Motoring Discussion > Another money making scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Another money making scam? - Old Navy
www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/161432/Drivers-to-get-20-fine-for-leaving-engine-running
 Another money making scam? - Dog
S'funny ... I've just come back from taking the missus down town and while I waited for her, I left the engine running because I don't like the cold for some strange reason - and they would have done me for that? - !
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Mar 10 at 10:18
 Another money making scam? - WellKnownSid
Oh please!

On the way to school I was stuck behind an idiot in a 4x4 - weaving all over the road because he was on his mobile.

He then 'abandons' his vehicle, blocking a narrow sidestreet in front of me, engine running, to talk to someone (and take a fag break) whilst I'm sat around waiting to pass.

I would have tooted, but he might have arrested me ;)
 Another money making scam? - Lygonos
The fines enforce Rule 123 of the Highway Code, which says: 'If the vehicle is stationary and likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should switch off the engine to reduce emissions and oil pollution.'

This has been an offence since 2002 ('Stationary Idling Offence').
 Another money making scam? - Bromptonaut
Typical Express story blaming Labour; the legislative powers were in an act passed under John Major in 1995.

Nobody needs to accept the fixed penalty. If they think they've been treated unfairly they can await a summons and plead their case in front of the Bench.
 Another money making scam? - Fursty Ferret
For those who leave the engine running for warmth - switch the engine off and turn the ignition back on again. Voila! Fan runs, engine still nice and hot, and you still get the radio.

Get cold after 10 minutes? Restart engine, run for 30 seconds to circulate the water, and repeat as above.
 Another money making scam? - Dave_
>> Get cold after 10 minutes? Restart engine, run for 30 seconds to circulate the water, and repeat

Pity the poor taxi driver then, sitting for 2 hours between jobs on a quiet January night without even being allowed the luxury of a little warmth... My Skoda used to cool down at idle so quickly I used to end up just going for a couple of miles' drive to get some heat back into the car, even if it lost me my place in the queue :-(
 Another money making scam? - Fursty Ferret
Exceptions to every rule. :-)

I was thinking more of a ten minute wait.
 Another money making scam? - -
No more high street car deliveries by transporter then, thanks jobsworth made my life easier, maybe they'll ferry them from the docks by canal barge instead.
 Another money making scam? - PhilW
I presume you need the engine running to power your lifts gb?
Another ill-thought-out law?
Wonder if someone will say "Oh we never thought of car transporters - lets make an exception"?
Or will it also affect every JCB digging holes to repair roads? Any vehicle with a tail- lift?
Or have I missed the point? ("as usual" as SWMBO would say!!!)
Phil
PS Can I claim first use of "SWMBO" on this site??

Another money making scam? - -
>> I presume you need the engine running to power your lifts gb?
>>

Yes though some vehicles are fitted with a remote starter so the driver can start and stop the engine during unloading procedures...an excellent uncommon extra.

In a way i don't mind them having these powers, we've all been in situations where we've been nearly choking on fumes in confined spaces where an extended stop situation has arisen, it's giving the powers to jobsworths who may have vested interests in nicks that's the problem.

As for exceptions for working vehicles i doubt it, my son delivers cars to many Central London rental sites for his company, he does the job as thoughfully quietly quickly and safely as possible but it's the exception when he doesn't get a parking ticket so i expect this to be bandied about with the same zealous fervour.
 Another money making scam? - bathtub tom
>>PS Can I claim first use of "SWMBO" on this site??

That honour(?) goes to gb:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=3&m=95
 Another money making scam? - Ted
Or slide-bed recovery vehicles with electric winches, GB. We'll all go back to lifting the front up with a little crane again.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts