Motoring Discussion > Diesel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 14

Diesel - wotspur
Whilst clearing out my garage over Xmas I found 2 black canisters of diesel, now the chances are they've been there for 4/5 years
Would it be ok to put it into the car now, and if i do, would it be better to put into a half full tank, or would it make no difference
if not how do I safely dispose of it ?
 Diesel - Duncan
>> Whilst clearing out my garage over Xmas

Those family get togethers do seem to go on forever, don't they?

>> I found 2 black canisters of diesel, now
>> the chances are they've been there for 4/5 years
>> Would it be ok to put it into the car now,

I think it would be fine to put it into your half full fuel tank. If you are a bit nervous, put one can in, see how that goes, if ok, put the other one in.

Disposal? Down the council tip. They have a thingy that you can put waste oil in.

Where are you? I'll stick it in my diesel, no probs.
 Diesel - The Melting Snowman
>>Disposal? Down the council tip. They have a thingy that you can put waste oil in.

Waste oil yes, flammables no. At least not at our local tip. I've tried that before.

If the diesel containers have remained sealed then I would certainly use it but maybe not all in one go, use some over a few tanks. I haven't driven a diesel for some years but I think the oil companies used to put anti-waxing chemicals in for winter, whether these degrade with time I don't know but I might be tempted to wait until the milder weather just in case.
 Diesel - VxFan
>> Would it be ok to put it into the car now

Give it a good shake first. The cans, not the car.
 Diesel - Manatee
Save one for lighting garden bonfires. Much quicker than messing about with paper and kindling, and a lot safer than petrol.
 Diesel - VxFan
But is it really quicker? Diesel isn't that easy to ignite with a flame.
 Diesel - devonite
If you plan to put it in your tank, try to ensure it hasn't been infected through prolonged storage!

www.oillab.co.nz/diesel_bug_explained
 Diesel - Bill Payer
What quantity of diesel are we talking about?
 Diesel - wotspur
There are 2 x5lt canisters both with 3/4 lts in each .
I was thinking fill the car up, use about half, and since above notices, shake the cans, prior to pouring in one, then a few weeks later use the other one.
Many thanks.
Also, this afternooon, fillling up an almost empty tank, the garage pump kept clicking off, and it took forever to fill up, when I mentioned this to the garage bloke, he asked was my tank basically empty, to which I confirmed, and he said that was the problem. The vacuum in the tank was creating a back draft, causing the problems........is this really true , or was the garages tanks runnning dry, and I was getting the dregs before it ran out.........I ask this cause a lorrry turned up for delivery .......cheers
 Diesel - Bill Payer
>> The vacuum in the tank was creating a back draft, causing the
>> problems........is this really true ,

I'm going to say no. Any vacuum there might be is immediately released when the fuel cap is removed.
 Diesel - Manatee
>> But is it really quicker? Diesel isn't that easy to ignite with a flame.

I just splosh some on the material then light a bit of paper. It always catches.

The whole point is that the vapour doesn't catch easily. Petrol, on the other hand, does. The vapour spreads invisibly, you light the match, if it turns out you are now in the vapour cloud, goodbye eyebrows (if you are lucky).
 Diesel - Pat
I just my weed flame gun:)

Pat
 Diesel - Cliff Pope
As the cans aren't full check very carefully for diesel bug before contaminating your own fuel.

Diesel burns just as easily as paraffin. Unlike petrol, you can throw it on a fire safely without blowing up the can .
 Diesel - Zero
Some people, I dont know

On the one hand you are asking about a Diesel that wont start, and on the other hand you are planning on using some unspecified and possibly very dodgy fuel.

Be sensible. Do I have to spell it out?
 Diesel - rtj70
There is no way I would risk this old diesel in a car in order to not waste some previously paid for fuel. It is not worth the risk.

My Audi petrol took an age to fill up last Friday at the local Tesco filing station. The first time I have gone since they installed new pumps the week before. It took 3 to 4 times longer to fill. I let them know in case there was a problem with the pump I used.
Latest Forum Posts