Motoring Discussion > Renault Master - Would you buy... Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 14

Renault Master - Would you buy... - MD
... A 16 plate van that had sub 20 miles on the clock. Pre reg I guess it would be, but that clearly had been sitting around somewhere for a fair time.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - Dog
If 'the price is right' and with just 20 miles on the clock I would. I'd do my homework first though and find out everything about it that I possibly can.
Good morning young man. I've just delved into it a bit more and they say in their blurb that they have 10 of. A cancelled order they say. I don't care much for blurb and I guess it makes little difference whether it's true or false, but it is a fair bit of kit. I sat in one elsewhere last week and it's a very nice place to be.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - Simon
Bear in mind that you have lost a minimum of 5 months warranty and possibly up to 10 months ish, there or thereabouts.
Yes I realise that, but they've got 4 years/100k anyway. I could live with that.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - Bobby
Slight thread drift - just when the new Transit came out I spoke to a local hire fleet owner and he advised that they were moving away from Transits to Renault and Vauxhalls. Transits had just gotten too dear.

Whats the feeling now amongst the "white van man" customers? Personally, I haven't seen many new shape Transits on the road? Maybe that's more of a sign that the previous generation were so sturdy?
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - mikeyb
I dont know the numbers, but locally I see very few newish transits, but lots of renaults, vauxhalls and vw's

Maybe its just perception as there is more choice now
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - sooty123
I wouldn't, i don't like the interiors. I think the reason there are less transits on the road is they are more expensive. We've not got any new ones bar a minibus. I'd go for ford though, as I like the interiors nicer place to be.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - legacylad
When 'in trade' I had three Transporters over the years, my first being one of the very last rear engined TD Syncros. Bought at a huge discount after being sat on the docks at Harwich for a year, or so I was told. My last was a LWB Hi Roof 2.4 5 cyl diesel. It was so reliable I kept it for 10+ years and was never tempted to change. When I sold it I felt like I had lost a family friend and waved it off!
They all sold within days of being advertised for very good money
Between Transporters 2 & 3 I bought a MB Van. It ended in tears and solicitors letters, and was rejected within 3 months with thecsupplying dealer refunding my money. And legal costs.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - Dog
I bought a new 2.1 injected (petrol) auto trans Transporter back in the 80's for my mobile car tuning business.

Really great to drive, much better than the Colt L300, Hiace, Suzuki, and Honda's I had before.

The brain went funny after 5 years = £500, followed by the exhaust system = another £500

Sold it with the tuning business in '92 and the new chap hit a car with it ... after removing the expensive roo bars I'd had fitted.

These are what the ole woman puts in the wardrobe full of her clothes in my bedroom.
Thems is very good IMO:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dehumidifier-Compact-Crystals-Moisture-Trap-Stop-Damp-Mould-Mildew-Condensation-/262487912836
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - devonite
just been talking to a friends hubby who is also a Builder, he has a 13 plate VW transporter which his wife uses for the Pub, and he has an 09 plate Transit for his work van. Of the two he says he would have the VW over the |transit anyday, although he cannot fault the Ford. When the Tranny dies he plans to take over the VW and buy wifey another VW. Guess that's a fair comparison for you to mull over!
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - madf
One near neighbour is a retired builder # and has a 4 year old Transit with 60k miles. He is VERY peed off that the DPF failed at 50k and cost £750 to replace..

Last Transit rusted badly and was unreliable.

# He also has a 1950s Daimler in wonderful running order (a Docker type IIRC)
Last edited by: madf on Thu 12 Jan 17 at 14:25
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - legacylad
My last Transporter was P reg and purchased as an ex demo from Hayseldens in Doncaster. Even after no longer being in trade I ran it privately for a few more years. I was in demand to help friends move bulky items on a weekly basis, and even helped several friends move house. From Ripon, Newcastle & Glasgow to other ends of the country are 3 trips I remember. And I helped a friend in the demolition business on and off for a few years moving reclaimed materials around the country. Think I had a special policy with NFU Mutual.
It had minimal rust on one wheel arch when I sold it, but it was well looked after. Hoovered out and pressure washed each week, sold within hours of being advertised to a bloke who drove down from Scotland on his motorbike.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - The Melting Snowman
Plenty of new shape Transits around here (West Wilts), possibly due to several dealers in the area. I think they look good, Ford seem to be trying to compete with the Transporter in terms of desirability. Time will tell whether the new Transit is better protected against rust. I saw an 07 plate previous model in the street yesterday already bubbling on the wheel arches. You wouldn't see that on a Transporter or Master.

Many trades prefer the image of the Transporter but from conversations I've had they are no more reliable than Transits. A Transit will always be a tool of the trade whereas the Transporter offers a bit more on top. Secondhand prices can be silly though, the camping / surfing mob have driven up the prices.

I wouldn't have a Master for personal reasons but if you like them and the dealer is good then it might be a wise choice. They are certainly a very big van.
 Renault Master - Would you buy... - PeterS
Roughly this time last year I bought a pre-reg Renault Kangoo to be used as a pool/knock about vehicle. It was a December 15 '65 plate, clearly registered for a year end target. List price was around £13k plus VAT. It cost £5,995 plus VAT (recoverable in any case) so cheap as chips! It's been faultless in its first year. Base spec, but still has Bluetooth and rear parking sensors plus streering wheel controls for the stereo. Cloth seats but rubber mats!
Latest Forum Posts