Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield.
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 24

Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Roger.
An annoying rattle, at 1000 to 1300rpm, from the underneath of the car prompted a visit to the place where I had a replacement exhaust fitted a year ago. (Non-franchise, small group, tyre & exhaust, MOT and service outfit: DEXEL, recommended).
They popped it on the lift and a few minutes later told me the rattle was the heat shield tapping on the body. The receptionist said it was rotted away and that he'd removed it completely.
No charge.
Apparently this is not an uncommon problem, but I wonder if I really, really need to replace it?

Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - CGNorwich
If your car doesn't catch fire in a month or two I would say no.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - sooty123
I wonder why they didn't just cut off the iffy portion?

I would say fit another one, if they weren't needed they wouldn't be on there. If honda want silly money, just look on ebay or a parts finder website.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - legacylad
Mine fell off two months ago. Whilst having two garage doors converted into one my car was outside, unused for a week. The rear brakes seized, and whilst rocking the car it came loose. The four securing points on the shield had rotted where different metals came into contact. My AA pal advised me not to bother replacing it... it was at the very rear of the Focus and I've checked the boot area after a long fast run and there appears to be zero heat sinkage from the exhaust into the boot.
It's doesn't affect the MOT but I might fit a replacement when the MOT & service are carried out in March.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Falkirk Bairn
I would not worry over heat shield - my Civic rattled - it was taken off & there were no ill-effects as far as I know - I had the car a further 2 years with no issue.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - martint123
I've had them rot off and left them off - never a problem.
My thinking - car is spec'd for world wide use. A lot of difference driving in the cold, wet UK and driving flat out in somewhere like south australia or arizona.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Cliff Pope
What's it for - to keep the bodywork cool in a hot climate, or the exhaust hot in a cold climate?
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - madf
Heatshields exist for them to fall off outside our gate. I cut them up to make frame runners for hives...(the aluminium is thin, easily formed to shape and cut)..
I am mean..

Edit our 13 year old Yaris has its original heatshields..I sprayed heatproof paint on the bolts holding them on - about 8 years ago..
Last edited by: madf on Sat 28 Jan 17 at 15:29
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - ChrisM
Don't think they are there for when you go flat out somewhere hot, they are more likely there for when you are sitting stationery on the motorway in 30 degrees plus with the air con keeping you cool but no flow of air around the car's hot bits.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - bathtub tom
>>Don't think they are there for when you go flat out

A hot exhaust can radiate a lot of heat. Look at the exhaust of a rally car on a stage, it's often glowing red at the tailpipe and that's got an awful lot of air (and probably water, snow, ice) moving past it.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Cliff Pope
>> Don't think they are there for when you go flat out somewhere hot, they are
>> more likely there for when you are sitting stationery on the motorway in 30 degrees
>> plus with the air con keeping you cool but no flow of air around the
>> car's hot bits.
>>
>>

I asked because some of the Volvos I've owned have had manifold/exhaust heat shields. They are there to speed warm-up in arctic conditions and duct hot air to a thermostatically-controlled engine air intake. They are generally regarded as unnecessary in a British climate.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Dog
>>They are generally regarded as unnecessary in a British climate<<

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4171118/Killer-cold-minus-10C-forecast-freezing-February.html

:}
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - madf
>> >>They are generally regarded as unnecessary in a British climate<<
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4171118/Killer-cold-minus-10C-forecast-freezing-February.html
>>
>> :}
>>

Quoting the Daily Mail gives you zero marks for veracity...
Forecast is -1C for here... a mild winter.. = so mild we have seen no snow lying for more than 24 hours.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Old Navy
The coldest I have seen in the UK is -25°C with the Scottish sea lochs starting to freeze, I have skied when it has been -15°C in Aviemore and a lot colder on the top of Cairrngorm, a beautiful chrystal clear blue skies day with no wind. I admit that is a bit cooler than normal but not a problem. I don't think we have to panic about this winter (yet).
"I don't think we have to panic about this winter (yet)."

Well no but I do think we should be prepared and at least have a decent winter tyres thread running. ;-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 31 Jan 17 at 11:09
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Old Navy
Winter tyres are for people who can't drive in poor road conditions :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 31 Jan 17 at 11:16
I did look on the Torygraph site for the, um, warning, honest guv.
I'm going to Espana this Sunday for 28 days. It's not much better there.... the bar below my friends apartment in Finestrat was flooded out recently, and we are staying just up the coast.
Can't say I'm that bothered at the moment.....
Two degrees warmer than Cornwall but, at least it's dry: www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/spain/spain.html
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - Manatee
Scorchio. 6 C here.
The unusually cold weather in Southern Spain is having and effect on food imports. A lot of salad stuff is in short supply with prices increasing. No lettuces of any kind in local Sainsuburys today.
Caused no doubt by the position of the jet stream: carnkieweather.co.uk/?page=chart-jetstream
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - neiltoo
I have just now left the sunbed on my patio in Benalmadena. It's just six oclock here and the sun has gone off it. Air still balmy. I shall sleep with the patio door open. We just had four nights in Malaga centre, with clear blue skies most of the day.
Accuweather says it may rain Thursday.
Unfortunately have to return Sunday.......
Does Benalnatura still exist? I used to go there a lot in a previous life when staying at a friends apartment. There used to be a Scandinavian lass cooking grilled fish in a shack.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Exhaust heat shield. - neiltoo
Yup! Still there. Passed it on the way to Fuengurola today. There's another at Mijas Costa if that's nearer for you!
Latest Forum Posts