Motoring Discussion > Top 5 ridiculous car options Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 26

Top 5 ridiculous car options - Dog
An 'openometer', you've gotta larf, I mean, really :-D

uk.cars.yahoo.com/11082010/36/inconvenience-car-gadgets-wi-0.html
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - BobbyG
Well I would give a thumsb-up to the card key and engine start.
OK the card key would be better smaller but the convenience of not needing to go hunting for keys is excellent.
Stop / Start button, ok a bit of a gimmick but when I had my Scenic, my son got to "start" and "stop" the engine and he loved it , so that was good enough for me!
Yeah, I'm a big kyd and I would like a push button start thingy too.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Zero
The renault card key is badly designed, too big and thick

It should be a smallish fob, about he side of a normal key top, on a well made strong ring to put your house keys on.

The car should be keyless entry, no need for a slot and with a push start/stop system.

this is 2010. Not 1910 as many of our dino... I mean contributors, on here would wish it.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - smokie
Push button start is fine on the Mondeo as it also has keyless entry and locking. In fact it's a pain to have to find my front door keys when I get home...
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - DP
>> The renault card key is badly designed, too big and thick

I carried mine in my wallet for a year without any problems. Ours was the full keyless system which didn't need the in-dash slot to be used for anything apart from releasing the parking brake with the engine off, and popping the tailgate with the engine running.

It was my first experience of keyless operation / push button start, and I thought it was a superb setup.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 12:41
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - bathtub tom
>>Yeah, I'm a big kyd and I would like a push button start thingy too.

Here you are woofy. I'd guess this has got one: ;>)

tinyurl.com/2dw4vw8
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 11:22
>>Here you are woofy. I'd guess this has got one: ;>)<<

Five and a half grand, who's gonna pay that sort of wonga for a mini van, its had nearly 1000 views though!
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Ted

Well , I've had push button for 38 yrs on my car and that was 20 yrs old when I bought it !

Useless ? the rev- counters on my two automatwatics.

Ted
>>Useless ? the rev- counters on my two automatwatics.<<

I'd rather ave a rev counter than a speedo ‹(•¿•)›
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Perky Penguin
It isn't an option but I have a car with a rev counter with no red line! Chocolate fireguard comes to mind.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Zero
>> It isn't an option but I have a car with a rev counter with no
>> red line! Chocolate fireguard comes to mind.

Why? you cant go past the rev limit anyway, the ecu wont let you.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Lygonos
>> Why? you cant go past the rev limit anyway, the ecu wont let you.

ECU doesn't stop you downshifting to 2nd at 90mph.

Usually Darwin is in charge of that.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Perky Penguin
No need for a rev counter at all then, apart from the Darwinian theory proposed by Lygonos!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 07:06
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Bill Payer
Not so much ridiculous, more ironic, but the "Comfort" seat option on some Mercedes models make me laugh.
It's only £80 on the B Class so why don't the miserable swines include it as standard - or do they think people would rather save the £80 and have uncomfortable seats? :)
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Alastairw
Isn't 'comfort' the polite way of saying 'seats for fat germans'?
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Skoda
>> Isn't 'comfort' the polite way of saying 'seats for fat germans'?

Lol! I have the comfort seats in my big car. Ronseal!
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - MD
He's mastered English quite well!
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Avant
Just to be nerdy, the '65 Mini van referred to above will have had a key-operated starter. The very frst Minis had a starter button on the floor, for no better reason than that the early Austin Mini was called the Austin Seven (it didn't catch on) and BMC were trying to do the retro thing and hark back to the 1920s Austin Seven which had the starter on the floor - long before someone invented the ignition-key operated starter.

I can see the point of the starter button if the car has keyless entry - but with some, like SWMBO's current Mini, you have to insert a key and then press a separate starter button. That went out oin ther 1950s and is now, as the Americans say, just plain stoopid.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Dulwich Estate
"The very first Minis had a starter button on the floor, for no better reason than........"

Could it be that as the battery was in the boot (behind the driver's seat in the van) and that the cable ran under the centre of the car, so putting the start switch on the cable run made economic sense ?
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Mike Hannon
The very first Minis from Longbridge were called the Austin Se7en - no wonder it didn't catch on.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Oldgit
I'd almost put my Auto Sensing wipers into this category and perhaps the Auto Headlights as well especially as I have DRLs.
The wipers do work quite well when it is raining 'properly' but there are many conditions when I'm crying out for a wipe and if it doesn't happen I either have to alter the sensitivity setting or pull the wiper stalk briefly to inititate a wipe without getting a wash.
When I had intermittent wipers with several presets I was so much more relaxed knowing I was getting a wipe after x seconds, depending what I'd chosen.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - DP
My late 90s 306 XSi had auto wipers, the first car I'd ever had which was so equipped. It must have been a first generation system, because it was woeful. It was ok in constant moderate rain, and hopeless everywhere else. In spray or drizzle it would leave the wipers off until you couldn't see anything, then they would flap like crazy on their high speed setting for a few wipes before switching off again, and repeating the whole sorry episode.
Fast forward a decade and we had them again on a Grand Scenic. This system worked flawlessly.
The implementation and calibration/setup of a gadget is critical to its usefulness. I hated auto wipers in one car, but loved them in another.
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - Iffy
Thumbs up from me for the auto wipers on the CC3.

Apart from the occasional false sweep in summer caused when a fly scores a direct hit on the sensor.

Top 5 ridiculous car options - Hard Cheese

Auto wipers have never done if for me, likewise also auto lights.

Voice control, the FocuST has it, pointless IMO though it comes as part of the Bluetooth setup and that is superb.

Keyless on the FocuST is great, the fob can simply be in your pocket, case, ruck sack etc and if you shut the boot with the fob inside it simply unlocks the boot automatically - unless it detects that the other (spare) fob is within range of the car, clever.

Top 5 ridiculous car options - Boxsterboy
Years ago friends had an early Shogun, one of the ones with an 'inclinometer' to tell you how much the car body was leaning. Pointless or what?
 Top 5 ridiculous car options - smokie
Suppose that has a use for off roading when it must tip at a certain angle...?
Latest Forum Posts