Motoring Discussion > Be careful out there. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Be careful out there. - Old Navy
Our motorway gantry signs are showing "New mobile phone penalties from March 1st".
 Be careful out there. - VxFan
Phone a friend for further details ;)
 Be careful out there. - zippy
My mobiles stays in the boot with hands free built in to the car.

Its not perfect but I have been accused of using a mobile whilst driving when I wasn't and showed it was in the boot, luckily with a witness as I was stopped just before a burger van with customers. The police men didn't like me asking the truck driver to come over and was quite rude, even suggesting that I had a phone hidden in the car and had a good look for it, then checked all 4 tyres, looked for the spare (there wasn't one), checked the lights etc.

I really don't trust the cops, I may have mentioned this elsewhere.
 Be careful out there. - BrianByPass
I've tried unsuccessfully to find a link to the relevant changed Law/Statutory-Instrument or whatever via Google.

Can anyone else do better and post a link here, please?
 Be careful out there. - zippy
Found this...

www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Published yesterday and still refers to 3 points.

>> www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
>>
>> Published yesterday and still refers to 3 points.
>>

It should be on this website www.legislation.gov.uk/changes

but you need to know exactly what you want before you can find it. Kind of Catch 22 situation.

... unless someone knows different!
 Be careful out there. - Bobby
Think it's Scotland only laws?
The nearest I can find is this draft order:

www.legislation.gov.uk/cy/ukdsi/2016/9780111150849/note?view=plain
This Order amends Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 to change the number of penalty points attributable to the offence under section 41D(b) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 of contravening or failing to comply with a construction and use requirement as to the use of hand-held mobile telephones, or other hand-held interactive communication devices, while driving.

Prior to this Order coming into force, a person committing an offence under this provision would have received three penalty points. A person committing such an offence after this Order comes into force will receive six penalty points.

www.legislation.gov.uk/cy/ukdsi/2016/9780111150849/article/1?view=plain

Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (Penalty Points) (Amendment) Order 2016
Citation, commencement and application

1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (Penalty Points) (Amendment) Order 2016 and comes into force on 1st March 2017.

(2) This Order does not apply to offences committed before this Order comes into force.

And discussion in Parliament:

hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2016-12-20/debates/564DC832-78AC-47D7-99CD-A2BE22464174/RoadTrafficOffendersAct1988(PenaltyPoints)(Amendment)Order2016
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 20:40
>> Think it's Scotland only laws?
>>

Don't think so.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mobile-phone-driving-fines-law-explained-penalty-to-double-march-new-law-a7603691.html
 Be careful out there. - Pat
www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/law-using-mobile-phone-driving-12670220

Here we are.

Pat
 Be careful out there. - Dave_
There are posters up in a few motorway service areas this week, pictures of a phone in a glovebox and the details of the penalty for not doing so.
 Be careful out there. - henry k
www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Site updated today. It now says 6 points
 Be careful out there. - henry k
New drivers caught using phones to lose licence

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39118523
 Be careful out there. - rtj70
>> New drivers caught using phones to lose licence

If it's now a six point offence (about time - too many seen around here holding phones) then new drivers lose their licence when they get to 6 points.
>> New drivers caught using phones to lose licence

Trouble is, there are not that many bobbies on the beat to catch them, and the ones that are can be as blind as a bat.
The times I've been following a cop car, and someone has passed going the opposite direction with a phone to their ear. Either plod in front of me never saw it, or couldn't be bothered.
 Be careful out there. - movilogo
Some cars can now display text messages received in infotainment display (not sure if composing is allowed too via same screen). This means being handsfree doesn't really end the problem.
Our gantry signs have changed to "New mobile phone penalties in force". I have not seen anyone in a car using a phone or a 17 plate car today, I doubt it either will last long. :-)
>> I have not seen anyone in a car using a phone today,

Police in Abingdon, Oxfordshire had few today, including 2 new drivers who will have to retake their driving test. They also nabbed a female journalist driving there to cover the phone/driving crackdown.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/journalist-reportedly-fined-200-using-phone-wheel-travelling/

tinyurl.com/hd84hvt - Oxford Mail.
This morning I have seen the same unmarked police BMW in two different locations around here with the police in discussions with stopped drivers. Unusual!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 2 Mar 17 at 10:41
Latest Forum Posts