Motoring Discussion > Speed Cameras Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Speed Cameras - zippy
I was in the Leeds / Bradford / Bingley area this week and noticed one road with speed cameras every few hundred yards.

If the road has that many speeders then surely something needs to be done to make it safer and not just employ cameras?

I found myself constantly having to double check the speed limits (which ranged from 30 to 70) and that didn't help.

Also of note, one of the cameras was very well disguised. The camera unit was front facing and the same width as the pole supporting it. It was also angled so it appeared as slim as possible to approaching drivers, very easy to miss and very crafty! The camera looked like this one: tinyurl.com/znjuxzr

The roads in that area were a mess, with worn out road markings, confusing signs, dangerous parking and some really bad driving!
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 5 Jan 17 at 13:56
 Speed Cameras - devonite
We have a section of road on the A595 in the middle of nowhere that is National speed limited, the section of road is barely half a mile long and is signed as a "Speed check" area with a camera at one end facing down it. You barely have time to get to 60mph before you need to start slowing again for the bends at the ends! so this is obviously just a revenue raiser, as there is no justifiable reason for it to be there otherwise!
 Speed Cameras - smokie
I thought they reinforced that the cameras should be at a black spot rather than just being revenue earners some years back... I' m sure some counties removed all cameras as a result.
 Speed Cameras - commerdriver
>> We have a section of road on the A595 in the middle of nowhere that
>> is National speed limited.......
>>
>> You barely have time to get to 60mph before you need to start slowing
>> again for the bends at the ends!
>>

Doesn't sound like much of a revenue raiser as there is obviously no way anybody could be speeding on it from what you say

Is it possible that people do speed on it and have problems at the bends at the ends? Hence the camera.
 Speed Cameras - Bromptonaut
>> Is it possible that people do speed on it and have problems at the bends
>> at the ends? Hence the camera.

That's my guess too.
 Speed Cameras - CGNorwich
Probably because according to Wiki the A595 is the most dangerous road in Cumbria. The poor safety record of the road is highlighted by signs erected on the route stating "1245 casualties in 5 years".
 Speed Cameras - legacylad
Zippy, can you remember which road it was? I was born in Bradford, worked there for 15 years, spent my teenage years in Bingley, bought my first house in Bradford, my second in Bingley, third in Keighley, before finally escaping.
Speed cameras are a waste of time trying to fine the serious offenders. They drive on cloned plates. Don't normally bother with insurance, and if they do it's with a false name and address. Friends in Settle were the named insurers for someone living in Bradford who they had never heard of, and as all documents were sent by email they had no idea until the scroat was caught after a high speed crash. Even now I don't understand how it happened.
100mph+ in the 50 limit on the Bingley by pass happens regularly, and only police in fast pursuit vehicles catch them. And often the chase is abandoned when it endangers life.
 Speed Cameras - zippy
Its likely to be the A629 or A650 but I wouldn't swear to it!
 Speed Cameras - R.P.
Bradford and Bingely ?????!
 Speed Cameras - Bromptonaut
>> If the road has that many speeders then surely something needs to be done to
>> make it safer and not just employ cameras?
>>
>> I found myself constantly having to double check the speed limits (which ranged from 30
>> to 70) and that didn't help.

Similar to the road from Stoke on Trent to Leek and doubtless many other places on edge of major conurbations. Road follows a line defined if not by Romans than by era of horse, cattle and cart. A string of just about separate small towns and villages with a mile or so open country between.

Residents of the habitations put speeding in top three concerns expressed to police and council. Drivers want to do 50/NSL on open sections.

How do we square the circle?
 Speed Cameras - zippy
>>How do we square the circle?

Build a bypass!

Build lots and lots of them. They are needed. 30 miles for me to the nearest dual carriageway in the morning takes me 45 minutes because I am driving through congested little villages that are caked in vehicle pollution!

Should have been done years ago. I reckon the Govt. keeps some towns in areas with out decent transport links to keep property prices down so that poorly paid service workers can live there and service the more wealthy communities around them!
 Speed Cameras - NortonES2
Very doubtful. Would require intelligent, joined-up Government:)
Latest Forum Posts