Motoring Discussion > Thinking of going diesel?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 38

Thinking of going diesel?? - Dog
I road tested this www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608277196021 petrol-engined car today,
which turned out being a diesel. Luvly jamjar though, puts my old Forester to shame.

So I'm wondering if I could get on with the critter being I only do about 6000 miles per year.
I know that some DPF's do give mucho grief, but this being a Volvo (Ford) maybe it will be okay if I give it a clear out down the A30 2 or 3 times per month?

Gearbox is a dual wet clutch jobbie which drove just like a 'normal' auto gearbox.
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Dave_
DPF shouldn't be an issue Dog. The only potential problems are the traditional ones likely to stem from a low annual mileage; rusting exhausts and such like.

2 or 3 times a month sounds a bit excessive for a blast, once a month should be fine. The filters are designed to go 700-800 miles without a regen. Our Skoda Superb TDI DSG potters around on the school run for a fortnight then gets a 2-hour round trip up and down the A1 to see family. It's now on 65k miles, and I wouldn't know it had a DPF if it didn't say so on the logbook.
Cheers for that Dave, tis the sort of car which I wouldn't be too hard-pressed to just drive it without having any particular place to go anyway.

It might even be a tad more economical than my 10 year-old 2.0 ltr Petrol automatic Forester too ;)
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Bill Payer
>> 2 or 3 times a month sounds a bit excessive for a blast, once a
>> month should be fine. The filters are designed to go 700-800 miles without a regen.
>> Our Skoda Superb TDI DSG potters around on the school run for a fortnight then
>> gets a 2-hour round trip up and down the A1 to see family. It's now
>> on 65k miles, and I wouldn't know it had a DPF if it didn't say
>> so on the logbook.
>>
Always tough to get reliable information on these things, but our 2015 Tiguan with EA288 2 litre EU6 engine never passively regens in normal UK use as the DPF doesn't get anywhere near hot enough so taking it for a blast would be pointless.

VW's engineers knew this (altough the dealer and VW UK didn't) and it's set to actively regen based on soot loading or at 465 miles if one hasn't occured before. I believe the previous engine was the same.

The only issue we have is you can't tell it's doing a regen until you turn the engine off and get out of the car - then you can hear the fan still running and the car smells hot. It restarts the regen next time the car is used. Ours seems to be doing regens every 2-300 miles.

I understand this set-up isn't unusal so it may be that the car in the OP works in the same way.
 Thinking of going diesel?? - rtj70
My Passat CC occasionally would do an active region. You'd only know because the fan had kept running and it kept going for a while. In 3 years it didn't do it as often as I thought it might so it must have done passive regeneration too.
Cheers Bill.

The engine appears to be the 1.6 litre PSA Peugeot Citroen / Ford Duratorq engine.

I'll phone the Volvo pain dealer in the morning and see what the service departments advice would be.

The V40 is advertised in the United Kingdom as being "Made in Sweden", when, in reality, it is made in Belgium :)

~en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V40_(P1)
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Bromptonaut
How many valves?

The 16 valve versions of this engine have history for lunching turbos due to an internal strainer with a propensity to clog.

Richard W of this parish is expert on this matter and warned Me off a C3 Picasso with that motor.
>>How many valves?

I don't know but, on reading this www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters article I'm thinking maybe my original idea of a 2ltr petrol Mazda 3 would probably be the way to go for my mimsing around the country lanes of Cornwall.
 Thinking of going diesel?? - legacylad
Agree re the 2.0 Mazda 3 petrol, especially in 165 guise. Have you considered the Seat Leon ST with the 1.4 petrol? A highly rated power unit with 150 horse and plenty of torque.
 Thinking of going diesel?? - rtj70
>> the 1.4 petrol? A highly rated power unit with 150 horse and plenty of torque.

150PS and so about 148bhp. It has 250Nm of torque. I rate this engine but I'd be slightly biased.

If Dog is after an auto then this will have a 7 speed dry clutch DSG. The sort some might say avoid - not had any problems with mine since October 2014.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 3 Jan 17 at 00:14
>>If Dog is after an auto then this will have a 7 speed dry clutch DSG. The sort some might say avoid - not had any problems with mine since October 2014.

I'm buying used though, who knows what sort of life those dry clutches have led. The V40 is/was a wet clutch jobbie - still a risk buying 'pre-owned' of course.
>>Have you considered the Seat Leon ST with the 1.4 petrol?

Has to be an auto LL, so all VAG (DSG) cars are out of the question.
 Thinking of going diesel?? - legacylad
As I also buy used, out of warranty, and often privately, I too have no intention of getting such a box in future. I'd buy a 6yo BMW auto, although I'm not changing in the foreseeable future.
Half-decent auto gearbox in the Mazda:

"The SKYACTIV-Drive is a family of automatic transmissions, named SKY-Drive. Mazda rejected dual-clutch technology in automatic transmissions, because the dual-clutch behavior in certain situations was sub-optimal.

