Motoring Discussion > Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 125

Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Dog
www.nathanielcars.co.uk/

I'm looking at a Subaru XV petrol automatic they've got, and you know what them there Welsh are like ;)
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - henry k

www.heart.co.uk/wales/win/nathaniel-cars/#lTyeGyqToQqrgTsl.97

www.facebook.com/nathanielcars/
Thanks henry - a couple of disgruntled customers, but mostly positive reviews on mugtome.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - R.P.
Off my patch.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - MD
I know of a very successful private (ish) dealer here in not so sunny north Devon. Along with his opinion and that of another successful chap the mantra seems to be, from this end at least, to NEVER go across the bridge where cars are concerned.
But if it's Sheep that you desire.............
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Harleyman
I have a friend in the trade in Bridgend. Will ask her.
But if it's Sheep that you desire............

As a south Walian friend says "we **** them you eat them"
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Bromptonaut
>> As a south Walian friend says "we **** them you eat them"

Monkeys learn from sheep sha**ers:

www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/10/snow-monkey-attempts-sex-with-deer-in-rare-example-of-interspecies-mating
I'm biased probably from watching consumer programmes in Wales but South Wales seemed peppered with cowboy car-dealers. Not seen this dealer on the programmes though.
=>NEVER go across the bridge where cars are concerned.

Puppies too I hear, although they can't ALL be unscrupulous puppy farms.

=>I have a friend in the trade in Bridgend. Will ask her.

Thanks Harley man.

=>South Wales seemed peppered with cowboy car-dealers. Not seen this dealer on the programmes though.

Appears to be a multi-dealership selling new Mitsubishi, Subaru, and, um MG, so maybe not an Arthur Daley set up.
tbh dog they are all ruddy cowboys. I went to look at a new van last Thursday for something to do whilst the pooch was in Exeter under the knife. The utter carp that the salesman came up with would make you cringe. They think that we all know SFA, but I put him straight on a point or two.
I've spoken to quite a few car dealers lately, so I can only but agree with what you say.

Took the missus to see the Volvo V40 last week, the salesman tried some smooth talk on her - I could tell by her face she wasn't having any of it, an Essex girl see :)

The thing is Martin, most if not all of us (apart from Lud) have a wealth of knowledge and experience where cars are con-cerned, so try as they might, they can't pull the wool over our eyes.
I've spoken to my friend. Her dad, who's also a friend, runs a well-respected garage business in Bridgend; he has bought cars from them, and if they were dodgy he would have said so.

Not much to go on but hope it helps.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Bobby
Maybe not allowed to suggest this but for more local information, join Pistonheads forum and ask in the regional sections.
I did that when buying a car for my son that was 150 miles away and got great replies.
>>I've spoken to my friend. Her dad, who's also a friend, runs a well-respected garage business in Bridgend; he has bought cars from them, and if they were dodgy he would have said so.

Thanks for doing that Harleyman.

>> for more local information, join Pistonheads forum and ask in the regional sections.
I did that when buying a car for my son that was 150 miles away and got great replies.

Good idea Bobby, I did join Pistoheads some years ago actually, although I never posted on there.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - spamcan61
Judging by Companies House data they look OK, been around for a while and the directors don't have a string of similarly named companies waiting in the wings:-

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02100834
Cheers spam. I've found a few negative reviews on-line, including a case of lying about FSH on a Merc.

Case of caveat emptor I reckon!
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Duncan
But, but, but, is it a good idea to go so far away for a car. Just in case, with the best will in the world, something goes wrong?

I am sure you have done this, there are a number of petrol auto XV on Autotrader

This link will take you to Autotrader, not some den of iniquity. Sorry.

tinyurl.com/zavhfwc
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 11 Jan 17 at 09:10
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - VxFan
Duncan,

Are you ok with your postcode being visible in the AT link, or have you used someone else's?
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - legacylad
Dog, I presume you discounted the Mazda 5 petrol auto? Similar size to the Subaru, and the 2.0 petrol has supposedly trouble free mechanicals. After selling my 330 last year I had test drives in two of the 165 horse manual models. I was very impressed with the handling, but in the end decided it was too small ( I'm hankering after a decent sized estate as I had a trailer with the 330) and I had gotten used to a bit more ooomph.
>> I presume you discounted the Mazda 5 petrol auto?

