the beginning of the year only one is left...And that doesn't work properly!!
 2016 Driving/riding year. - bathtub tom
I think my highlight would be riding a Corgi again (after fifty-odd years). That weird gear engagement (by folding down a footrest) and its very high gearing, requiring vigorous foot paddling as you release the clutch.
 2016 Driving/riding year. - Cliff Pope
No changes.
1991 Volvo 240 main driver, used almost daily.
1967 Triumph 2000 - used occasionally
1968 Landrover Series II -used occasionally
1999 Vauxhall Corsa - family car, mostly daughter to work, used daily.
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor - used occasionally, most recently logging.
About 6 bikes, moved 50 yards into new shed, otherwise unused.
>>I think my highlight would be riding a Corgi again (after fifty-odd years).

> That weird gear engagement (by folding down a footrest) and its very high gearing, requiring vigorous foot paddling as you release the clutch. - Thank God you added this bit!! ;-)
Other than the Audi Convertible that refuses to die, the Up! was replaced by A3 e-tron, which has been an unqualified success. Brilliantly practical car. The Mercedes has been replaced with a BMW; some might say a mid-life crisis. I say the last chance to have a small RWD car with a manual gearbox and straight 6 petrol engine. Albeit turbocharged... Great fun, but despite its power actually gets driven much slower on motorways than the A3 because it's far les refined.

Most unusual vehicle driven this year was a New Holland combine (a CR9.80, for those in the know :p) and tractor

i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/Toys/IMG_4018_zpshqenyjl6.jpg
i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/Toys/IMG_4024_zpsheotcd2u.jpg

Other than that, one car written off (the A2) though not by me

Fairly limited number of hire cars this year. From memory a Touran (forgettable, but it did result in a €100 speeding ticked in Spain passed on by Avis), a TDI A3 (which made me appreciate the standard spec of the e-tron), a Renault Captur (pretty inoffensive, and pleasant enough), a Focus (dull and forgettable) and a new Astra (slightly less dull, slightly less forgettable but good looking car)

And at work the Renault bought, which is so basic it's laughable. But it does have rear parking sensors. A Freelander - still don't see the point of these when used on road. A Ford Ranger pick-up. Cheap, and you can see why. A Toyota pick up of some sort. 6 cylinder diesel, leather, sat nav. But forgettable!

Hopefully 2017 will be less eventful!
Very nice Machine's! - many moons ago I drove a "cab-less" Ferguson Combine, couldn't see for dust and was eaten alive by the Cleggs!
 2016 Driving/riding year. - Dog
Is that yew in the bespoke vest and the short haircut then Peter?

:}
You say haircut... ;)
 2016 Driving/riding year. - Dog
Chief C4P leg-puller, that's me.

(*_*)
Latest Forum Posts