Instead, Mazda chose to re-design the conventional automatic transmission, making the torque converter take less duty while a multi-plate clutch disengages the torque converter most of the time.

The new SkyActiv automatic transmission was designed to have six gears forward, one reverse gear, a short torque converter and a clutch integrated with the torque converter"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv#SKYACTIV-Drive
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Bill Payer
>> Half-decent auto gearbox in the Mazda:
>> The new SkyActiv automatic transmission was designed to have six gears forward, one reverse gear,
>> a short torque converter and a clutch integrated with the torque converter"

Isn't that just the same as a lock-up clutch? I thought all torque converter autos did that?
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 3 Jan 17 at 23:22
>>Isn't that just the same as a lock-up clutch? I thought all torque converter autos did that?

Possibly, but it's widened :)

www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/skyactiv/skyactiv-drive/

And ... there's more:

www.motorauthority.com/news/1064742_mazda-rejects-dsgs-redefines-automatic-transmissions-instead
=>How many valves?

8 from 2011 onward: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Bobby
There is something about Volvos I like - possibly going back to the T5 estates that changed the Touring Cars and perception of Volvos. As a dog owner I should love them!

However when I see the dashboard layout it always puts me off - the "floating" centre dash always just looks too busy and I hate seeing all those buttons for a radio/phone.
I realise you need the buttons for dialling numbers, and on a touch screen all the "buttons" will be there but I just find it all too busy.

My current and last car have touch screen and remote steering wheel controls. Other than the initial set up, I cant remember ever doing any adjustments to the sound via the touch screen - always use the remote controls. And have never had to manually dial a phone number either!
 Thinking of going diesel?? - DP
>> There is something about Volvos I like - possibly going back to the T5 estates
>> that changed the Touring Cars and perception of Volvos. As a dog owner I should
>> love them!
>>
>> However when I see the dashboard layout it always puts me off - the "floating"
>> centre dash always just looks too busy and I hate seeing all those buttons for
>> a radio/phone.
>> I realise you need the buttons for dialling numbers, and on a touch screen all
>> the "buttons" will be there but I just find it all too busy.

I agree with all of this. I still rate my old S60 as one of my favourite cars.

I'm not sure you do need those buttons for dialling numbers. I had one buried away on the touchscreen interface on the CC, and I don't think I ever used it in 8 months. I can't remember the last time I made a call from the car that wasn't either to someone in my address book, or returning a missed call, both of which can be simply selected from a list.

For a company that has always done ergonomics and real world useability so beautifully well, I don't understand why Volvo has chosen to clutter up the dash with something like this. It ruins what is otherwise a quite elegant and clean design, and for something that's ultimately not really very useful.

Otherwise, a really lovely car.

Thinking of going diesel?? - Crankcase
Although I barely use it, the voice input on the S60 for phone control works really well, and fast too. It understands things like "dial oh seven nine double oh four" just as well and quickly as "call mum" or whatever.

It also, amazingly, works really well for the satnav too, getting destinations and road names and things right first time pretty well 100% for me.

By comparison the Renault one, which has similar functionality, is pretty slow and doesn't always work first time, although it's not a disaster.

And none of my Toyota ones, including the Lexus, were as good on actual recognition, although they did offer extra delights such as "what time is it", "I'm cold", "I'm hungry" and "where's the nearest petrol station", for example.

So chances are you never have to touch a button in the Volvo for anything phone related (assuming they all have voice control, I'm not actually sure about that. I imagine they do).

Thinking of going diesel?? - Oldgit
>> Although I barely use it, the voice input on the S60 for phone control works
>> ..............................

What's all this got to do with "Thinking about going diesel"?
My reply, as you know, was to a comment about the plethora of buttons in a Volvo.

We do thread drift here. I understand frangipane doesn't contain eggs, whereas marzipan does, for example. I might be wrong, I'm no great cook.

You know all this, Oldgit!
>> And have never had to manually dial a phone number either!

A lot of my on-the-road calls are to offices with a "Press 1 for sales, press 2 for parts" welcome menu. Only a touchscreen keypad in the Superb, I'd prefer the buttons actually.
>> until you turn the engine off and get out of the car - then you can hear the fan still running and the car smells hot

Ah. THAT would make a lot of sense. Had that twice in the last few weeks on the driveway at home, both times after returning from Nottingham*. That's a relief, I thought a sensor had got the yips.

