Motoring Discussion > Accident, Legal Obligations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Accident, Legal Obligations - Bromptonaut
The Lad is working in Liverpool as a delivery driver for a pizza chain.

Rang us about 20 mins ago to say he's had an accident with a child cyclist. Seems kid (junior school age) bounced off kerb or otherwise just appeared in front of him and was knocked off bike. Kid was picked up by family/neighbours with no disability other than bruised type limp and disappeared; no details exchanged. The Lad was in pizza co uniform so potentially identifiable.

He's reported to company and made statement to employer. He needs to report it to Police too.

Any other advice that should be offered?
 Accident, Legal Obligations - R.P.
The police one is critical.
 Accident, Legal Obligations - PeterS
Other than him writing down exactly what he remembers as soon as possible not much to add. It's amazing how quickly simple facts get mixed up as time passes. Was he driving on his or his employers insurance at the time? I'd be informing my insurers, using my written notes, ASAP if it was me and my insurers potentially on the hook.
 Accident, Legal Obligations - Fullchat
Food delivery drivers using their own vehicles to deliver. Often not covered by 'business use'. Many a customer left hungry as their delivery car is seized for no insurance. Just saying.

If he was and he is suitably covered then must report unless he's provided his details, registered keeper details and insurance details.

If not his vehicle above still applies.

If not must report to Police (in person) as soon as practicable and in any case within 24hrs.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 26 Jan 17 at 23:48
Thanks All,

He's insured, company cover him third party for work. Already reported to insurer via store. He knows he needs to go to the Police and I'm already on case about getting his own account in writing ASAP.
 Accident, Legal Obligations - zippy
We have an epidemic of youths (late teens and obove) on BMXs who ride around at night dressed in black with no lights and they switch direction and zip across roads with no indication, often in packs.

It is only a matter of time before one comes a cropper and it will be the poor motorist that gets the blame!
Just to (hopefully) conclude this.

He reported it to Police who reassured him he'd done right thing. Unless either they trace yoof or he comes forward it's NFA. He's now on holiday in Italy so they'll have to wait if anyone, perhaps sniffing compo, does emerge.

The other issue is that Pizza company neither issue delivery drivers with proof of insurance nor brief them on what to to in event of accident. Given their incompetence in placing him on correct shifts and in dealing with Statutory Sick Pay when has an abscess treated in hospital I'm not surprised.

Told him to make sure he has proof of cover issued as soon as he's back at work.

Latest Forum Posts