Motoring Discussion > The plus of a cold morning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 47

The plus of a cold morning - Mapmaker
1. Having scraped the windscreen it is now properly clean. That doesn't often happen in London, traffic film is a sticky constant.

2. Time for a new battery; I've been thinking this for a bit but it *really* struggled today, I thought it wouldn't make it. I guess it is 12 years old so it hasn't done badly.
 The plus of a cold morning - Mapmaker
I bought a new battery and fitted it. Oddly the old one was still showing green. Need to wait for another freezing morning to see if it's better.
 The plus of a cold morning - DP
I've bought an old Focus with a QuickClear screen and felt very smug when we had a hard frost overnight last week. Unlocked the car, jumped in, fired her up, thumped the button and sat there as the ice started to melt, and slide down the screen . A quick flick of the wipers, and it was gone.

The joy was short lived as I noticed the inside was fogging up and wouldn't clear. It would appear the air-con is dead.

Ho hum.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 9 Jan 17 at 12:44
 The plus of a cold morning - legacylad
Likewise, my summer acquisition 11 plate Focus has the QuickClear screen. Are they standard on all Fords? My air con works very effectively, and although I don't need the QC screen on a morning as the car is garaged, it's useful if I leave the car out all day somewhere and collect in the evening when frosty.
 The plus of a cold morning - tyrednemotional
...at least you will be able to use the "QuickClear" to keep the windscreen fog-free. ;-)

Before blaming the aircon, however, I'd suggest a quick check of the pollen-filter, as old/non-renewed such are a prime cause of this issue (and I have experienced it on Fords even when the filter is not particularly old).

The plus of a cold morning - DP
I was hoping it might be the pollen filter, and was encouraged when I found that the old one was absolutely filthy. Full of hope, I installed a nice new activated carbon replacement, but it's made no difference.
 The plus of a cold morning - bathtub tom
>> It would appear the air-con is dead.

I understood air-con stops working below a certain temperature (5 degrees C?) to prevent icing up of the evaporator.
 The plus of a cold morning - Bromptonaut
>> The joy was short lived as I noticed the inside was fogging up and wouldn't
>> clear. It would appear the air-con is dead.

I know my aircon works but if car fogs up inside in sub-zero temperatures it won't clear quickly. I'd understood reason for this is aircon cutting out when outside air approaches freezing.

One reason warm water works better than de-icer spray is that it also raises the internal temperature of the glass removing internal mist. Mildly surprised quick-clear doesn't have that benefit too.
 The plus of a cold morning - jc2
>> One reason warm water works better than de-icer spray is that it also raises the
>> internal temperature of the glass removing internal mist. Mildly surprised quick-clear doesn't have that benefit
>> too.
>>

It does.
 The plus of a cold morning - Focal Point
"Mildly surprised quick-clear doesn't have that benefit too."

It does, but (a) it takes some time and (b) is a big drain in terms of the current used.
 The plus of a cold morning - MPZ
My wife recently jumped in her new BMW 1 series on a frosty morning. 5 minutes later she was back in the house asking "where is the switch for the front screen". When I told it doesn't have one she was job smacked.

Why more manufacturers haven't started fitting these is very strange. Heated rear windoes have been standard for 30 years or more, thank goodness.
 The plus of a cold morning - commerdriver
>> Why more manufacturers haven't started fitting these is very strange.
>>
I always assumed it was a Ford patent and not shared with other manufacturers
 The plus of a cold morning - VxFan
>> Why more manufacturers haven't started fitting these is very strange.

Didn't Ford have the Patent rights at one time, preventing anyone else using it?

That said, I guess it's run out now as a few other car makers are starting to fit them.
 The plus of a cold morning - rtj70
Some VAG cars certainly offer heated windscreens as an option. I'm not sure if they use wires or some other means. I should have had a heated windscreen on my Passat CC but the lease company messed up and left it off the order that went to VW.
A courtesy car (Corsa) lent to me by the garage last Sept had one. Whenever I used to drive Ford's for any length that had them fitted gave me a headache as my eyes were always drawn towards the heating elements, which were quite noticeable. The elements in the heated screen of the Corsa were barely visible. Odd though that Vauxhall have fitted it to the Corsa and Viva, but not to the higher spec larger car models. Not sure if the latest Insignia has one though.
 The plus of a cold morning - Pat
The XC60 has got one and I've never seen the heating element yet.

