Motoring Discussion > Van interiors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 20

Van interiors - MD
You can buy box profile sheet metal roofing to stop condensation forming on the underside.

My van is a condensation nightmare at this time of year. Is it possible/does anyone know if a similar system could be applied to a van interior?
 Van interiors - MJM
Can you stick some thin insulation sheet to it? B and Q sell some about 10mm thick as an underlay for laminate flooring. It comes in a sort of folding sheet with an aluminium foil on one side.
 Van interiors - MD
Hi MJM. I've seen folk do that with dayvan conversions, but it's a bit of a Bugg** (bind) doing around the pillars etc., but a good point. Thank you.
 Van interiors - Harleyman
Agreed it's a damn nuisance. Didn't have so much of a problem with the VW minibus as it had a headlining throughout but the back of the Iveco is like a wet room!
 Van interiors - Dog
This is the God's truth ... My friend Laurie the leather craftsman, who lived in an isolated moorland cottage up on Bodmin Moor, used to put sheets of 50mm polystyrene up to all his old metal Crittall windows during 'the black season' as he called it. He used to say it was his version of double glazing.

It was quite an experience to visit him in his cottage, with no natural light coming into the room, and just a bare 60w bulb hanging from the ceiling, but the old inglenook would be ablaze with wood that he (and I) had scavenged from the moor, which included much dead gorse wood to gum up his chimney (and it did!)

So there you have it MD - thin sheets of polystyrene stuck to the roof and side panels of your van :)
 Van interiors - CGNorwich
If you get a lot of condensation you need to look for the source of the water.

You will only get condensation within the van if the air is moist.

Is there a leak anywhere? Do you leave anything damp within the van - rags for example or wet clothing. Insulation will not necessarily help. You will still get condensation on the coldest surfaces such as the windows.
Just a thought We have had a number of days recently where the weather has changed rapidly from mild and wet to dry and cold overnight. You would then get a lot of moist air trapped within the vehicle and as the van cools overnight condensation will inevitably result. Not sure you can really do much about that without some source of heat and ventilation.
 Van interiors - Harleyman
>> If you get a lot of condensation you need to look for the source of
>> the water.
>>
>> You will only get condensation within the van if the air is moist.
>>
Mine lives outside in West Wales. I don't think I have to look too far for the source of the water. ;-)
 Van interiors - MD
I guess you don't have too much to do with single skin panel vans then CG?
 Van interiors - Dog
Howl did you dog get on Martin, with his/her recent surgery?
 Van interiors - MD
All good I think/hope. It was a meniscal tear which has been trimmed I think the expression is. I am so glad it wasn't a re-do of the cruciate as that entails dressings which due to the shape of a dogs never stay on and quite an exercise regime which was purgatory when it was first done as it was in the winter. It cost a monkey though for about 30 mins under the knife! I must retrain!!!!
 Van interiors - Dog
>>I must retrain!!!!

If only we had known huh! .. I'd have chosen the highly-lucrative career of dentistry!

My 18 month-old Beauceron charges around like an absolute maniac, how he hasn't injured himself yet gawd only knows. He must be made of granite because he charges into absolutely anything (including us!) when chasing the ball. He has smashed by head open AND broken my nose so far - my fault really, as both times I was bending down to pick up his ball while he jumped upwards, his hard head meeting my nose/head :o)

Her indoors had a basinful last week with the Engerlish Pointer, she had him on the lead while we were walking around the Eden Pro when, all of a sudden he made a break for freedom, she went wallop! .. I actually saw her go and noticed she (strangely) didn't put her harms out to 'break' her fall, which is just as well really, because she actually suffered only superficial injuries to her arm and shoulder.

Dogs ... who'd have 'em :)
 Van interiors - Bobby
What about customising your van and call it a Ghia??

That way you can then apply a thick coating of black vinyl to the outside of your roof and this should surely help insulate it a bit??
 Van interiors - MD
That's actually quite funny Bobby. I know there was a Karmman Ghia, but I don't remember the van version!
Not a lot MD
but the causes of condensation in a van are exactly the same as in a car, caravan house or garage. It's a question of physics.
Moisture saturated air being cooled to its dewpoint.
 Van interiors - sooty123
Have you tried those bags that take moisture out of the air? Leave a couple in the door pockets some people swear by them.
 Van interiors - legacylad
Where I used to work we sold lots of those moisture controlling crystals to caravan owners. When I was overseas forcseveral weeks last winter I bought a bulk bag ( Kontrol Krystals?) and decanted them into margarine tubs which I left in the footwell & boot. A small cat litter tray would also do the job.
Upon my return the polymer crystals had all turned into a very runny gel, so I assume they had absorbed moisture within the car.
I don't know how effective they would be over one night...
 Van interiors - Ted
Cheapest washing powder will do the same thing and leave a pleasant smell as well. I leave 3 trays in the caravan over Winter and it does get sticky and crusty.
 Van interiors - Runfer D'Hills
That'll be the cats.

;-)
 Van interiors - No FM2R
Can you not use that insulating wallpaper? Wallrock, isn't it?
 Van interiors - Crankcase
Now then.
Latest Forum Posts