Motoring Discussion > Learner drivers on motorways Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Learner drivers on motorways - VxFan
Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.

Learner drivers will be allowed on to motorways for the first time, if new government plans are approved.

The lessons will not be mandatory and driving instructors will decide when their students are ready.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38464776

Personally I think it's a good idea providing they're properly supervised. Far better than a newly qualified driver being allowed to venture onto a motorway as soon as they've passed their test with no prior experience other than probably driving on a bypass.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Jan 17 at 01:50
 Learner drivers on motorways - bathtub tom
I reckon it can only be a good thing, it may teach them lane discipline, something that's seriously lacking if my experience over the holiday is anything to go by.
 Learner drivers on motorways - CGNorwich
Where do you find these motorways? None around here.
 Learner drivers on motorways - sooty123
Isn't norfolk the biggest county, in england, without a motorway?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 1 Jan 17 at 10:15
 Learner drivers on motorways - Rudedog
Will this be with an approved driving school or will parents/friends be allowed?

I noticed that they knocked on the head the idea of a minimum numbers of learner hours before the first test can be taken - I know there are students who can have a handful of lessons then pass within a week of starting but on the whole more practice is better, nothing wrong with maintaining a logbook recording your driving experience.
 Learner drivers on motorways - Bromptonaut
AIUI the m/way stuff is not mandatory. It will though need to be with an Approved Driving Instructor in a dual control car. Policy intention is try and reduce the 'fear factor' that leads to new drivers actively avoiding motorways.

Plenty of motorway round here albeit mostly standard 3 lane. If folks living close to M25 and it's Mancunian etc equivalents have a bit of multi-lane experience then so much better.
 Learner drivers on motorways - R.P.
Good idea.
 Learner drivers on motorways - Manatee
>> I reckon it can only be a good thing, it may teach them lane discipline,

It should have been compulsory years ago, by now the majority of drivers would actually have had practical training in driving on the b***** left.
 Learner drivers on motorways - John Boy
My eldest daughter, who lives in Norwich, passed her driving test last year. She started her driving career with minimal experience of dual carriageways, never mind motorways. I don't think it's particularly a Norfolk problem though. You'd have to go quite a way from where I live in East Sussex to find either type of road.
Yes there are quite a few bits of the country without dual carriageways or motorways At least in Norwich we have the near motorway standard Southern Bypass to practice on.

It is surprising the number of people who never use motorways - they are rather scared of them. I agree that laned discipline is something the British are rather poor on. Drove to Bruges and back last week and as usual impressed with how everyone pulls over after overtaking. It another story when you get back to Dover and the M20! Some lunatic speeding in Belgium though so I suppose we all have our faults.
 Learner drivers on motorways - rtj70
I took a driving lesson after passing my test so I could drive on the motorway and get some tuition. This was over 20 years ago. Money well spent and the tips I got are still applicable today.

One thing we had to do before going on the motorway was to put the BSM learner driver sign that would normally be on the roof in the boot. Because you can't be a learner driver on a motorway at the moment.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 1 Jan 17 at 13:13
 Learner drivers on motorways - Runfer D'Hills
My dad taught me to drive on his Volvo 240. He made sure I got onto dual carriageways as well as other types of road so the transition to using motorways once I'd passed didn't feel too much out of the ordinary. He also made sure I had lots of fast A road practice as well as town driving, and indeed he made sure I drove in the dark and in winter conditions under his supervision.

Probably a very good idea to give learners some M Way experience though. So many drivers seem to be confused or unclear as to the rules on them especially when it comes to middle lane hogging.
It is surprising the number of people who never use motorways.

I can think of two people i know that don't. Both find it too demanding mentally to even try, I'm pretty sure they've never even tried. A bit of confidence early on would no doubt done them the world of good.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 1 Jan 17 at 13:52
It is a pretty daunting thing to drive down a motorway for the first time I guess. Joining is probably the worst part and many never seem to use slip roads correctly. As AC says there are a lot of people temperamentally unsuited to driving and simply forced into it by necessity.
Joining is probably the worst part and many never seem to use slip
>> roads correctly.

I think that's it yes, trying to gauge quickly if to brake or not isn't for many people.

As AC says there are a lot of people temperamentally unsuited to driving
>> and simply forced into it by necessity.
>>

That's where self driving cars will come into their own i think.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwknRVjUBCg
 Learner drivers on motorways - henry k
>>That's where self driving cars will come into their own i think.

I shudder to think what happens when the auto pilot dies.

If "trained" airline pilots screw things up when "George" throws a wobbly what chance will
nervous drivers have?

Learner drivers on motorways - Dutchie
Good idea it is about time that motorway driving is part of the driving lessons.

Joining and leaving the motorway.Adjusting to the right speed and general make learners drivers feel more comfortable.

I have never seen the point ignoring motorways for learners.
> I shudder to think what happens when the auto pilot dies.
>>
>> If "trained" airline pilots screw things up when "George" throws a wobbly what chance will nervous drivers have?

Overall though they'd be far safer if a computer did nearly all the work for them. Of course they fail but then so people and for the nervous driver they'll fail far more often. Nothing can reduce accidents to zero but they'll be a good step in the right direction.
 Learner drivers on motorways - Harleyman
I was very fortunate when I passed my car test back in 1979; did it in the army, 2 week course with 2 students per car. If you passed first time at end of first week, the second week ( scheduled to accommodate re-sits) you got a week's instructor-accompanied training on motorways plus some more advanced driving instruction on defensive driving techniques.

I found it absolutely invaluable, and I'm surprised it's taken this long for the government to roll it out to all drivers.
Latest Forum Posts