*Lots of city centre car-park queues, then a 20-mile blast through mixed 30/40/50/60 limits. Perfect conditions to top off a nearly-full DPF with no steady-speed cruising to mitigate it.
Spent X hours yesterday reading up on these 'ere blimming DPF's in respect of the V40 I'm considering buying.

Even phoned the local Volvo pain dealer in Truro and had a chinwag with a nice young? lady in the service department about 'em.

Turns out they only refill the sump to 70% when carrying out an oil change, to allow for dilation (dilution?) with diesel when the DPF is doing a regen (WTF!)

Yeah, so, I also read a lot of 'stuff' on the Volvo forum about what engine oil diluted with diesel could do do to an engine over the long term (and what preventative maintenance y'all can do yourself)

The jury is still out Re: the V40 ... The Mazda 2.0ltr petrol is looking nice.

:o}
 Thinking of going diesel?? - sherlock47
>>Turns out they only refill the sump to 70% when carrying out an oil change<<

But I bet they charge for a fill to capacity! :)
 Thinking of going diesel?? - CGNorwich
"If the regeneration is unsuccessful due to an insufficient driving cycle the extra fuel injected into the cylinders will not burn and will drain into the sump. As a result, oil quality will deteriorate and the level will rise.

Most DPF equipped engines will have an oil quality/viscosity sensor but it is important that you check that the oil level does not increase above the maximum level on the dipstick as diesel engines can run on their own oil if the level is excessive – often to the point of destruction."

AA
What's the betting that the owners of diesel-engine cars which run on their own oil due to the high oil level, wouldn't know what a dipstick looked like, even if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.
Some (most? all?) current Volvos don't have dipsticks at all. Electronic gauge in the dash or nowt, mate.
Ah well, the 2014 V40 D2 auto doesn't have an ATF dipstick either I do believe, matey.
Ach, wasn't calling YOU mate, Dog.

Horrid term, I think (which will get Zero's antenna twitching, but so be it. I can take it, here or elsewhere).

PS "matey" is ok, confrère :)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 4 Jan 17 at 15:48
=>Ach, wasn't calling YOU mate, Dog.

Okay chum, no 'arm done.

;-)
 Thinking of going diesel?? - commerdriver
>> What's the betting that the owners of diesel-engine cars which run on their own oil
>> due to the high oil level, wouldn't know what a dipstick looked like, even if
>> it jumped up and bit them on the bum.
>>
pretty low I would think although a main dealer mechanic who over filled my Vectra about 18 years ago probably did, but still managed to mess it up.

We do sound a bit pompous when we assume that everybody else on the road is a wally, they may drive like them in some cases, but that is another matter.

Quite often hear the fan going on my car after I have parked it but don't reckon it is anything to do with DPF. My wife & daughters old Golfs have similar behaviour sometimes, as does the Commer, all of which have petrol engines. Just extra cooling required after maneuvering.
>>We do sound a bit pompous when we assume that everybody else on the road is a wally, they may drive like them in some cases, but that is another matter.

Crrrazy the amount of times I dipped the oil on a customers car, only to find I needed a longer dipstick.

Few years ago of course, but they are still out there I'll wager.

Did I ever tell you about the time my wife nearly put water in the engine of my Dolomite Sprint!!
 Thinking of going diesel?? - Dutchie
I haven't noticed any regen with the citroen.I don't drive like a non do, my misses is always telling me off for putting my foot down.

Manual gearchange on the citroen is sloppy but I'm getting used to it.I wouldn't worry about the auto box Dog you can look into things to deep and confuse yourself.

My wife never looked after any of my cars cooking and Ironing is her forte.>:)
>>I wouldn't worry about the auto box Dog you can look into things to deep and confuse yourself.

Story of my life I'm afraid Dutchie.

>>My wife never looked after any of my cars cooking and Ironing is her forte.>:)

I do all the cooking here, bake my own bread (in the oven!) even make a fruit cake once a week.

Talking of cakes, I always give neighb a couple of pieces of cake, and she gives us cakes etc. when she makes some.

Well, she gave us a HUGE piece of cake a few days ago and boy was it nice. It's called a boiled cake I believe tell Diane, topped with a thin layer of marzipan and icing. Tis the best cake I have ever tasted in my entire life!

Something like this I 'spose: allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/111/boiled-fruit-cake.aspx

Thinking of going diesel?? - nice but dim
Dutchie, a bit of pun in there isn't there? Citroen, forte?
 Thinking of going diesel?? - RichardW
Have put nearly 100k between our two 1.6 DPF equipped HDis over the last 5 years - no sign of any increase in oil level. And AFAIK there is no oil quality sensor - there is a low level sensor, had this on a couple of times when oil change is due.
Latest Forum Posts