Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 10

Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - Harleyman
A friend of mine in Swansea has a Peugeot 306TD which looks to be coming to the end of its life; bit smokey on start-up, growing list of minor electrical niggles, and the last MOT advised on corrosion around the shock absorber mounts. I've advised her that she really needs to think about replacing it; she agrees but is very attached to the car. However she has asked me to suggest a suitable alternative, budget no more than £2,000.

She says she'd like another turbo diesel; she works as an educational support assistant through agencies, which can involve up to a 50 mile round trip commute. Good boot space is a must, as she is of the ilk who carry a spare kitchen sink lest the current one gets blocked. The only definite no-no is Renault, with which she's had bad expeience in the past. She would also prefer to buy from a dealer so that she has some form of warranty.

Would welcome suggestions please.

Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - The Melting Snowman
Spending £2000 at dealer you are looking at a car with value no more than £1000. You are well into banger territory.

If her current car is smokey at start-up, it might not be anything more than a glowplug.
She could spend £2000 and end up with a worse car than she currently has. If the electrical problems are minor and do not affect the car adversely, I think I might get a quote for welding up the suspension mounts and take it from there.
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - HensTeeth
Aren't those one of the last semi-indestructible Peugeots?

If I were looking for that sort of vehicle, on that sort of budget, I think I might go looking for a Honda Civic petrol. Perhaps something like www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702242649902 . I know that one's a bit over budget and the styling of that model won't suit everyone, but economy isn't miles off a diesel, and there's a lot less to go wrong.

There you go - a suggestion that almost completely misses the mark for what your friend says she wanted! My concern would be that what she wants - an old turbo-diesel - and what's implied, economical motoring, don't seem to go hand in hand anymore.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Mar 17 at 17:46
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - Harleyman
>> Aren't those one of the last semi-indestructible Peugeots?
>>

Pretty much so.

>> There you go - a suggestion that almost completely misses the mark for what your
>> friend says she wanted! My concern would be that what she wants - an old
>> turbo-diesel - and what's implied, economical motoring, don't seem to go hand in hand anymore.
>>

That is my concern too.
>>Aren't those one of the last semi-indestructible Peugeots?

Which is why she may be better off spending some of that £2000 patching up the current car. But without seeing the 306 and knowing what these electrical problems are and knowing what she's had repair/replaced on it, it's very hard to advise. If £500 to £700 gets another year or two out of this car, I think I would look at that option first.
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - HensTeeth
>> If £500 to £700 gets another year or two out of this car, I think I would look at that option first.

I've a lot of sympathy for that approach too - especially if she's attached to the car.

I'd have a similar dilemma if my 18-year old Mondeo threw a big bill. In the case of mine, I went on honeymoon in it and it got me out of a very sticky situation with another car I'd bought, which turned out to have been, er, 'very well prepared for sale'... It helps that it's never caused a moment's trouble, but attachment to cars can be an expensive business, as Mrs. HT proved, spending fortunes on her Megane, only to have to scrap it within a year.
Last edited by: HensTeeth on Sat 4 Mar 17 at 19:17
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - henry k
>> I'd have a similar dilemma if my 18-year old Mondeo threw a big bill.
>>
I parked my 18 year old Ghia X saloon Mondeo. It had a couple of probably easy to fix faults.
I will probably give it away. It now has a flat battery, a flat tyre and auto in park.
Scrap yard ? None local and so far the only on line quote is £7 i will phone a few for more quotes
and also ask the local fie brigade guys.
Sad as it has a good 2.L engine and good auto gearbox.
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - Clk Sec
>> spending fortunes on her Megane, only to have to scrap it within a year.

A big mistake a colleague made some years ago, was to part with his trusty old 306 and buy a new, and very troublesome, Megane.
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - Dog
Nice little Micra here with history for £2k www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612150625255
 Peugeot 306 - Replacing a much-loved car - Dog
Take Note of this Nissan too: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702132279908
The lady doesn't want a Renault. Although the 1.5 engine seems to be generally a tough unit. Look for a cambelt change having been done or factor that into the asking price.
Latest Forum Posts