Motoring Discussion > Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 13

Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Iffy
Pal of mine is fairly new to motorbiking.

He tells me he's had one or two hairy moments caused by him leaving the indicators on from a previous manoeuvre as he approaches the next junction, possibly misleading other road users at the junction.

Do other bikers or car drivers think this is a common occurrence?

And do any motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators?

Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Robin O'Reliant
In general, no.

Harley Davidsons have a self cancelling system of sorts, where the indicators are on a timer which cancels them after so long. A bleeding pain in the butt if you are waiting to turn in heavy traffic.
...pain in the butt if you are waiting to turn in heavy traffic...

Thanks, Robin.

Old black cabs didn't have self-cancelling indicators for this reason.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Harleyman
>>
>> Old black cabs didn't have self-cancelling indicators for this reason.
>>

Funny, I thought they just seized up through lack of use! ;-)

Robin is correct, Harleys do have self-cancelling indicators but the set-up is less than perfect. Tend to click off either too late or too early.

Yamaha tried it a few years ago too; problemis that the usual mechanical system as used on cars (cam on steering column) doesn't transfer itself easily to bikes. Some manufacturers did try loud "bleepers" but they didn't really catch on, most riders disconnected them as they were embarrassing.

I do tend to forget when riding my scooter, which doesn't have the self-cancelling set-up; my own view is that a brighter "idiot light" might help.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 20:21
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Ted

My Honda 600, in common with other models, has a slightly different system.
The switch, under the n/s handgrip, slides to the left or right. It then re-centres itself, with the flashers still on, and you press it in to cancel. Good big green lights on the speedo show you that you're flashing.
Thye other two bikes self-cancel by the simple method of pulling your arm in !
Interestingly, the Jowett has a self-cancelling system for it's semaphore arms. The switch, on the centre of the dash, is clockwork and ticks it's way back to the off position.

Ted
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Harleyman

>> Thye other two bikes self-cancel by the simple method of pulling your arm in !

My others work that way too Ted, simple, cheap and reliable!

My Honda scoot has the same method as your 600; the Harley has seperate switches for left and right, a system they've had for many years and one which I personally think is pants. Unfortunately most Harleys are fitted with 1" diameter bars ( others are 7/8") so there is little or no aftermarket choice.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - bathtub tom
>>Some manufacturers did try loud "bleepers" but they didn't really catch on,

I thought they were banned because too many sight challenged folk confused them with the crossing signal.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Hard Cheese

>>Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? >>

Yes!

I had a '79 RD250 Yamaha which had self-cancelling indicators, it featured the self-centering switch so they could be cancelled with a push of the button though they also cancelled after a combination of time and distance had elapsed.

As I recall at speed they would simply stay on for 15 secs or so though if in traffic, i.e. waiting to turn they would not cancel until a couple of hundred yards had been covered.

It was a great system which I also expected to be fitted to later Yamahas though my '90 FZR600 did not have it.

...Yes!..

I had a vague recollection some bikes did have self-cancelling indicators.

Mate of mine had a brand new RD125 - maroon, nice looking - I think that had the system Cheddar describes.

Another feature I recall is a self-retracting prop stand.

I think there was a little chain or belt which was only driven if you pulled away with the stand down.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Robin O'Reliant
Ducati used to have a spring loaded prop stand which caused no end of grief. If you didn't keep it pressed down till the weight of the bike was on it it would fly back up. I saw a guy drop a brand new one at High Beech in Essex a few years back, amid gales of cruel laughter from the assembled gaggle of Jap bike low-life.

I only sniggered myself, honest.
One of the Jap bikes I had was fitted with a rubber choc on the end of the prop stand.

If you pulled away with the stand down, as soon as you lent the bike into a bend, the choc would catch the road first and the bike's forward movement would retract the stand.

Quite well designed, I thought.

Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - DP
All my recent bikes cut out if you release the clutch in any gear other than neutral, with the sidestand down.

I found the lack of self cancelling indicators one of the most difficult aspects of the transition from driver to motorcyclist.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - jc2
Yamahas had them in the 80/90's.
 Do motorbikes have self-cancelling indicators? - Ted

The Honda won't run with the sidestand down asnd as soon as you put it down it cuts out.
Bit of a nuisance when you only want to get off for a sec to open the gate or something.

No chance of putting the centre stand down whilst on the bike......stand on it and it rolls itself on....it's heavy though !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts