Motoring Discussion > A lorry drivers perspective Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 47

A lorry drivers perspective - MD

Dear Motorist:
It may seem that I sit up here in the cab of my truck, looking out over the roof of your car, not paying any attention. The truth is I am always watching out for you. I’ve learned to see a slight movement of your head that tells me you are thinking of making a lane change. If we are approaching a junction or slip road, I try to anticipate your next action. I know when you are on the phone, eating, changing the station on your radio, talking to your passengers, or shouting at your kids in the back seat. I can usually tell when you are tired or impaired. I know when you’ve only got one hand on the steering wheel while the other is holding your phone as you tap out a text message (and of all the activities that get your attention, that one frightens me the most). I am keeping my eyes on you, all of you, all the time. I have no desire to cause injury to another human being and am well trained in doing whatever I can to prevent a collision, but I am only half of the equation.
Now I’d like to tell you some things about myself, so we can get better acquainted.
When my full sized artic is loaded it weighs anything upto 44 tons. If my truck were to land on you, it would be like dropping forty or fifty cars on your head. Since it takes four times the distance to stop my truck than it does your car, you can understand why I don’t like it when you cut in front of me. I am much bigger than you. I really need you to remember that when we are on the road together.
My truck is almost 65ft long. I can’t make any sharp turns, and I need extra space to go around a corner. I know you get impatient when I sit at a green traffic light, but I may be waiting to have enough room to make my turn without taking out a pole or running over another car. I always try to avoid starting a maneuver that I cannot safely finish, such as getting through a junction before the light changes to red. I wish it was easier, believe me, but there is nothing I can do to change the way it must be done.
I do wish my truck accelerated as fast as your car does so I could join a motorway or duel carriageway at 55mph instead of 45mph. I sometimes get very tired of having to go slowly up hills and around bends. I would love to drive faster and I wish there weren’t slower posted limits for trucks on B roads. But that’s how it is, and I have good reasons for wanting to obey the rules of gravity and the Law. Please be patient. I’m peddling as fast as I can!
The entire left side of my truck is a blind spot. And when you tailgate me, I can’t see you. As bad as all that is for me, it’s worse for you. Please don’t pass me on the inside, that's just suicide; I usually drive in lane 1 and I may move in that direction when you are next to me. It also makes me nervous to have you close behind me because I know you can’t see what’s going on in front of me. If something happens that causes me to slow down, you may run into the crashbar, it is a very solid object. It was designed to prevent cars from sliding under trucks in rear-end collisions, because those drivers were being decapitated. That bumper does NOT give way. Trust me.
I try to pass you carefully and with plenty of clearance. It is perfectly okay for you to flash your headlights to let me know I have room to move back over. I may not always acknowledge it but I do appreciate it, especially at night, in bad weather, and in heavy traffic; sometimes that flash is all I can see. Please only pass me when you know you have plenty of room. We both have to slow down for roadworks. We both have to merge when lanes end. We both have to give emergency vehicles space. We both should be cautious of stalled motorists on the roadside. Because I’m bigger and wider and heavier, I must be more careful than you. Please give me room to make those changes. Don’t make me choose between your car and the crash barrier or road worker or the traffic cop or the man changing the tire on his van.
I spend much of my work day driving in unknown areas. I may have no idea where my delivery is, much less which street I need to turn on to get there. If I make a mistake, I might find myself trapped on a cul-de-sac in a residential area where I’m not supposed to take a truck in the first place. At the least, it will be a difficult situation to resolve; at worst I could cause damage to a building or a person as I try to get out. I prefer to drive slowly and get it right the first time. I know YOU know where I need to be but I can’t ask directions, and you honking your horn or gesturing isn’t making it any clearer. I’m not trying to be stupid or in your way. I’m trying to be careful.
I admit I’m not always driving at my best either. I may be tired, hungry, sick, or just wanting to get home. I may be thinking of my kids, worrying about my finances, mourning a loss, regretting the chili I had for lunch, or wondering which junction I need to take to get to my destination. I try to pay attention, to not get impatient, to be courteous to others, but sometimes being Human gets in the way. Please try be as aware of me as I am of you.
It will make both our travels easier and safer if you also pay attention to what I am doing. If I slow down, it may be because I can see something up ahead from my higher viewpoint. If our paths are about to cross as you merge onto a motorway, please either decrease or increase your speed so I don’t have to do it. You can slow and accelerate your car much faster than I can my truck. That also applies if I pull out to pass a slower vehicle in my lane; it will slow you down a bit if you let me in your lane, but it can grind my progress to a halt if you don’t. If I am merging right for what appears to be no reason, I may be trying to avoid a traffic jam or emergency vehicle or roadworks. If you follow me it will go much smoother; if you try to out-distance me, we will still meet up farther down the road and you will save nothing. Please pay attention to those signs that are directed at truck drivers. Be aware of a reduced truck speed limits, an approaching VOSA sites, and travel lane restrictions. I must make those adjustments every day. I don’t make the laws, but I am expected to obey them. I’m always trying to be cooperative, and appreciate the same effort from you.
As a truck driver, I make deliveries to your grocery shop, restaurant, shopping centre, hospital, car dealership, and every other place you visit in the course of your day. Sometimes I am there when you are trying to conduct your business, and I may be in your way. I apologize. I do not set the times for my arrival, my customer does. Just as you expect good service, so do they from me. You cannot walk into any establishment and find an item used for business that did not spend at least part of its journey on a truck. Please let me do my job so you can do yours.
Truck drivers are vital to the economy of this country. Without us, all commerce would come to a skidding halt within a week, probably much less than that. We aren’t being boastful because we know it’s the truth. We are proud of the role we have in making our country strong and giving our fellow citizens a good life. Please help us do our best for you.
We are out here together, you and I.
Thank you.
 A lorry drivers perspective - CGNorwich
Eek! That 's a lot of words!

