Motoring Discussion > Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - smokie
Supercharging at Tesla facilities was previously free but now they are charging across the US, after a free annual allowance.

What caught my eye was more the "idle fee" of $0.40 for leaving your fully charged car in a charging bay. ISTR someone here (Crankcase?) mentioned this is an intermittent problem here in the UK for EV cars.

I see they also plan to allow the car to self-drive away from the charger at some point in the future. Exciting times!! :-)

www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

www.tesla.com/support/supercharging
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 08:44
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - mikeyb
30p per minute in the UK - my nearest supercharger is in the car park of an out of town shopping center where parking is free so £9 for every thirty minutes should cause people to move on
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - R.P.
Been umming and ahing about an electric car - I'd be inclined to go hybrid rather than the full electric thing.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - Crankcase
Anti-queuing measures are inevitable as the number of cars increases and the infrastructure doesn't keep pace.

There's always something new coming up in this sector. Part of the "fun". For example, at the moment, non-Tesla cars have (approximately) a maximum charging rate of 50kW.

There is already talk of 300kW being available in the next two or three years, so instead of spending perhaps half an hour ish at the charger as now, you'll have a bigger battery, twice the current range or more, and still have a charge time of perhaps ten or fifteen minutes.

As to hybrids, some of the "plugin" versions have charge rates at the moment that are so slow as to be almost useless. Lots of research before purchase is still necessary.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - sherlock47
300kW charge rate - ?

What voltage do these charge at? The cables will look like super tanker hawsers at safe working voltages!
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - Crankcase
>> What voltage do these charge at? The cables will look like super tanker hawsers at
>> safe working voltages!

Dunno. High.

The Swiss have already got the 150kW thing happening. All very early days but it's here.

electrek.co/2016/08/10/150-kw-fast-charging-station-switzerland/

And Fastned (Dutch) were the ones initially going on about 300kW - in fact this article is over a year old now

chargedevs.com/newswire/fastned-prepares-for-300-kw-charging/

And the first manufacturers (Audi and Porsche) have said there will be cars capable of accepting this rate of charge from them from 2018 onwards. Others will no doubt follow.

Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - sherlock47
This will answer some of my own questions - taken from a posting towards the end of the first link.

"CHAdeMO specification is: (The latest proposal)

500 volts max * 125 amps max = 62.5kW (commonly referred to as "50kW")

500 volts max * 200 amps design = 100kW

500 volts * 350 amps in 2017 = "150kW" (really 175kW)

1000 volts proposed * 350 amps = 350kW

These currents will only be acceptable at purpose built charge stations. Just imagine the peak loading with even some diversity at a block of flats:) where all the owners have gone electric.

I just wonder what the power supply utilities are going to do when we enter an all electric world.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - Shiny
Buying a Tesla is saying, " I want a future where I go to open my car door and it won't open and the car says, "I am sorry Bob, I can't let you do that." because someone higher up in the grid says so.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - Roger.
Buying a Tesla is saying "Look at me. I'm full of virtue, even though I'm rich!"
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - sooty123
Or maybe they just liked it, entirely possible you know. ;)
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - No FM2R
>>Buying a Tesla is saying "Look at me. I'm full of virtue, even though I'm rich!"

I know, because the first thing some rich guy is going to worry about is what someone like you thinks of their car purchase.

You may need to lower your assessment of your own relevance to pretty much anything.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - rtj70
My brother has a Tesla. Part of his logic in selection will be free electric charging for life. He's rich but that will have been a factor. The price difference to say a 2.0l turbo petrol plus the fuel will have been discounted.

He went from San Francisco area to LA Disney last summer and back in it. So he'll have had to recharge on the way for sure and then again when there. But he'll have seen it as 'free'.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - MD
If I was rich, but I ain't it would be a V8 or twelve or something similar. Not diesel you understand cos Gentlemen don't drive diesels do they Perro?

Hijacking the thread cos I'm in the mood: A lottery win of sufficient suffiency would bring on an attack of the purchase dept. I'll start and I'll hope they all do too.

Citroen DS.
TR6
Norton Commando 850 interstate
Suzuki kettle
Triumph Tiger Cub (not the square barrelled jobby)
Ossa Mar
My original RD350B in purple
FS1E (yellow) or whatever the correct name of the colour was.
XT500
Z1 (not the Z900)
Dodge Charger
Mk1 XJ6 the short wheelbase version 1972 vintage

I will have forgotten a lot more, but it's a start. Over to you.

Mods, start a fresh doofer if you're so inclined.. Thank you..

I did, it's here tinyurl.com/zklazlr - please ensure new discussion goes there and not here! smokie
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 14 Jan 17 at 00:36
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - The Melting Snowman
Tesla need some proper engines, a petrol V6 or preferably a straight six would do it. And a diesel for those that like to drive around making a lot of noise.
 Tesla - introduce charges for supercharging - madf

>>
>> I just wonder what the power supply utilities are going to do when we enter
>> an all electric world.
>>

Control your usage via a Smart Meter.
(That is their real purpose)
Latest Forum Posts