Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - legacylad
My future step daughter and her husband emigrate in 3 weeks. No private sales currently on AT so I wondered how much less than traders asking price they should expect to sell.
Car in question is a V Focus 4dr petrol 1.6 Ghia. 95k miles. MOT May 2011, Tax end Nov. Comprehensive history, 4 good tyres,Ford CD, immaculate inside and presentable out. Three owners I think. Air Con was working 12 months ago but current lady driver has not bothered to repair. Maybe a regas, maybe more expensive!
I suggested ask £995, reduce to £850 ish. Is that realistic please?
I shall suggest they take photos and put on this site.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Zero
I can get a 1.8 ghia saloon of that age in good nick for 900 quid, or a 2001 2.0 ghia saloon with 60k up for same price.

With iffy aircon? I think your price is a bit stiff.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Marc
"Air Con was working 12 months ago but current lady driver has not bothered to repair. Maybe a regas"

Yes, why give people an excuse to chip money off? See if a regas fixes it. I know it sounds unlikely but I've read on the internet that KwikFit are good and reasonably priced for this service (not used them myself mind)

Stating the obvious but also give the car a good DIY valet and polish to show it at its best.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Perky Penguin
Somewhere buried in the Vauxhall website is a link to a truly free Glass's Guide valuation. If you can find it you might get somewhere
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Iffy
Don't think Glass's book stuff over 10 years old.

It's a Focus in tidy condition so a buyer shouldn't be too hard to find.

Having a boot knocks it back a bit, but I think £850 or so is about right.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - nick1975
sounds about right to me - sounds like a very decent car for the money

what would it be worth if it was a 5 door?
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - VxFan
>> Somewhere buried in the Vauxhall website is a link to a truly free Glass's Guide valuation. If you can find it you might get somewhere

Their website has just been revamped. It's now awful to navigate, but eventually found it:-

www.vauxhall.co.uk/offers-finance/value-my-car.html

Can't seem to get the link on that page to do anything expect pop up though.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Bellboy
i sold exactly the same car about 6 months ago in autotrader for £895
you only need one person who isnt bothered about a hatchback but wants to buy into the focus dream to be able to sell this car,so put £995 ono
dont do the recon gas bit keep stum let them bid you down a little if they find itas most people arent interested in aircon at this price anyway
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - legacylad
Thanks for all your informative replies.
I shall notify the relative parties.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - RattleandSmoke
If you're confident it would pass an MOT it might be worth trying to get 12 months ticket on it, but it still has a fairly long MOT. For £850 it is the sort of car I would snap up for my dad in instant, but we don't need one now as its passed its MOT.

I was looking at Focus saloons as they are far better value on the used market, but it means they are worth about £400 less even at this age.

Either way any Ford Focus with service history should be worth close £1k if its in good condition. The aircon shouldn't be an issue at this price range.
It would be with me, If I am buying a car for nearly a grand that comes with aircon I expect it to work. If it isnt I dont buy it. Plenty around that have working aircon
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Dieselfitter
Trouble is, the cost of fixing the aircon could well exceed the total value of the car (if my Galaxy was anything to go by). I count myself fortunate that the aircon on my Y Focus does still work, but if it fails, I won't bother getting it fixed. I take your point, but what should the OP do about it? Probably nothing. We're in (or close to) banger territory.
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Crankcase
The Glasses link is still available (I have it bookmarked).

For this car it says:

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£920
Average condition:
£810
Below average condition:
£700

The link is

tinyurl.com/bhboh
 Ford Focus - Emigrating. Valuation of Focus please - Skoda
Those glass's valuations via Vx don't appear to tie up with Glass's direct www.glass.co.uk/

For the 2 cars i just tried, one came out £500 higher via Vx link and the other one £250 higher (both were older cars).
"It would be with me, If I am buying a car for nearly a grand that comes with aircon I expect it to work. If it isnt I dont buy it"

Exactly, what else has packed up that the owner couldn't be bothered/couldn't afford to fix? Sends out the wrong signals.
Marc a grand is Bangor money and its more important that the rest of the car functions properly at this price rather than aircon which at 11 years old would be a bonus rather than a necessity for most realistic buyers on a tight budget
500 quid is banger money, At a grand I expect it all to work or I walk.

bye then..................................................
"and its more important that the rest of the car functions properly at this price"

Agree with you, but faults that have not been fixed invite suspicion. I would therefore seek out a different car that seemingly had been well maintained.

It's like those ads that state "cheap/easy fix" Begs the question "then why haven't you done it then?"

If the owner truthfully states that he knows the compressor, evaporator or whatever to be u/s and not economical to fix then that's fair enough but for the cost of a £50 regas I would have got this sorted long ago, banger or not.

Seems we'll just have to disagree.
i have a focus estate 1.6 zetec, 114k miles, blue, good interally, a few scuffs on the outside. no air con. Full service history, 12 months MOT, 6 months tax, 4 good tyres. Whats the value and how do i dispose?
Last edited by: nick1975 on Sat 14 Aug 10 at 22:27
Year?
sorry - 2002
Latest Forum Posts