Motoring Discussion > Dash Cam Advice Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 41

Dash Cam Advice - zippy
Further to Roger's recent video clip of his daughter's crash (not her fault) and an incident at a Y junction for me last night, I am going to buy one for the front and the rear windscreens.

I stopped for an ambulance that was half way through a red light on blues. If I hadn't stopped I would have hit the ambulance at worst or delayed it at best (the lights were green for me).

The car behind didn't like me stopping and the driver got out came round and hammered on my window. I ignored him and drove off when I could.

I would like to think that letting the ambulance through helped save someone!

Any recommendations please?
 Dash Cam Advice - Roger.
Halford's will hardwire them for you at a reasonable price, if you buy from them.
They stock the Nextbase range.
 Dash Cam Advice - Duncan
>> Further to Roger's recent video clip of his daughter's crash (not her fault) and an
>> incident at a Y junction for me last night, I am going to buy one
>> for the front and the rear windscreens.
>> Any recommendations please?
>>

We did this less than two weeks ago!

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=23982&m=527717
 Dash Cam Advice - zippy
Thanks!

Memory slipping in old age!
 Dash Cam Advice - CGNorwich
I guess it's all down to perception but neither the outcome of the incident you outlined not that of Rogers's daughter would have been any diiferent with a webcam involved. I guess I just hate the idea of everyone filming everyone else. All a bit 1984 and a little too paranoid for me.
 Dash Cam Advice - zippy
>> I guess it's all down to perception but neither the outcome of the incident you
>> outlined not that of Rogers's daughter would have been any diiferent with a webcam involved.
>> I guess I just hate the idea of everyone filming everyone else. All a bit
>> 1984 and a little too paranoid for me.
>>

I understand where you are coming from, especially with revelations that devices and software are constantly listening to us (Alexa, Shazam, Samsung TVs etc).

But in Roger's daughter's situation, if the 3rd party denied responsibility or claimed she was speeding, the dash cam footage would have helped.

If you want ammo for the tinfoil hat brigade...

fortune.com/2017/03/10/amazon-alexa-cia/
I guess so but the facts kind of speak for themselves. I can't deny that in some circumstances a dash cam might help to decide on blame but on the whole I'd rather not bother and get on with life. What happens happens.
 Dash Cam Advice - legacylad
You might change your mind if you lived and drove around Bradford. The police are very grateful for any webcam evidence of anti social driving. Such videos feature almost daily in the local rag, and having driven in and around that Third World part of Yorkshire in the past fortnight I'm not surprised.
 Dash Cam Advice - Duncan
>> You might change your mind if you lived and drove around Bradford.
>>

Why is it so bad around Bradford?

(Southerner)
 Dash Cam Advice - Dave_
Look at this list of postcodes and their car insurance risk ratings. Note the rate for BD1, 3, 4 and 7. Compare with similar areas in Leicester, Luton, Birmingham...

www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html
Last edited by: Dave_ on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 22:58
 Dash Cam Advice - Ted

It's the same round Manchester, Leggy. I have cameras front and rear. There are an awful lot of poor drivers round here. I suspect a lot haven't driven much in this country.
Really Duncan... you honestly don't know why it's so bad? Some of the worst postcodes in the Country for insurance purposes. Google 'Operation Steerside' for the ongoing police operation.
My friends in the local emergency services in Bradford, both Police & Fire, inform me that a high powered car... S3, Gti, M3, etc is legally leased from afar with a respectable postcode. Said vehicle is then sub let at £100 an hour. If the 'sub lettees' crash or Are involved in a chase, they leg it. ' the legal owner then reports it as 'stolen'.
Only last week at 4AM the passenger in an RS4 was killed in Bingley, having been involved in a race with a Gti from Bradford.
 Dash Cam Advice - Duncan
>> Really Duncan... you honestly don't know why it's so bad? Some of the worst postcodes
>> in the Country for insurance purposes. Google 'Operation Steerside' for the ongoing police operation.
>>

I am from The South, The Deep South. So, I did what you said, Link to Telegraph and Argus:-

tinyurl.com/gsyv3by

Surely this is no different from police operations in any large town/city across the country?

BTW its 7 degrees C (how do you do a degree symbol?) in Bradford a t'moment.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 18 Mar 17 at 07:09
From a car crime point of view, Bradford has one of the worst, if not the worst, records in the country. No tax, insurance, unregistered, banned drivers, idiotic & dangerous driving.

I spent the first 14 years of my life living in the centre of Bradford, and bought my first house there. TBH it's like a bombed out war zone in parts. Sunbridge Road, where I worked for many years, was a thriving wool centre. Warehouses, offices, pubs. Now it's virtually derelict.

If it were Leeds the old warehouses, almost in the centre, would be trendy apartments, but Leeds has sucked all the life out of Bradford over the years. The decent stores closed years ago, either shut down completely or relocated to Leeds. It took years for the new Broadway shopping centre to be developed and it's just like any other so I am told.

So sad that such a fine City, as it was in my childhood, is now such a cess pit. And I don't use those words lightly.

