Motoring Discussion > Worth a watch. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Worth a watch. - R.P.
For Harleyman.

www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=534398510

Has got subtitles -Mansell Davies and his fleet of trucks.
 Worth a watch. - henry k
Wot subtitles ?
 Worth a watch. - R.P.
You have to enable them by pressing the large button marked "S"
 Worth a watch. - Manatee
No big S for me either.

Edit, it works in Firefox, not in Chrome. There's a speech bubble button in the bar that is there in Chrome but the subtitle option doesn't work.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 29 Jan 17 at 15:33
 Worth a watch. - R.P.
Sorry guys. right lower end of the screen there's a speech bubble click on that and select "Isdeitlau Saesneg" They've changed the format.
 Worth a watch. - zippy
Hover your mouse at the bottom of the video screen.

To the left of the volume slider there should be an options box like a square speech bubble.

Select "Isdeitlau Saesneg" which is Welsh for "English Subtitles"
 Worth a watch. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04p51gg/loriau-mansel-davies-ai-fab-pennod-2

Easier maybe,
 Worth a watch. - henry k
>>Select "Isdeitlau Saesneg" which is Welsh for "English Subtitles"

LOL
 Worth a watch. - Harleyman
I know them well. Proper traditional haulage business; very well run but notoriously poor wages.

Having said that, their kit's good, though well used and often old; they're still running FL series Volvo 8-wheelers which are over 20 years old, but being also a main dealer they can afford to of course. They've never been known to lay anyone off and many of their drivers have worked there for decades. There are very few Eastern European drivers on the staff unlike many other fleets. Kim's a good old boy and always has a chat with me if I happen to go there; very down to earth bloke with no side at all.

I cover those very same country lanes delivering the feed into the farms.

I was amused to see the hi-viz vests; trust me very few actually wear them on farms when there's no TV crews about! somebody needs a slap in the garage though, that tipper should have had a prop under the body whilst they were working under it.

As an aside; you'll notice that the conversation tends to be a patios of Welsh sprinkled with English phrases. That's very common in South and West Wales.
 Worth a watch. - rtj70
>> As an aside; you'll notice that the conversation tends to be a patios of Welsh sprinkled with
>> English phrases

Some sentences were around 50% English in the small bit I've watched.
 Worth a watch. - Harleyman
>> >> As an aside; you'll notice that the conversation tends to be a patios of
>> Welsh sprinkled with
>> >> English phrases
>>
>> Some sentences were around 50% English in the small bit I've watched.
>>

Not uncommon. This is over-simplifying things I admit, but effectively there is a tendency to use English phrases where there's no easy Welsh translation; a practice which tends to be sniffed at north of Aberystwyth where they consider themselves to speak a "purer" form of Welsh.

It can give rise to some amusing moments as an outside observer; my next door neighbour once sold some JCB spares to a chap from North Wales (a "Gog" as they're called down here from the Welsh word "Gogledd" meaning north) and complained bitterly to me that he "had to speak to him in English cause I couldn't understand the b****r"!

Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 29 Jan 17 at 20:48
 Worth a watch. - rtj70
We never did this when I was at a Welsh speaking school. But most people in South Wales don't speak Welsh in public.

But West Wales and North Wales is different. But then they use some different words to the south.
For example

Milk in north Wales is llefrith but in south Wales llaeth.
Now in north Wales is rwan but in south Wales nawr (so the reverse).
With in north Wales is efo but in south Wales is gyda.
Fox in north Wales is llwynog but in south Wales is cadno.
'To be able to' in north Wales is medru but in South Wales is gallu

.... There's loads of differences before they start using English. But north vs south Wales dialect can be very different in the words let alone pronunciation.

We head teachers from north, south and west Wales so we tended to use a mixture I guess.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 29 Jan 17 at 22:03
 Worth a watch. - Cliff Pope
Mansel Davies lorries and their drivers are always smartly turned out - sort of Eddie Stobart of the west.
But the lorries, and tankers especially, are notoriously slow.
 Worth a watch. - Manatee
>> Mansel Davies lorries and their drivers are always smartly turned out - sort of Eddie
>> Stobart of the west.
>> But the lorries, and tankers especially, are notoriously slow.

Any theories as to why? e.g. speed limits imposed for safety, or schedules with intentionally high slack? Could be a sign of an enlightened employer I suppose, that does not require its drivers to rush about dangerously.
 Worth a watch. - henry k
I have given up. Chrome IE Firefox all failed
 Worth a watch. - R.P.
It's on iPlayer.
Latest Forum Posts