I just enjoy sitting there feeling my seat get really warm and watching the ice on the screen melt while I have a ciggy:)

It's a bit like around 50 years ago when I first stepped out of the bath on to carpet instead of lino.....you sort of know you've arrived at last!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 15:52
Pat, you know you've arrived when you have underfloor heating in the bathroom. Toasty tiles or nice warm hardwood.
Personally speaking, the journey continues. But one day.....
 The plus of a cold morning - henry k
Pat, you know you've arrived when you have
The optional heaters for the cup hoders in your car.
 The plus of a cold morning - Pat
Story of my life:)

Just when I get the feel good factor you two go and burst my bubble and give me something else to try and get!

Under floor heating hasn't reached the Fen yet and heated cup holders are reserved for the trike I'm trying to persuade Ian to get since I'm having trouble getting my leg over (the top box) now;)

Pat
Heated cup holders. Really. Is that serious or a figment of imagination ?
>> Heated cup holders. Really. Is that serious or a figment of imagination ?
>>
It is serious. Available Audi Q5 so not just on limos
I too was surprised but now find hot n cold versions.

www.iamaudi.com/img/Audi-Thermo-Cup-Holders-3.jpg
www.iamaudi.com/audi-thermo-cup-holders/
Last edited by: henry k on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 19:54
Heated cup holders my rrrs. A rather more expensive option than an insulated mug, of which I have several. I never drink whilst driving, or eat for that matter.
Probably because I'm a self righteous member of the IAM.
Just don't ask about giving it beans on some Dales roads ( hopefully when safe to do so!)
 The plus of a cold morning - PeterS
>>
>> Why more manufacturers haven't started fitting these is very strange. Heated rear windoes have been
>> standard for 30 years or more, thank goodness.
>>

I think I prefer the pre-conditioning feature of the A3. Either set the time you want the interior to be warm by, or, if you forget, use an app on your phone to turn on the heating. Then, when you go out to the car not, only is the windscreen defrosted, but every other window. And the car is a nice warm 22 degrees inside :)
And to think that I still have windy up windows in the rear of my 2011 Focus.
>> And to think that I still have windy up windows in the rear of my 2011 Focus.
>>
My X type has a rest for ones clutch foot.
Impressed ? It is an auto and the rest is by the front passenger's door -:((
For the driver's foot? Nowt.
 The plus of a cold morning - Old Navy
>> I think I prefer the pre-conditioning feature of the A3. Either set the time you
>> want the interior to be warm by, or, if you forget, use an app on
>> your phone to turn on the heating. Then, when you go out to the car
>> not, only is the windscreen defrosted, but every other window. And the car is a
>> nice warm 22 degrees inside :)
>>

All my cars have had that feature for several decades, it is called a fan heater plugged into the mains. I have also had a garage for decades so rarely need this amazing recent discovery of pre heating.
>>All my cars have had that feature for several decades,
>> it is called a fan heater plugged into the mains.

In the US the basic pre heating has also been common for many decades.

My X type can have a mains electric engine heater instead of the blanking plug.

>> I have also had a garage for decades so rarely need this amazing recent discovery of pre heating.
My garage has been put to much better use ( it was sized for the original Austin Sevens) now converted into a shower room etc.

How quaint to keep a car in a room :-)
 The plus of a cold morning - Old Navy
>> How quaint to keep a car in a room :-)
>>

How quaint to own a house so unsuited to ones lifestyle that you have to convert the garage into living space. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 11 Jan 17 at 09:00
 The plus of a cold morning - PeterS
>>
>> All my cars have had that feature for several decades, it is called a fan
>> heater plugged into the mains. I have also had a garage for decades so rarely
>> need this amazing recent discovery of pre heating.
>>

Up to a point that will achieve the same result, but possibly not at work, in a car park, airport or station ;)

Though, I do still prefer the simplicity of warm water...!
 The plus of a cold morning - Bobby
I used to have a big garage until we got the house extension done and it got halved in size and now used as a man-cave,

Few things give me more motoring related satisfaction that driving out the garage in the snow or heavy frost and driving past everyone while they scrape their screens!