"Welcome to Bradford district where the fresh air and natural beauty will invigorate you, whilst the heritage and culture will fascinate you. There is no place like Bradford as we have 4 unique areas which offer distinctive experiences whether you are a new visitor or returning to explore further.
Where else can you enjoy two UNESCO sites, two moorlands combined with the former home of literary greats, alongside a city full with a rich and varied mix of cultures and languages?"

From the Visit Bradford web site
 Dash Cam Advice - mikeyb
And they say you cant polish a turd
 Dash Cam Advice - Dave_
>> (how do you do a degree symbol?)

Google search "degree symbol", copy and paste one from the results.

Like this: 13°C in Melton Mowbray right now.

Use the same trick for é, ö and so on.
 Dash Cam Advice - No FM2R
>> >> (how do you do a degree symbol?)

Press and hold the 'Alt' key, type 248 on the keypad, release 'Alt'

23°
 Dash Cam Advice - tyrednemotional
>> >> >> (how do you do a degree symbol?)
>>
>> Press and hold the 'Alt' key, type 248 on the keypad, release 'Alt'
>>
>> 23°
>>

...note "keypad" means the numeric keypad normally to the right on a full keyboard. It wont work using the numbers on the top line.

(In Windows, lots of special characters can be typed in a similar manner - if you can remember the numeric sequence for them. Otherwise resorting to Google and copying, or using "Charmap" is probably quicker.)
 Dash Cam Advice - MD
A very colourful story.
 Dash Cam Advice - MD
My mate is a very busy insurance broker. As I've said here before. He will not touch most of Bradford.

Are the cars that are being driven badly of any particular colour?
 Dash Cam Advice - No FM2R
>Any recommendations please?

For a specific webcam - no, however...

They get stolen, certainly around here they do. So are you going to have it concealed or remove it every time you park? If you're going to remove it, how easy is that going to be with cables and things? Will it stay "aimed".

It used to be said that cars showing marks on the windscreen where TomToms were fitted were often broken into on the assumption that the TomTom was in the glove box. I don't know how true that was.

Or maybe that just isn't an issue in the UK.

Dash Cam Advice - sooty123
> Or maybe that just isn't an issue in the UK.
>>
>>
>>

Can't say I've heard too much about dashcams bring stolen. Quite popular on a few forums and I can't say I've heard of one being stolen.
 Dash Cam Advice - Ted
You have now Sooty. My own fault, I left the Vitara unlocked one night a coupla years ago. This meant the alarm wasn't on. Some scrote had a look round the car, nicked me dashcam and a quids worth of change. Cheap dashcam off Amazon...about £6, I think.

What narked more was...a week later I went on a job and found my commercial jump leads were gone as well.. cost me about 20 quid some 30 years ago...so pretty good ones. Had to abandon the job and take my spare ones back the following morning. I've kept them under the bonnet since then !
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Oct 18 at 10:15
 Dash Cam Advice - Bobby
Most mid range dash cams will be fine for daytime use - the night time quality is what sets the men from the boys.
My Mobius is great daytime and replaying on VLC player I can pause and clearly see other registrations. Depending on lighting, most night time stills just produce a blurr.

My Mobius doesn't have a screen so is smaller and more discrete to locate. It literally just sits and records away. Every month or two I may take it down and plug in to laptop just to check if there are any new software updates etc but other than that it is left in situ.

Am surprised by the amount of cars I see driving around with dashcams and their screens are permanently on. That is illegal.

I have also seen some dashcams at night that seem to emit an LED light. See vehicles approaching with a white light coming from around their rear view mirror. Cant see what good that will do anyone!!
 Dash Cam Advice - Falkirk Bairn
I was given a Nextbase for Xmas.
Took it out the box today for the 1st time.

Daylight seems fine but the car makers need to sort out better connections than the cigarette lighter & 6 feet of cable. SWMBO was not impressed by the cable fiasco but was impressed with the HD picture.
 Dash Cam Advice - Manatee
I'm in the process of wiring mine into the new Outlander. I've put a piggy back fuse onto an ignition contolled live (the rear wiper fuse) and connected it to a flying acessory socket hidden behind the glove box.

I would have had it done by now but my earth (which I had checked) turned out to be unreliable so I need to find another when I have time to go back to it. Once that's in, all the cable can go behind the trim and headling. It won't tie up the accessory socket and it will start and stop when the car does.
 Dash Cam Advice - Roger.
My dash-cam is hard-wired in = no messy cable.
It is a newish Nextbase, which is held in the powered mount magnetically, so is very simple to slide out if required.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 18 Mar 17 at 19:46
 Dash Cam Advice - Stuartli
>>Am surprised by the amount of cars I see driving around with dashcams and their screens are permanently on. That is illegal.>>

Why? No one would look at a dashcam rather than the road ahead...!!!
 Dash Cam Advice - Lemma
I recently bought another dashcam, my second one having failed (Ambarella E-Prance 0801 followed by a cheapie Maplin own brand). The most popular seem to be the Nextbase brand, however they are quite expensive. I ended up buying a Senwow 8000 from Amazon. They get good reviews, come complete with micro SD card and various other useful items and have a good guarantee. I can vouch for their very good customer service. For less than £30 I felt this was a good bet compared to a Nextbase at a much higher price. Mine is hard wired to a switched fuse, surprisingly easy to wire in using a piggy back fuse, and the power supply was readily lost in the trim en route to the rear view mirror area. It is a standard mini USB fitting and fitted my new dashcam without problem.

