Motoring Discussion > New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate II Replies: 41

New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Dulwich Estate II
One of our cars has the post 2014 Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

One tyre is punctured and we need a new tyre. I was on the point of ordering a new one when I noticed several tyre places bringing attention to possible work needed to the special valve or even talking of a new one.

I don't want to pay for more than I have to and don't want to be talked into extra costs. So, I need to educate myself on the pros and cons.

Advice please.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Old Navy
The key word is "possible". You need to find out if you have individual tyre monitors (valves) or an ABS based system that monitors wheel rotation and has standard wheels, tyres, and valves.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Mar 17 at 15:50
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - R.P.
Changed tyres on three run flat Beemers and twice on bikes with TM. No issues.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Hard Cheese
>> Changed tyres on three run flat Beemers >>

BMWs have a rolling radius system, the rolling radius reduces as the tyre deflates so by monitoring the rotational speed a flat can be detected, no special valve needed.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Manatee
BMW uses both systems (although as far as I know, not at the same time!)
>> BMW uses both systems>>

Interesting. The 2005 120i (and ex '2010 123d) are rolling radius, I will have to double check re the 2015 M135i.
I just googled, and apparently the rotational version is called FTM (Flat Tyre Monitoring) and the sensor one TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitoring) in BMW-speak.

I'm pretty sure the 320d GT I test drove recently had TPM, if the account of its function given by the salesman was anywhere close.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - PeterS
My 2016 M235i has the sensor based TPMS that measures individual tyre pressure and temperature. I had to get a second set of sensors for the winter wheel / tyres ;) Purchased on eBay and pre-coded for the car, and fitted by a mobile fitter. Unless they're damaged they should need replacing when the tyres are changed.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - smokie
"Unless they're damaged they should need replacing when the tyres are changed"

Shouldnt?'
>> "Unless they're damaged they should need replacing when the tyres are changed"
>>
>> Shouldnt?'
>>

Oops! Yes, of course...sorry! Shouldn't need replacing
My 320 also gives measurements of the tyre pressure on a graphic.
>> My 2016 M235i has the sensor based TPMS that measures individual tyre pressure and temperature. I had to get a second set of sensors for the winter wheel / tyres >>

Yes, in hindsight the M135i is the same, it presents measured pressures so must have pressure sensors rather than a rolling radius system.

We have a set of steel wheels with winter run flats for the 120i and had then fitted from early Jan until early March this year, however I have not got around to getting winter wheels/tyres for the M135i. What wheel/tyre combo did you go for?

>>
>> We have a set of steel wheels with winter run flats for the 120i and
>> had then fitted from early Jan until early March this year, however I have not
>> got around to getting winter wheels/tyres for the M135i. What wheel/tyre combo did you go
>> for?
>>

I went for the BMW style 380 17" wheel/RFT combation. Tyres are just 205/50/17 (Continental) so quite a bit narrower than the standard summer set up. I'm swapping them back this weekend I think - it hit 15 degrees here, and the car's twitchier at higher (!) speeds on them now it's warmer. But in the cold/frost/damp they were noticably gripper than the Michelin Pilot Supersports - horses for courses!

>> I went for the BMW style 380 17" wheel/RFT combation. Tyres are just 205/50/17 (Continental) so quite a bit narrower than the standard summer set up. I'm swapping them back this weekend I think - it hit 15 degrees here, and the car's twitchier at higher (!) speeds on them now it's warmer. But in the cold/frost/damp they were noticably gripper than the Michelin Pilot Supersports - horses for courses!
>>

I find the Dunlop 205-55/16 winter RFTs on the 120i much better in ice, snow and mud, and fine if below about 8 deg C in the wet or dry, though otherwise it steers much more sharply and is much quieter on the (Goodyear) 205-50/17 RFT summer tyres.

I am slightly surprised that 17" wheels fit over the 135/235 brakes, my 123d also had bigger brakes than the 120i so needed 17" winter wheels/tyres minimum though it's brakes certainly looked smaller than the 135.

Are your Michelin Pilot Supersports RFT? Mine is on Bridgestone S001 RFTs and they have loads of life left after 12k miles where as the 123d on 245/35-18 Bridgestone RE050As needed new rears well before 20k miles as I recall.

What spec is your 235? Auto/manual, adaptive suspension etc?
Last edited by: Cheddar on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 00:30
>>
>> I am slightly surprised that 17" wheels fit over the 135/235 brakes, my 123d also
>> had bigger brakes than the 120i so needed 17" winter wheels/tyres minimum though it's brakes
>> certainly looked smaller than the 135.
>>
>> Are your Michelin Pilot Supersports RFT? Mine is on Bridgestone S001 RFTs and they have
>> loads of life left after 12k miles where as the 123d on 245/35-18 Bridgestone RE050As
>> needed new rears well before 20k miles as I recall.
>>
>> What spec is your 235? Auto/manual, adaptive suspension etc?
>>
>>

I was surprised too, and I understand not all styles of 17" wheels will fit over the M Performance brake callipers. However the configurator at BMW.co.uk has th 380s with 205/50 tyres as an approved winter set-up:

www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ownership/accessories/wheels-tyres/winter-tyre-config.html

The Michelins are not runflats; the consensus at babybmw.net is that they're the better option, and are standard spec. The RFTs are a no cost option from new, if that makes sense? I don't expect to get anywhere near 20k mikes from them...

Spec-wise mines pretty standard. It's a manual convertible on standard suspension. Estoril blue - to match the callipers ;) Oyster leather. I've had a few BMWs so I knew I wanted the Professional Media pack, and that I also wasn't fussed about the adaptive suspension. It's a convertible so I needed heated seats, but that also meant that spending anything on upgraded audio was pointless because (a) the BMW options aren't that great and (b) the flexible roof and additional road noise mean you don't get the benefit! Should have chosen lumbar support but didn't, and should also have specc'ed electric seats. It's ages since I've had a BMW with manual seats, and the adjustment mechanism is dire.

Bought it really as I thought it might be one of the last chances to buy a mainstream, small, 6 cylinder manual transmission petrol car before they're taxed out of existence! And it is great to drive and makes a lovely (albeit enhanced inside the car) noise, with entertaining (albeit deliberately engineered-in) pops and bangs on the over-run. Both of those make it tiring on long journeys though - my preference is to take the A3 then if I can. The A3 also has far nicer seats, and a higher quality interior. So far I've done 8k miles in the BMW, and loved almost all of them. It's a bit noisy on start-up; if we had closer neighbours I think it'd actually become a bit embarrassing. I've also collected an impressive number of Avios via Shell points in that time. Averages 27.5 mpg according to the OBC. High is around 36 from a tank. Low is 18! The auto is more economical, quicker and has lower emissions...but none of those were particularly important to me :)
>> Spec-wise >>

Thanks Peter, I have driven a 2-Series convertible briefly, fantastic on a sunny day like today I'm sure! I find runflats reassuring though not everyone likes them I know. I needed a 5dr hatch/estate and considered small estates (330d etc) and other sporty hatches including Audis and VWs though I actually prefer the BMW interior, not to mention the 6 cyl engine. Mines a 2015 M135i 5dr LCi (facelift), I thought I wanted a manual though the demonstrator developed a flat after a mile or so and the dealer offered a drive in an auto and I was hooked. The adaptive suspension is limo like in comfort and nice and taught in sport. And you can link and unlink the suspension from the drivetrain so can have sport gearbox/steering/throttle with comfort suspension etc. I agree re lumbar, it would be good to have particularly after a recent reoccurrence of a back problem though the heated seats help, almost too hot on #3. It's one of the last built before the "full black panel" was standard (so the MPG gauge is analogue), this is an advantage with the auto box as the gear position indicator is central, right between your hands when using the paddles, whereas with the black panel it's off to the right under the MPG gauge. Electric fold mirrors are a virtual must for me and the fact that they are also auto dimming is a bonus. The cruise control is a good system though I have not needed to test it's brake function ;-), and the adaptive LED headlights are brilliant, literally. Yes the auto is supposed to be more economical, I am averaging over 30mpg and 37mpg + is easy on a motorway run. As far as being noisy on start up, it's no noisier than any diesels I have had and surely a much more pleasant soundtrack for anyone listening ...
I did a 400 mile round trip to Nottingham yesterday and averaged 34 mpg. That was just keeping flow with traffic...so 80+ at time, and 50 for miles on end through the roadworks. Plus my usual A/B road blast through the South Downs at the start and end.

Mind does have the black panel; useful but not essential as far as I can see. Nice having the sat nav junction layouts there, but kitttle else. I do use the connected services quite a bit, both to send locations to the car and to search for places when in it. I've also got email set up, and Spotify, all controllable via idrive.

Interior wise, for the sort of car it is, the leather/alcantara sports seats in our A3 are far grippier and more comfortable, and the dials are crisper. Audis MMI plus has more functionality than the BMW system, but a smaller (albeit far better resolution) screen. The one thing I wish the BMW has is the google maps satellite imGery that the Audi had

I'm very pleased with it overall, and not really sure what I'd replace it with :)
34mpg is really not bad over 400 mixed miles.

I have never been fussed about sat nav, I much rather plan the journey and have it in my mind's eye. The BMW system works fine, though the other day I wasted some time, it was operator error, it was left on "least motorway" hence I wondered why it was not taking me the way that seemed to make most sense.

>> I'm very pleased with it overall, and not really sure what I'd replace it with
>> :)

It would be a dilemma needing a 5 door, for you perhaps an M2 ... or maybe an M4 ...
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Runfer D'Hills
My E class estate did 56.5 mpg yesterday over 360 miles. Which is more like what I think isn't bad. But of course I am a bad person because it's a diesel. Apparently. ;-)
>> My E class estate did 56.5 mpg yesterday over 360 miles. >>

Excellent!

>> it's a diesel >>

Oh ...

:-)
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Dog
=> I am a bad person because it's a diesel.

Three hail Marys & four our Fathers would suffice.
And what did it sound like at 7,000 rpm with the roof down in the 16 degree spring afternoon ;)
7000rpm?

Nothing so vulgar of course, more of a low thrum, barely audible in fact. Wafty, very wafty...

;-)

You would, once in a while, if you could ;)
And I think the 447NM of torque makes it wafty enough, when it needs to be :p
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 19:34
Tangentially, I notice, only in the passing you understand, not at all because I might be slightly interested, but I did notice that you can now buy a BMW 5 series touring somewhat misleadingly called a 530i. In fact it has a 2.0 four cylinder engine but in its defence it produces 250 or something bhp and a 6 point something 0-60 time. Fuel consumption isn't in modern diesel territory, but it's not bad being in the high 40s. And it isn't too bad on bik either. Well, not by comparison to my car anyway...Not that I'm even slightly bothered... ;-)
>> you can now buy a BMW 5
>> series touring somewhat misleadingly called a 530i. In fact it has a 2.0 four cylinder
>> engine
>>

It's been around a few years in 528i and 530i form, I considered a 328i or 330i touring and test drove the former, a used auto, strong performance and refined, no worse for being a four IMO. 40mpg average possible.
Interesting. I hadn't picked up on the engine size no longer being linked to the model number. As in I thought a 530i was a three litre six. Still doing nigh on 40,000 miles a year y'see so hadn't looked beyond diesels. May have to though the way things are going. Plug in hybrids wouldn't really work for me, they'd be out of electricity before I'd stopped for breakfast, but a reasonably frugal petrol engine in a large load lugging body might be the way forward.

Sorry about the monumental thread drift BTW !
>>
>> Sorry about the monumental thread drift BTW !
>>

Reckon PeterS and I had already taken it well off track ;-) The 330d/530d is still a 3ltr six and there are more around than the petrols, despite the anti diesel vibe if I were doing 40k a year I would probably go diesel at least for another 2 years and 80k. A late 520d, 190bhp and 400nm or 4cyl 525d, 218bhp and 450nm would be worth a look as well as the 530d.
There's always a 530e...
news.bmw.co.uk/article/the-bmw-530e-iperformance-saloon/
Excellent in BIK tax I imagine, and 141mpg is more than an E220d... as is the 250bhp and 420NM of torque ;)

Though at 40k a year I'd imagine you'd get nearer 45/50 mpg if our A3 (same PHEV technology) is anything to go by
I might have had a brief look at a Mercedes... the C43AMG convertible looks okay, but then the C63 isn't *that* much more ;)

I love the look of the M2, but it's only got around 40bhp more than the 235i and it while it is a far more focussed drive that's not really what I'd be looking for :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 14:24
The C43 is no quicker than a -35i/-40i , I agree with you fully on the M2, it's only a little quicker, 7 speed DCT rather than 8 speed auto and a more focussed drive is also not on my agenda.

If I had the money - and I most certainly don't - I might look at an Alpina B3/B3s touring with 410hp/600nm or 440hp/660nm from the -35i/M2 N55 engine. I wouldn't have the Alpina wheels though, BMW wheels look better IMO.
Hi Peter, how much did you pay for the TPMS sensors and did the seller code them?

Thanks!
>> Hi Peter, how much did you pay for the TPMS sensors and did the seller
>> code them?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

From memory they were about £120 for 4. Certainly that sort of price. They came coded to the car, although I did think I'd been sold a dud initially as it took about 2 miles for the car to pick up the sensors and start reporting tyre temperature and pressure!! Much longer than it takes to reset the system after inflating the tyres. I'll try and dig out the name of the seller
>> I'll try and dig out the name of the seller
>>

Great, thanks!
>> >> I'll try and dig out the name of the seller
>> >>
>>
>> Great, thanks!
>>
Right, they came from here as a set of 4
www.m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=tpms-centre
Lookslike they're £140ish now. A bit more than I remember
The bikes use transmitters as do Triumph's bikes thus equipped.
I don't think it follows that the valve has to be replaced even if it has sensors - the manual for our Outlander I think just recommends valve core replacement, the sensors should be OK.

The Roomster has the relative wheel rotations type which as ON says is bog standard valves.
Thanks all, but to be honest I'm still none the wiser.

If a dodgy tyre fitting place tells me "you need a new angle sprocket valve thingy mate" what do I do ? I know plenty enough about brake rip-offs but nought about TPMS.

The thing is, my trusted place wants £12 a tyre more than a well known (but not by me) outfit (not KF) which I'm not sure I can trust.

I'll just pay my regular bloke £12 more and put it down to experience.
 New tyre and Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Old Navy
You have a choice, do a bit of research, (read the cars user manual) or go into the tyre transaction blind and pay the asking price. I find it pays to know what you have, and what you want done to it before asking an "expert" in the motor trade to fix it.
"You have a choice, do a bit of research, (read the cars user manual) or go into the tyre transaction blind and pay the asking price. I find it pays to know what you have, and what you want done to it before asking an "expert" in the motor trade to fix it. "

Absolutely correct !

This is a forum of knowledgable people - not a bad place to start one's research. Unfortunately there is no definitive answer and either I spend time looking further or just pay £12 extra now.

PS "(read the cars user manual)" - not much use.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Thu 16 Mar 17 at 23:38
I think the conclusion is that you can simply replace the tyre and you only need to replace the valve/sensor if it's faulty, no guarantees of course though I think that's how I would proceed from reading the above.
I got the new tyre fitted today at my regular place and all went well. My mind was elsewhere and I didn't think to ask any questions - silly me.

At home now reading the receipt: I have a new balanced tyre with a new valve all for the expected price. No dramas at all.
Latest Forum Posts