Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - Tyre repair anomalies.
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 2

Volkswagen - Tyre repair anomalies. - Oldgit
Yesterday and at the start of the New Year, I was leathering off my car as I incessantly do, when I noticed a nice shiny Philips type screw, complete with captive washer deeply embedded into my new-ish (few hundred miles Michelin Primacy 3 tyre. Unfortunately and according to info found on t'internet, this penetration seemed to be in the region deemed unfit for the usual repair.
I checked the pressure and all seemed OK but knew that nowhere was open to effect a possible repair or tyre replacement. I wasn't sure how deep this screw had penetrated so tried to unscrew it slightly but was then faced with air loss as verified by a soap solution.

Some hours later and before I went to bed, I popped out with a torch and could see that the tyre had now almost deflated so realised that I would have to get something done today and at my age wasn't going to be putting my Spacesaver on myself.
Early this morning therefore, I phoned my Motoring Association and explained the problem and someone arrived in about 30/40 minutes.
I had expected an immediate changeover of tyres but it was suggested to me that the tyre could be plugged, as a temporary repair and would enable me to, at leisure, get remedial work done and this would be preferable to driving on a Spacesaver tyre.
I have to say that I was surprised that plugging a tyre was suggested, as in the '50s, 60s this was a common and legal way of fixing clean penetrations and I had my own kit of various size rubber plugs, insertion tool and bottle of liquid which I used to effect permanent puncture repairs many times. However it was later banned as being unsafe.

Anyway, the deed was done using some sort of gun and the tyre pumped up to 45psi! The bloke left and I adjusted the pressure and then tried a couple of my local tyre repair places and surprisingly found one open but later than usual and so popped over there whereupon the tyre was removed and was told that that a new one was necessary due to puncture proximity to outside of tread.
Again, surprisingly a new tyre was wheeled out from stock but when I saw that it was a Michelin Energy Saver rather than my Michelin Primacy 3 I declined and said I want all four tyres to be of the same type (not unreasonable?).
A new tyre, of my choice has been ordered and the 'old' carcass was fitted back on my rim and was quoted £104 for the new tyre but whether that was for the Energy or the Primacy 3, I'm not sure at the moment.
I'll return tomorrow, hoping that this irritating start to the New Year is finished.
I think that this is the third puncture I have had in the last 14 months but am not surprised considering how much detritus there is on our roads now.
 Volkswagen - Tyre repair anomalies. - mikeyb
I had a puncture last year - no spacesaver on the lexus just a can of gloop. I was at home so no drama. Phoned lexus assist (AA) who came over in about 20/30 mins - After having a look he found the offending screw and said he could plug it as a temporary repair - it held and didn't drop pressure at all. Guy told me it would probably be fine and last as long as the tyre, but they were not allowed to tell me that, and it should be considered a temporary fix to get to the tyre place.

Interestingly he told me it was a good job I didnt bother with the gloop stuff - said 9 time out of 10 it doesnt work and costs a few quid to replace the kit
 Volkswagen - Tyre repair anomalies. - Oldgit
Yep. Ive just looked at a few YouTube videos showing us how to repair simple punctures using plugging 'string'. There were many comments though as to how dangerous this is on radial tyres near the wall area and especially nowadays where all our cars have potentially higher top speeds than 'when I were a boy' I certainly would steer clear of any car that couldn't provide at the very least a Spacesaver tyre or better still a proper wheel as an optional extra. It's all to do with reducing weight and cost, I suppose.
Runflats would be the very anathema for me, though. All damage ultimately leads to expensive replacements, doesn't it?
Latest Forum Posts