The dealer (in Swindon) only offered me £2k for my old Forester whereas the place in Brigend, Wales, is willing to go to £2.5k.

The Mazda is clearly a better car - in all areas, but the Subaru XV is AWD and, tis something different.

I haven't parted with the green folding stuff yet though (watch this place) :)
I meant a Mazda3, not 5.
Brain fade
Didn't realise you needed/ wanted AWD. Sorry.
My brother recently bought a '63 plate Octavia estate 4x4 diesel. Don't know why he wanted 4wd, which is something I don't envisage having again, unless my friend wants to sell me his AMG A class rocket very cheap in a few years. By which time I'll be too old and heading toward mimsing territory.
As if...
I would have thought this time of year is a good time to sell a Forester privately. Local newsagents, AT, Gumtree, network in the pub or email all your contacts. What's the WBAC, and their ilk, valuation?
>>I meant a Mazda3, not 5.
Brain fade

I never noticed that.
Eye fade

>>Didn't realise you needed/ wanted AWD

I've had an AWD Forester for a number of years now and haven't been stuck in the snow or ice once.

We've not had any appreciable snow fall in for a number of years now :}

>>I would have thought this time of year is a good time to sell a Forester privately

Bit funny about selling a 10 year old car to anyone in case the engine or gearbox goes breasts up.

Here's the Mazda 3 in Swindon I was interested in. Still homeless I see - could have been here if they had upped their px offer on my old Sub. Such is life.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611199908440
>> Here's the Mazda 3 in Swindon I was interested in. Still homeless I see -
>> could have been here if they had upped their px offer on my old Sub.

Instead of upping their offer, why not see if they'll lower the sale price instead?
>>Instead of upping their offer, why not see if they'll lower the sale price instead?

:-D

Worth a try I suppose. Good price though for a low mileage 2016 2.0ltr jobbie and, the salesman told me it had already been reduced in price but, I'll contact him tomorrow = nothing ventured nothing gained!
>> Worth a try I suppose.

Well here's a bargaining tool. It hasn't been taxed since 21st Sept 2016 (according to the DVLA). So it's probably been sat around on a forecourt for approx 3½ months.

Granted the sale price is about right (according to MyCarCheck) but at the moment it's dead metal taking up space on a dealers forecourt, whereas something more appealing could be sat there in its place if they were to get shot of it by knocking a few quid off the asking price.
Quite fancy it myself for the old Gal, but the new van (I wish) would get in the way!!

Regarding value I thought the same too. Seems quite a bit of car for very little money and I'm a cautious so and so.
S'funny, the Subaru XV in Wales isn't taxed or MOT'd either. I did mention it to the sales fella, and he said they do it when the vehicle is sold - it signals to me that they have had it sitting on their forecourt for quite some time - maybe I have a knack of picking less-appealing cars :)
Could also explain why they offered me 500 notes more in px than all the other dealers I've been in contact with.

MyCarCheck prices for my old Forester are:

Auction: £1780

Trade in: £1950

Private sale: only £2160??

Forecourt: £2530??

One here two years older than mine with DOUBLE the mileage, going for 3 big ones:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612180686137
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Lygonos
Tax is irrelevant as it would have been refunded to the last owner at the time of sale/trade-in.

No MOT on the other hand is pretty dumb as it wouldn't be available for a test drive legally.
>>No MOT on the other hand is pretty dumb as it wouldn't be available for a test drive legally.

I did think of that actually, weird, but it is in Wales.
>> >>No MOT on the other hand is pretty dumb as it wouldn't be available for
>> a test drive legally.
>>
>> I did think of that actually, weird, but it is in Wales.
>>

Vehicle on trade plates does not, AFAIK, require MOT.

>> Vehicle on trade plates does not, AFAIK, require MOT.
>>

Missed edit; just checked and they do.
>> maybe I have a knack of picking less-appealing cars :)

Count yourself lucky you don't want a Vauxhall then. You'll never hear the end of it from some folk on here ;)
Saw a brand new Cascadia being trailered by a local dealer yesterday. Seen a few about - what's with them ?
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - spamcan61
>> Saw a brand new Cascadia being trailered by a local dealer yesterday. Seen a few
>> about - what's with them ?
>>

Dunno really, been out 2 years or more now IIRC and I think I've seen 3. Not sure what market it's aimed at, but it seems to have missed. Doesn't seem to be particularly Astra or Insignia based, so not sure what parts bin they raided. Maybe it's popular on the continent .
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - PeterS
>> Dunno really, been out 2 years or more now IIRC and I think I've seen
>> 3. Not sure what market it's aimed at, but it seems to have missed. Doesn't
>> seem to be particularly Astra or Insignia based, so not sure what parts bin they
>> raided. Maybe it's popular on the continent .
>>

Moderately popular with the retired on the south coast...though possibly Motability financed ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 01:41
Had a look on Autotrader there seem to be a few 138 bhp petrol ones for a lot less than sticker prices
Even the Vauxhall Corsa (some versions) have a heated windscreen, park assist AND a touch screen, I hear!
And a heated leather steering wheel.

I spotted a new Viva the other day with full leather interior. What is it all coming too?
I'd like to live to see the day starting handles make a comeback.

(*_*)
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - CGNorwich
My Lada Riva had one.
I'm surprised at that, I tuned many a Lada Riva but don't recall them having one. I remember hurting my wrist once trying to 'turn over' an old Morris Minor I was working on at Nine Elms in Vauxhall many moons ago.
I didn't have 'the knack' see, so gripped the starting handle with my thumb wrapped round the handle instead of on top of it.
We live and learn, sometimes.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Pat
When I first started driving lorries all those years ago the tipping trailer used to have a donkey engine slung on the chassis and I had to 'wind that up' to raise the trailer.

Some of them used to turn backwards though and that used to be really difficult when you'd always been used to cars that wouldn't start unless you got the starting handle out and wound them the 'proper' way.

.....and now I feel really old!

Pat
>>.....and now I feel really old!

Tis all in the mind really, I'm an OAP in September, but feel (and think) like a 40 year old.
I have a Sister who is 85 this month, but in her mind she is decades younger (pity about the rest of her though!)

This in some way signifies that the real me, inside, call it the soul, spirit or whatever, will go on long after my mortal body has 'given up the ghost' .
They certainly did Dog. Here is one in action.

Still got various bits of my Lada's toolkits including a pump which I still use for my wheelbarrow. Yes I know not much different to a Lada! I'm sure Rattle remembers them - he's the forum Lada expert.

youtu.be/PRMaXqKqJa0
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 12 Jan 17 at 17:09
Awful cars IMO CG, although an improvement on the Moskvitch (spell checker wanted to change that to Shostakovitch. I worked on those too, and the Polski Fiat, Yugo, Skoda, even the 2-stroke Wartburg Knight.

I've been to Wartburg ... just saying :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartburg#/media/File:Wartburg_Eisenach_DSCN3512.jpg
Yep pretty awful. But all I could afford at the time. Pretty crude but they gave me family transport and took me on holiday and were quite easy to fix even with my very basic abilities. Best feature was the heater - absolutely unbearable on full! And there was always the starting handle!
>>And there was always the starting handle!

Usually stored under the drivers seat and having certain persuasive attributes in any sowf lunden traffic argy bargy :(

>>Pretty crude but they gave me family transport and took me on holiday and were quite easy to fix even with my very basic abilities

Verily, they were an affordable VFM car, purchased by folk who would rather have a new car, than a used car of similar value. Like my postman who is looking to spend £12k on a Dacia Sandero Stepway, whereas I would rather buy a more up-market used car for that money.

I treated all customers cars the same, be they £200 old bangers, or fairly new models, probably why I had so much repeat business :)

Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Bromptonaut
>> Awful cars IMO CG, although an improvement on the Moskvitch

Mrs B's parent's ran a Moskvich, probably a 1500, in seventies. They had inherited a personal registration, LOV21, and at time it was only possible to transfer plates to a brand new vehicle*. Moskvich fitted the bill and while limited in comforts suited as her Dad who was an accomplished engineer and could remove dismantle and re-assemble entire engine in a weekend.

*The equivalent of retention in those days was to put reg on cheapest moped available.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Ted

I dealt with many hundreds of Ladas in one way or another. I don't ever recall a Riva having a handle. They had a deep rubber strip along the bumper, plus the number plate where a handle would go.

The one in the video isn't a Riva, it's a BA3 (VAZ) or 1200, the earlier model. We called them ' Potting Sheds ' !
You are no doubt correct Ted. I had two. The first beige one must have been a 1200 and the second chocolate brown one I'm pretty sure was a Riva. There was little difference between the two though. One of them certainly had a starting handle and I rather though both did but I wouldn't swear to the fact.

Used to be the but of many jokes in the office car park but they gave me cheap transport.

That reg must be worth a pound or two Bromp.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Mike H
>> I've been to Wartburg ... just saying :)
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartburg#/media/File:Wartburg_Eisenach_DSCN3512.jpg
>>
We were there last year for a short break. Lot of history in the town, plenty to see as well as the Wartburg, but not particularly appealing as a town. Quite something to be standing in the church where Martin Luther preached.
>>Quite something to be standing in the church where Martin Luther preached.

Affirmative. I also visited Dresden and this place in Weimar while I was 'over that way'

www.klassik-stiftung.de/en/institutions/museums/liszt-house
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Mike H
>> >>Quite something to be standing in the church where Martin Luther preached.
>>
>> Affirmative. I also visited Dresden and this place in Weimar while I was 'over that
>> way'
>>
>> www.klassik-stiftung.de/en/institutions/museums/liszt-house
>>
Yep, been to Dresden and Leipzig as well. Dresden very interesting, Leipzig even more so. Amazing to see how original Dresden looks, despite consisting of what a friend of mine calls "late 1940s restoration architecture" :-)
>>Yep, been to Dresden and Leipzig as well

I visited Leipzig too. Hamburg, the Harz/Brocken, Luebeck, Rostock, Stralsund, Peenemunde and ... I've picked up Amber from the beach on the Isle of Rugen oop North.

>>Amazing to see how original Dresden looks

Absolutely! ... I bought some postcards there showing how it looked in 1945 :( and bought a 'proper' hotdog from a street seller :)

Never got to Berlin though.
>> >>Yep, been to Dresden and Leipzig as well
>>
>> I visited Leipzig too. Hamburg, the Harz/Brocken, Luebeck, Rostock, Stralsund, Peenemunde

Dogsby....Did you go on the train to Brocken ? We did. Sturdy little Dampflok engine with plenty of steam power. Great views on the way and up at the top.

Here's a short driver's eye view. I made SWM sit on the buffer with our videocam !.......Not !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAAoBZasKu0
>>Dogsby....Did you go on the train to Brocken ?

Nah, Mercedes 230CE.

>>Here's a short driver's eye view. I made SWM sit on the buffer with our videocam !.......Not !

Grrreat stuff (I watched it all) reminds me of home: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuw6Ld2RYU

You have some nice mammaries Teddy ;)
Stepping back in time, I had to go and talk to one of the contractors working on site yesterday. He was sat in his 09 reg Transit pickup at the time playing on his phone. He opens the window as I approach and by his arm movement it became clear it had manual windows!

I didn't think any vehicle still had them.
My 2011 Focus has wind up windows in the rear. Very useful actually because if I go off on errands leaving oldies on the back seat for 30 mins they can regulate the interior temperature.
What you need are opening quarter lights. Whatever happened to them?

>>What you need are opening quarter lights. Whatever happened to them?

I paid extra to have them fitted to my VW Transporter - to make it easier for tealeaves to gain entry.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - henry k
>> Are you ok with your postcode being visible in the AT link, or have you used someone else's?
>>
At the risk of being sent to the tower ? Try SW1A 1AA or a little more local KT8 9AU, the place is empty :-)
>> At the risk of being sent to the tower ? Try SW1A 1AA or a little more local KT8 9AU, the place is empty :-)

AT themselves used to have 3 or 4 postcodes listed on their website for people to use. Can't seem to find them among their menus now though.
>> >> Are you ok with your postcode being visible in the AT link, or have
>> you used someone else's?
>> >>
>> At the risk of being sent to the tower ? Try SW1A 1AA or a
>> little more local KT8 9AU, the place is empty :-)

I sometimes use TW2 7DA.
>> Duncan,
>>
>> Are you ok with your postcode being visible in the AT link, or have you
>> used someone else's?
>>

A.N.Other's.

Thank you for the thought.
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 11 Jan 17 at 14:04
>>I am sure you have done this, there are a number of petrol auto XV on Autotrader

Just a few in my price range though Duncan. The first one is in Wales again. The second one is, um, orange!!
The rest are over my budget.
As a matter of interest what type of auto is in that Mazda?
"A new-generation highly-efficient automatic transmission that achieves excellent torque transfer efficiency through a wider lock-up range and features the best attributes of all transmission types"

www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/skyactiv/skyactiv-drive/
Hi Doggo. I've read a few reviews on the Mazda skyactiv. I think there's a few issues and thinking on I would avoid.
>>Hi Doggo. I've read a few reviews on the Mazda skyactiv. I think there's a few issues and thinking on I would avoid.

Only just caught this Martin, those new post thingies don't always work. Mazda is orf now anyway, am going for the XV in Wales, tis Quartz Blue wiv privacy glass:

images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/89716011.jpg
Lookee what I found: www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-8Av7espI
Not the prettiest around is it? Very unappealing rims. And that orange colour, on a slug of a car? I can almost understand orange on a Focus ST. Oh dear.
I didn't mind the orange one bit, but I do concur re: the wheels. A bit too Brixton for me.
I don't mind the look of it actually leglad, but then aesthetics are the very last thing on the mind of anyone choosing to buy a Subaru, in preference to the average domestic appliance ;)
Excepting the BRZ, which aesthetically and in the right colour, is decent looking, I couldn't agree more.
>>Excepting the BRZ, which aesthetically and in the right colour,

That lovely blue colour?
Absolutely. The metallic grey would also do at a pinch.
In truth, I need something more practical to carry my petrol mower, work platform, etc.

I'm still waiting for my trade friend to get in touch and say he has found something to suit my reduced budget, but the Focus is fine for the time being.
XV day minus one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgzOnkDqlc&feature=youtu.be

:)
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Roger.
Nearly as good as a Lada Niva!
Are you excited Dog?
Sincerely hope the handover goes smoothly and that it gives you years of trouble free motoring
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - ToMoCo
I started reading this thinking you were buying and old Subaru SVX :D

>>Nearly as good as a Lada Niva!

But not half as reliable ;)

>>Are you excited Dog?