A lorry drivers perspective - Old Navy
Thanks for your perspective MD, it is a pity that the drivers that don't plan further ahead than their windscreen wipers are unlikely to read it, or if they did read it are too self important, arrogant, or thick to understand it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 13 May 17 at 09:23
Not my perspective dear boy. Shamelessly reproduced, but I think it was worth it.
>> Not my perspective dear boy. Shamelessly reproduced, but I think it was worth it.
>>

Dear boy!!! Should you be driving at your age. :-)
>> Dear boy!!! Should you be driving at your age. :-)
>>
Pardon, hang on, I'll get me glasses.
 A lorry drivers perspective - Pat
Very true, every word of it.

I've seen it before but wasn't brave enough to post it on here!

Pat
 A lorry drivers perspective - Ambo
>>The entire left side of my truck is a blind spot

The whole piece should be required reading for car licence applicants but I don't get this bit. Surely the left side is in view via the left side mirror?
That's correct Ambo and normally around 80% of it is in view.

There are lorry drivers who will argue that correctly adjusted mirrors means that 100% is in view but this is when the unit and trailer are in a straight line.

As soon as you put any lock whatsoever on the steering wheel you start to lose a percentage of that vision, hence the blind spots.

Pat
 A lorry drivers perspective - No FM2R
Maneuvering a truck around busy roads is a difficult thing to do, I think we've lost sight of that. To expect robotic performance is nonsensical.

A bit more tolerance on the road would go a long way. Start expecting everybody else to be 100% perfect when you are.

A lorry drivers perspective - Fursty Ferret
When my full sized artic is loaded it weighs anything upto 44 tons. If my truck were to land on you, it would be like dropping forty or fifty cars on your head. Since it takes four times the distance to stop my truck than it does your car, you can understand why I don’t like it when you cut in front of me. I am much bigger than you. I really need you to remember that when we are on the road together.

That's weird, given the distances truck drivers keep from each other and from me in 50 limits I'm pretty sure their stopping distance rivals that of supercars.

And another thing - flicking your indicator on while I'm alongside you (overtaking on the right) really hacks me off, as I don't know if you've seen me or not or if you're just getting your place in the queue.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 16 May 17 at 12:15
 A lorry drivers perspective - Bobby
What is the largest sized "fixed side" lorry and how much does it lose out on carrying capability to artics?
The largest rigid lorry is 30/32 tonnes depending on the configuration of the axles.

The largest Artic is 44 tonnes so there is a 12 tone advantage there and whether you are charging the customer per ton or per pallet it is quite a bit of difference.

This will tell you more Bobby

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211948/simplified-guide-to-lorry-types-and-weights.pdf

Pat
>> flicking your indicator on while I'm alongside you (overtaking on the right) really hacks me off,<<

Yep, I get that, it hacks us off too when you're sitting alongside of us instead of getting your foot down and getting on with it.