The card will need regular re-formatting, as they all do, but so far after a couple of months I have been very pleased with mine. Even the instructions are written in English rather than chinglish and the controls are easy to use, I have no connection with Senwow but am happy to recomend them.
 Dash Cam Advice - Ted

I was in Maplins last week for some stuff and bought one of their own branded ones with a flying socket as an afterthought to replace the rear one which kept falling off when the back door was slammed. I had already taken a switched live from the socket which is in the nearside of the boot when I wired up my new tow bar.

I just wired up the flying socket to that and one of the bolts which hold the luggage restraints in the floor. All the wiring and connectors was tucked away in the side compartment which hides the jack handle and brace. The cable is behind the trim on the hinge post and looped across to the rear window. So far, it's stayed on ok.
 Dash Cam Advice - MD
Hi Teddy. Has the Vitara gorn?
 Dash Cam Advice - Ted

Sure has Martin. I put it on Gumtree at £1250. Guy got the hots and offered me 900 so I said yes. Turned up in the morning, hardly looked at it and went away. Sod it, said I, I upped it to 1350 and it went for a grand the same day. The buyer txted me a coupla weeks later to say how delighted he was with it and thanking me for selling it to him.

Ain't folk funny ?
 Dash Cam Advice - MD
I keep thinking of changing the Pajero for one of those whenever I get 5 mins to dream.
 Dash Cam Advice - movilogo
I bought a dash cam and after using it for a week I think this is an over-hyped gadget.

I thought it could serve the purpose of capturing tourist footage when I am on vacation to somewhere nice. But it can't. Firstly the wide angle view is not nice to watch, secondly memory card fills up in 2 hours. Using larger memory card might get 4-6 hours max on high quality.

For best result it should be placed on center of windscreen. I found that location distracting. So placed it on passenger side but view from there is kind of distorted.

My model is Toguard dashcam. Just £37 from Amazon. It is cheap, serves the purpose but don't think it is a must have. May be good for accident proof but that's it really.

Dash Cam Advice - zippy
>>May be good for accident proof but that's it really.

This is what I want one for....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2017-03/video-dash-cam-footage-saves-driver-gbp16000-insurance-claim-after-motorist-jumps-red-light/
 Dash Cam Advice - Bobby
Movilogo, when I first bought a dashcam it was to use on our road trip across America and it worked fine. If I remember correctly I also had my Samsung Galaxy tablet with me and I copied the SD card over to that each night. Obviously not the full days driving etc but was able to pull the stuff from Grand Canyon, Sedona, Route 66, Hoover dam, Vegas strip etc all onto it.
Heres a clip of it on YouTube

youtu.be/dxWVp9nSTlY

Agree centre of screen is required position. This is what my camera looks like
www.mobius-actioncam.com/
no screen on it which means it is therefore a lot smaller and more discreet.
 Dash Cam Advice - smokie
"This video is unavailable"
 Dash Cam Advice - bathtub tom
>>Sure has Martin. I put it on Gumtree at £1250. Guy got the hots and offered me 900

I had someone like that when I had a car for sale. Gave him my address and he turned up in a blinged up car and phoned me from outside my house to tell me he was here! A cursory walk round it and he offered much less than I was asking - told him to FO. I guess he was a dealer. Got what I was asking shortly after.
 Dash Cam Advice - TheManWithNoName
Since my friends recent head-on and subsequent insurance hassles, I've been seriously considering a dash cam. After so many decades of driving I feel my luck may run out and one of these devices may just help simplify matters in an otherwise stressful and fraught time.
I've been checking this guy out.
www.techmoan.com/
He seems to do a no nonsense, comprehensive review of a lot of cameras and puts some decent test footage on YT too.

The DDPai M6+ sounds good as does the Vantrue N1 and Viofo A119.
Good lenses, HD and wide angle and they seem to work quite well in low light.
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 13:17
 Dash Cam Advice - Manatee
>> Since my friends recent head-on and subsequent insurance hassles, I've been seriously considering a dash
>> cam. After so many decades of driving I feel my luck may run out and
>> one of these devices may just help simplify matters in an otherwise stressful and fraught
>> time.

I agree. Fit and forget, until you need it.

The accident that my wife had a couple of weeks ago was not her fault - oncoming car served across centreline and smashed the door mirror. £1500 repair. She was very lucky that the party not only stopped but accepted responsibility - what were the chances of that happening?

Not needed in this case, but a dash cam would have shown that she was on her own side of the road.
 Dash Cam Advice - tyrednemotional
...their practical use may be somewhat limited if the CPS deems it imppossible to prosecute in this case:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-39385809

:-(
Latest Forum Posts