Not really LL, bought toooooo many cars, like you :)

>>I started reading this thinking you were buying and old Subaru SVX :D

Had to look that one up! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX
Quite sad to think that I shall never again be excited when buying a 'new to me' car. Although I enjoy driving ( in my part of the world, and road trips overseas ) the days of being 'excited'... my Marina TC, Spitfire, 205 GTI,Audi 80 Sport, are long gone.
Even if I had unlimited disposable funds I would have zero interest in a Ferrari, Bentley or such. A rapid, inconspicuous estate fulfils all my requirements, although a humble MX5 would satisfy my requirements for roof down motoring, summer or winter. Out of 45+ cars owned, I can only think of 6 purchased new... Transporter Syncro, Volvo 240 GL estate, mk 1 Polo, ( RWX 566R) Mk1 205 GTI, Hillman Avenger estate, and Mk1 Elise ( which brought huge amounts of joy in many forms after some personal unpleasantness)
Pass the Bovril....
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 16:58
Erm, I haven't actually bought the car yet LL. I'll be taking my cheque book with me but, if something isn't quite right, I'll shuffle orf back to Cornwall.

I'm not looking forward to the drive there and back at all at all, even if the weather is 'on my side'.
I'll just engage cruise control and have a lay down in the back I think.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - mikeyb

>> Even if I had unlimited disposable funds I would have zero interest in a Ferrari,
>> Bentley or such. A rapid, inconspicuous estate fulfils all my requirements,

I've always fancied a past generation Audi RS6 - discrete enough to not shout look at me, but plenty fast enough
*UPDATE*

I didn’t buy the Subaru XV in Wales after all. I looked at a few Rav-4 diesels but decided I wanted a petrol automatic.

Most late-model cars bore me rigid TBH, and I very nearly stuck with the old tried-and-tested Subaru Forester which I’ve had for 4 years.

Anyway, I bought this ole thing to tide me over, until something decent catches my eye:

m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/32549314682/

>> Anyway, I bought this ole thing to tide me over, until something decent catches my
>> eye:
>>

Yes, they do seem to be popular with older drivers. ;-)
I'm an OAP in 7 months. Yeehaw!
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - The Melting Snowman
Looks like the dogs have a cosy life.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Clk Sec
Is the loo FWD?
Leather interior so no more tiny Pointer hairs which are impossible to remove from velour or whatever it is upholstery.
I liked my CRV - not quite rapid enough in the final analysis.
Tis no Subaru, that's for sure.
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Manatee
What injun is it Perro?
Tis a 2.0i VTEC auto: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/cr-v-2007/
4x4 ?

Cancel that - they all were then.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 4 Feb 17 at 21:45
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Manatee
I had one of those, albeit in a 2002 CRV2. Not the quickest off the mark with a 4 speed slushbox, nor very economical. I used to get 26-30mpg if I remember correctly. Liked it though.
>>4x4 ?

Not permanent like the Subaru.

>>Not the quickest off the mark with a 4 speed slushbox, nor very economical

The 2.0 Forester auto was much more lively off the mark, just don't mention the MPG!!

I used to get around 53 out of my 2008 Diesel. Fine, capable car - load lugger, never got stuck in snows of 2010..
This one is the EX model with voice-activated satnav. Um gonna have a play with it tomorrow and ask it to 'take me to your leader' :o

That looks nice, Perro. It was on my list to replace the Grand Vitara but the slushbox RAV4 came up first. Very nippy but not even thinking about the petrol used. It's only munny. Done most of the towing electrics today until me fingers seized up with the cold. Looking forrard to taking the shed out with the extra 50BHP.

Sold the GV a couple of weeks ago. Put it up at £1250. Bloke came on the tram after me saying to him I'd take £900. Went away after hardly looking at it. Sod it, altered the ad (Gumtree) to £1350 and got a couple of guys round. The would be buyer loved it and offered me a grand. Paid cash and drove it away. Txted me a week later to thank me and said how delighted he was with it !..... nice.

You might just keep the CRV, buddy. Is it column change ? I've driven Silver Shadows that had autochange on the twig and loved it. Suits an old duffer to be !
Please can you clarify at what age one becomes 'an old duffer to be'?
When one divorces a 330i. 0:-)

About 70, Legsby.....I'm a year into dufferhood.
How droll MD
Talking of which,my nephew to whom I sold it, and is now in married quarters @ Brize, seems to have commandeered his Dads Octavia estate. So my bruv is driving around in it, as I found out last Thursday when we met to discuss the following days funeral plan of action.
Now.... as nephew is in the Falklands this summer for 4 months and my bruv gets his Octavia back, it seems a shame to lay it up for the duration......
>> Please can you clarify at what age one becomes 'an old duffer to be'?
>>
>>

When your grandchildren become articulate enough to voice the sentiment.