>>as I don't know if you've seen me or not or if you're just getting your place in the queue<<

Neither, we just want our escape route back pronto please.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 16 May 17 at 13:47
 A lorry drivers perspective - sooty123
Even when you're accelerating pretty hard there's always someone flicking their indicator, which makes you think if they've seen you. Sometimes they drive a wagon sometimes not. It's not always possible to get past as quick as the other party would like.

Sometimes there is no escape route to give back in heavy traffic but an overtake is quite possible.
 A lorry drivers perspective - commerdriver
>> Neither, we just want our escape route back pronto please.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Pat, with all due respect, the primary "escape" route is the same for lorries as it is for cars, namely in front of you where you should leave enough room to stop in your own lane.

While I agree that it is preferable always to leave an additional escape route beside you if at all possible, it is not always possible with lines of moving traffic.
If an accident happens in front of me and a car, or lorry or even caravan spins and starts coming towards me then I want escape routes wherever possible and that includes the lane to the right of me.

This should be stuck on every car dashboard in sight of the driver.

When overtaking it is NOT acceptable to...

Admire the scenery
Let your eye be drawn to the car on the opposite carriageway that you fancy
Eat your lunch (lunchbox on passenger seat is a dead give away)
Check in to Facebook
Check your emails
Become fascinated by the underside of the lorry you're alongside.
Chastise the kids in the back seat
Pick your nose
Allocate next weeks work rota
Argue with the better half
Play drums on the steering wheel.
Overtaking with brain in neutral is forbidden.

All of these are visible from a lorry cab.

If you're going to do it, then wait a second to let the gap in front of you clear so you can put your foot down and do it quickly.

What's wrong with that? It's safer for all concerned.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 16 May 17 at 14:39
 A lorry drivers perspective - sherlock47
Pat you have chosen to answer or comment on the easy issues.

What about the other question raised by Ly?

"Since it takes four times the distance to stop my truck than it does your car, you can understand why I don’t like it when you cut in front of me. I am much bigger than you. I really need you to remember that when we are on the road together."

>>>That's weird, given the distances truck drivers keep from each other and from me in 50 limits I'm pretty sure their stopping distance rivals that of supercars.<<<

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 16 May 17 at 15:31
I thought it was FF who asked that?

I wasn't actually aware he was asking a question. I assumed he was making a statement of his opinion which of course, he's entitled to.

However I wouldn't question how close he flies his aeroplane to the one on the next flight path. I would bow to his superior knowledge and assume he knew his job.

I expect him to do exactly the same with me.

Pat
 A lorry drivers perspective - sherlock47
I thought it was FF who asked that? My mistake - well spotted.

You are normally very quick to defend the lorry driving profession. Why duck this one?

It is not just his opinion - probably 95% of the car drivers on here would have the same view.
Car drivers are bad and good

Lorry drivers are bad and good.

Why would I defend bad lorry driving?

Why would I assume so many car drivers who have never driven the miles we have are in any position to judge our driving when quite probably their accident record won't match ours?

Like I said, I don't question MD's building, FF's piloting, Mappy's accounting or even Lygonos's virtual diagnosis.

I have done so many Road safety training days where car drivers are invited and once we decided to sit car drivers in a car and drove a lorry up behind them and stopped it. We then asked the car driver to look in their rear view mirror and estimate how far behind the lorry was.
In every case it was massively underestimated, for the simple reason all they could see was the radiator grill which remember is usually around 5' high.

I will defend to the end a lorry driver wrongly accused but I refuse to defend against another persons opinion of distance/speed/ability who has no experience whatsoever of driving a lorry.

For the simple reason, it is so often exaggerated and down to individual perception.

If you want to go down the pot and kettle route just look at the amount of multi car shunts there are on a motorway when the traffic slows down or stops......I wouldn't ask you to defend those because I wouldn't expect you to do it.....but I have no doubt the ones who do it are idiots.

That doesn't make all car drivers idiots and I wouldn't expect you to defend them.

Pat

>>I refuse to defend against another persons opinion of distance/speed/ability who has no experience whatsoever of driving a lorry.

The stopping distance of a truck is [a lot] longer than that of a car. So even if I don't know how far one truck should be from another, I know it must be more than you expect me to leave between my car and a truck to maintain safety.

So if a truck is allowing even less distance than wisdom says I should allow, I think I'm well able to decide that its dangerous.

You are entirely right of course, there's b***** awful drivers whatever vehicle they're in. But whilst a bad car driver is capable of more damage than a bad bike rider, a bad truck driver capable of even more than that.