Although truth be told, I probably used it more for after I had washed the car and I would put in the garage while drying / polishing it!
Of the 14 houses on the estate where I live, only 6 garage their cars. 6 of the houses have double garage doors x 7'. The cars that aren't garaged are simply too large, or too tight a fit, to go inside the garage. Two of us have converted the double 7' doors into a 15' door ( makes no financial sense admittedly) and I cannot understand why builders don't make 8' garage doors on new builds.
I suppose these days the vast majority of garages are not used for their intended purpose. People have a surfeit of 'stuff'. I don't ( excluding 5 sleeping bags, 4 sleep mats, 6 rucsacs).
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 23:06
Our current garage is a fair bit narrower than the last. Ignoring the fact it's full of stuff (and the up and over garage door is currently stuck)....

... getting the car out would involve unlocking the side gates, opening garage, reversing out onto the street. Then locking car. Locking gates and garage. Going back through the house (I did mention a side gate)... lock house and get back into car.... Warm water is easier :-)
>> Warm water is easier :-)

Agreed, plus heated front screen, heated rear screen, heated door mirrors and I have a petrol engine that pumps out heat in half a mile, meanwhile I can use boiling or simmer setting on the heated seats. Unfortunately I may need to use gloves for the first half a mile.

Or stay indoors til things improve :-)
I have heated seats and won't want to be without them on the next car. Well I could live without them. Of course I could. Not had a heated windscreen since Oct 2007. We had a very cold winter in 2009/10 and I 'managed'.

Got away with frameless windows on the Passat CC for 3 years as well! Windows need to drop to even open the doors.
>> Unfortunately I may need to use gloves for the first half a mile.

No heated steering wheel then? The Corsa courtesy car I had last Sept had one of those.
>> No heated steering wheel then? The Corsa courtesy car I had last Sept had one of those.
>>
A good example of how the specs have increased down through the ranges.
My X Type is ten years old and the optional extras list was quite small.
Quite a few additional standard features were on my 98 Mondeo Ghia X .
I guess Jaguar assume a pair of string backs are standard with Jaguar drivers :-)
 The plus of a cold morning - MD
>> reversing out onto the street.

I have NEVER understood that manoeuvre.
>> >> reversing out onto the street.
>>
>> I have NEVER understood that manoeuvre.
>>
I have always reversed from my car length "drive" into the street.
It reduces a little the exhaust fumes pumped towards my house.
It is quick and easy to park plus easier to reverse into a big space.
 The plus of a cold morning - Crankcase

>> I have always reversed from my car length "drive" into the street.
>> It reduces a little the exhaust fumes pumped towards my house.
>> It is quick and easy to park plus easier to reverse into a big space.
>>

Highway Code, he say:

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

I guess the get out is "if you can", but in the event of a prang it might be a slight black mark against you, perhaps. Not illegal but clearly not recommended.
Reversing onto a main road is actually illegal-definition of a "main road" is a road used by public service vehicles-now called PCV.
 The plus of a cold morning - Duncan
>> Reversing onto a main road is actually illegal-definition of a "main road" is a road
>> used by public service vehicles-now called PCV.

Quote the piece of legislation.
 The plus of a cold morning - smokie
As I'm sure you already know, "It is not illegal to reverse into a main road but it is not advisable - this is for safety reasons."

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q390.htm
 The plus of a cold morning - bathtub tom
>> I think I prefer the pre-conditioning feature of the A3. Either set the time you
>> want the interior to be warm by, or, if you forget, use an app on
>> your phone to turn on the heating. Then, when you go out to the car
>> not, only is the windscreen defrosted, but every other window. And the car is a
>> nice warm 22 degrees inside :)

Didn't the old 'land crab' Austin Princess have some pre-heat option back in the 1970s?
>> Oddly the old one was still showing green.

One of those circular dot type things? Merely an indicator, and generally an unreliable one at that.

I've had batteries with them on in the past, and have still showed green when they've been as flat as a pancake.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Jan 17 at 12:51
Green ball only shows level of liquid inside.
 The plus of a cold morning - R.P.
10 degrees here at 7.00am this morning.
A lot warmer than that in my bedroom
>> Green ball only shows level of liquid inside.

No, it is actually an indicator of how well charged the battery is (i.e. it's a hydrometer which provides a visual indication of the condition of the electrolyte), but the trouble is that it is only monitoring one cell. That's why it's useless as there are generally 5 other cells in a 12 volt battery that it isn't monitoring.
Latest Forum Posts