Motoring Discussion > Police blow up 'suspicious' car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 21

Police blow up 'suspicious' car - VxFan
A police force carried out a controlled explosion on a "suspicious" car outside a station, not realising its own officers had parked it there.

The car owner's sister told ITV Border that he fell outside the Carnegie Theatre in last Friday after suffering a heart attack and an officer drove his car to a police station.

Cumbria Police said other officers on duty were not aware colleagues had parked the car outside the station after helping its owner, who had been taken ill.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-38838653
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Old Navy
I remember from the days of IRA activity a car being "planted" in a very prominent spot in a navy base and having its doors and boot blown open by the Explosive Ordinance Displosal team. A good reminder when the parking restrictions were not being taken too seriously.
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Manatee
I wonder if they attempted to contact the owner or check with their own staff, which would have taken far less time than organising a controlled explosion.

To be fair, they had probably been waiting years for the chance to do that.
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Haywain
So, do we think the officers had a whip-round to pay for it?
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - R.P.
There will be a payout. How hard was it to put a marker on PNC. Saw this done once just prior to a Royal Visit. Car parked on yellow lines (boom !)...that'll learn yer.
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - The Melting Snowman
>>So, do we think the officers had a whip-round to pay for it?

No, I suspect the tax payer will ultimately pay.

>>internal communications error

A cock-up then.

At least we've been spared the usual (so far) irksome 'lessons will be learned' claptrap.

>> At least we've been spared the usual (so far) irksome 'lessons will be learned' claptrap.

No we haven't!

"Police are carrying out a review of the incident to see what went wrong and what lessons can be learned."

goo.gl/JTrIyc
>> I wonder if they attempted to contact the owner

Did you not read my post, or the news article?

They knew who the owner was. One of their own officers drove it to the police station after the owner suffered a heart attack.

They said it was down to an 'internal communications error'

Apparently they offered to pay him the value of the car, thought to be worth £400-£500, according to the Daily Wail. tinyurl.com/jh9a7dc

I suspect he then suffered another heart attack at the shock ;)
or couldn't believe his luck.

They knew who the owner was. One of their own officers drove it to the police station after the owner suffered a heart attack.

Individuals may well have known, but there appeared to be no corporate knowledge. PNC marker would have ensured that.
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Fullchat
Indeed RP. Shifts come and go with no knowledge of whats gone on before. To give continuity a simple quick job of putting a PNC marker would ensure that the next person who had cause to check would be aware of history - simples.
>> >> I wonder if they attempted to contact the owner
>>
>> Did you not read my post, or the news article?
>>
>> They knew who the owner was. One of their own officers drove it to the
>> police station after the owner suffered a heart attack.

I meant the ones who organised the blowing up, not the ones who left it there. Do you imply that they are the same ones?
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - No FM2R
>>Do you imply that...

"infer" Manatee, surely?
No I meant imply. Otherwise why would he say they already knew whose car it was?

Actually your suggestion works, sorry. He would have had to infer it before he had any reason to imply it. So both!
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 16:34
Just because I'm bored...

Would it not then more correctly be one of "did you imply..." or "are you implying..."
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 16:38
One of the "good" things about this forum software, is at least it doesn't display an edit history so nobody ever gets to see just how dumb the error I corrected actually was!

Thank you.
>> at least it doesn't display an edit history so nobody ever gets to see just how dumb the error I corrected actually was!

I wonder if the RSS news feed picked it up though ;)

>> Would it not then more correctly be one of "did you imply..." or "are you
>> implying..."

Yes, you're right:)
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - bathtub tom
>> >>Do you imply that...
>> "infer" Manatee, surely?

I'm sure I was taught 'You imply, I infer.'
>> I meant the ones who organised the blowing up, not the ones who left it there.

Ah, another 'internal communications error' then.
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Ian (Cape Town)
From "Fetch Felix"...

"I'll use flatsword"
"Why?"
"Because I've never used flatsword before..."
 Police blow up 'suspicious' car - Cliff Pope
I don't see how knowing who the owner was is relevant. Unless they automatically blow up any car parked outside a police station regardless, then they must have had reason to think this one was suspicious. Even the police commissioner's car could have a bomb unknowingly attached to it. But they don't blow it up just in case.
(But perhaps it's worth more than £400 :) )
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 18:18
Latest Forum Posts