And your daughter backs them up. >:(

Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 5 Feb 17 at 04:57
>>You might just keep the CRV, buddy. Is it column change ?

Nay, the short-throw gearchange sprouts out of the dash.

I px'd my Forester for a small handful of shekels as I couldn't be a$$esd with selling it privately.
A couple of yokel hairy-assed geezers expressed their interest in it, but I didn't want the ag if the engine or gearbox went breasts up.

The ole woman likes the car, now she's got used to it, only thing she doesn't like is the reversing camera so um gonna play a game this morning where I stand behind the car while she reverses up to me using said camera.

RIP :o
Nice car, Dog. Has it clocked many miles?
53k CS .. one owner + full pain dealer history.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 5 Feb 17 at 11:05
That should do you for another 10 years...
Or until I find something half-decent CS ;)
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - helicopter
Good choice Dog... nice looking motor .

Welcome to the ranks of old bufferhood.

I say that as a 67 year old who last year exchanged a 2.4 EX Accord for a 2.2 EX Diesel CRV .

I still have not come to terms with all the bells and whistles on it......but it does everything I need and more. Booked it in for its first MOT this month.

Please please confirm that the abandoned looking bearded fellow in his pants in the photo is Catweazle and not you !!
Thanks retpocileh. I hadn't long left the dealers when I had a warning light come on. It was (still is) orange so I wasn't too worried about it. Turns out to be the deflation warning system, probably due to a tyre being replaced before I brought the car home. I'll reset the system when I've returned from walkies.

Another thing which has cropped up is that I now need a step ladder when cleaning the car, and I'm 6ft tall!!

The Cat in the pic is traveler John Bennett, Addisford, Dolton, Devon. c1980 who is a tad slimmer than me ;)

Obviously no access to wheelie bins in Cornyworl.

My engine management light was on when I bought the Raver. Pal round the corner with a garage did the test and found it was a Lambada sensor, as the seller said. He turned it off for me telling me it was one of the lower two but couldn't say which one. They are the same but about £60 each. Booked the MOT while it was off but it came on 100 yds from the garage. Me tester put it down as an advise.........he's never failed anything for me, car or bike.

Called at Rymans on the way home and bought some small round stickers. A black one covers the light neatly until I fix it when it's a bit warmer....or not !

On the bonus side, I found two more drink holders hidden for the back passengers !
>>Me tester put it down as an advise.........he's never failed anything

Sounds like a brown envelope job to me Teddy ;)

Just checked the price of tyres for this thing 225/60/R18/100H Dunlop Grandtrek = £123 from mytyres :(
As it happens I have garden waste wheelie bin which I bought from the council, and have to throw them some money now and again for them to empty the thing!
 Anyone know anything about this dealer in Wales?? - Lygonos
The 05-plate CRV petrol auto we had before the FRV is still going at well over 170k miles now according to the MOT site.

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Stick in Honda and SK05LXD to see the extensive failures it has had in its time.

(Not much other than bulbs and droplinks)
Only 117k miles to go then in my ole thing.

Got intimate (washed it) with it over the weekend (more curves than a woman!) it's in VGC for a 6 year old car.
Very well screwed together. A few German-made parts under the bonnet I see.

I did consider another Subaru, but inside, and equipment wise, the CR-V is a much nicer place to be.
They are made in Swindon and cvery well made as well. I might go back to one day.
Yep ... Jap car, made in Britain, spent most of its life in Botus Fleming (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botusfleming )
So a proper born & bred Westcountry car.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 10:08
Latest Forum Posts