Motoring Discussion > Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38775559

Time for SATNAV manufacturers to incorporate a lorry function as standard perhaps?
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - sooty123
I'm surprised that there's not one already.
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - CGNorwich
Well of course there are satnavs with mapping designed for truckers.

The problem I guess is that they are a bit more expensive.

www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/truck-sat-nav/#productLineup
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - smokie
Aren't many fleets using equipment at HQ to plan the sequence and routes of deliveries? Surely they are. Then surely they ought to be able to download it to an onboard device, removing the guesswork risk from the driver.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 28 Jan 17 at 13:52
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - Pat
They do use software to plan the routes but it's mainly done by postcode.

It doesn't recognise weight limits, low bridges or width limits so if you stick to that route you really are in trouble.

Satnavs for lorries are available but are twice the price so an ordinary sat nav and a low bridge map is the way most of us go.

Any equipment is only as good as the user and once you start to rely on anything other than common sense you're on a loser.

Pat
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - legacylad
Given the link above, a TomTom Trucker 6000 Lifetime Edition is £420. Surely for a professional driver, an invaluable tool like that is the least they should have. If self employed it's tax deductible, companies can reclaim the VAT?
It seems a small amount to pay to ensure a hassle free driving route for people who do it for a living, and I'm sure a 'professional body' could negotiate a bulk buy discount for its members.
I'm not saying you should rely on it completely, ( sometimes I don't believe my speedo) but it seems like an invaluable tool from a non professional drivers point of view.
 Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - Bromptonaut
This thread rang a bell.

A year or so ago we were discussing accident where a lorry knocked a bridge parapet onto the West of England main line:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=21606&v=f

Driver had taken a wrong turn an tried to regain his original route via a lane that turned out to be impassable for his truck. Damage done while reversing out.

Investigation looked into satnav. Not being used at time. RAIB tested whether a lorry specific satnav would have advised driver route was impassable.

Conclusion was that it would not.

Call to Ban Lorries Using Car Sat Nav - Harleyman
Bought my lorry-enabled sat-nav off e-bay two years ago, cost me about £80. It is by no means perfect, no sat-nav is, but it's a big help.

No electronic system, however, is or should be a subsittute for eyes, ears and simple common sense.

They are for guidance not to be relied upon as definitive.

I would be interested to compare figures for bridge strikes and lorries being stuck to those from some years ago before sat-navs were in use. My suspicion is there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

I would also suggest that councils could do a lot more to improve signage for HGV diversions for bridges, weight limits etc. I accept that such diversions are usually there for a good and valid reason, but if a driver is not forewarned then it can lead to them taking a chance rather than diverting. It's no damn good having a weight restriction if you don't offer a viable alternative route.
Latest Forum Posts