And of course, a truck is bigger, it is slower, it does take up more room so even driven well its going to pss off intolerant drivers, driven badly there's no chance of peaceful passage.

I wouldn't defend a bad driver, but then much as one often hears car drivers say "I am a good driver", right or wrong, I don't think you ever hear a car driver try to put car drivers as a group on a pedestal. I think sometimes truck drivers do. The original post in this thread as a case in point.

>>The original post in this thread as a case in point.<<

It wasn't written by me or posted by me for that reason.

I saw this a couple of years ago doing the rounds and decided not to post it on here.

I agree with probably 75% of it but there are a certain amount of lorry drivers around these days who think they are special.

They're not, they do a job just as I did, and most of us do it well.

It didn't make me special, just proud of what I achieved, just as any other person who gets to the top of their chosen career.

The world doesn't owe us a living for 'what we do' but a bit more consideration and understanding on the road would make it one hell of a lot easier!

I hear the whinge every week that 'It's not like it used to be, we don't get the respect, everybody hates us'

My answer?

It's a hell of a lot better than when I started, no handball, no roping and sheeting and when you give respect you just might get it back'.

It doesn't go down well, but never mind!

Pat
>> >>The original post in this thread as a case in point.<<
>>
>> It wasn't written by me or posted by me for that reason.

To be clear, I did realise that.

>> The world doesn't owe us a living for 'what we do' but a bit more
>> consideration and understanding on the road would make it one hell of a lot easier!

I entirely agree. 100%.

>> ... and when you give respect you just might get it back'.

It seems like very few people on the roads these days understand that. Or tolerance.

We seem to think we can do what we like, impact others as we choose, and show no consideration, and our only justification is that we are within the law.

Yet we are outraged if anybody else thinks they can do the same with the same justification and impact us in the process.

>> If an accident happens in front of me and a car, or lorry or even
>> caravan spins and starts coming towards me then I want escape routes wherever possible and
>> that includes the lane to the right of me.
>>
Of course but in 99 cases out of 100 nothing will be coming back towards you and you should ba able to stop in your own lane.

From what I remember from Road Wars and other such programmes when they have been filming in a lorry, getting distracted by all the things you list can be done equally easily in a lorry cab along with a few new ones like cooking lunch.

Of course we should all try to have space beside us, all I said was it is not always possible and the main option for a problem in front of you is to brake in your own lane, n to swerve into the lane beside you and cause problems for other people.
In an ideal world commerdriver, but in my vast experience on the roads over the last 30 years the world is not ideal and I prefer to be prepared for any eventuality as do my colleagues.

It's what we're taught to do, and it worked for me enough to give me an accident free record so I won't question it.

Road Wars is a TV programme just like the one the PDA made many years ago to promote road safety for Channel 4 and I know just how staged and edited they are!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 16 May 17 at 16:03
I agree you need to be prepared for any eventuality as do car drivers and many are but lets not pretend that lorry drivers are all saints who always do exactly what they should, any more than car drivers are.

I was always taught to assume any other driver on the road is liable to do something stupid and to be prepared for that. I try to keep a sideways escape open too but all I was saying is that its not always possible and a flick of the indicators from a driver you are overtaking is not a good thing to see.
>>and a flick of the indicators from a driver you are overtaking is not a good thing to see.<<

But it concentrates their mind and get's them moving.......and just might make them think about doing it quickly next time.

What's not to like?

Pat
What's not to like?
>>

Two things off the top of my head; the driver that might see it as bullying and slow down out of spite or strong headedness, I'll over take in my own time thank you very much. Then there's the nervous driver, they see the indicator go on and it puts them in a bit of a panic, who knows what they might do?
Of course there's a lot of other people that might not even register the indicator or those that do but attach not a moments thought to it.

That's not to say there aren't the drivers picking up on it as you suggest, however there might not be that many who react as you suggest.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 16 May 17 at 16:59
>> Two things off the top of my head; the driver that might see it as
>> bullying and slow down out of spite or strong headedness, I'll over take in my
>> own time thank you very much.<<

In that case I would know I'm dealing with an idiot and from that point on expect them to do anything stupid.

Then there's the nervous driver, they see the indicator
>> go on and it puts them in a bit of a panic, who knows what
>> they might do? <<

We're all nervous when we start driving and the only cure for it is experience, not mollycoddling.

>> Of course there's a lot of other people that might not even register the indicator
>> or those that do but attach not a moments thought to it.
>>

That's true, but a glance down into the passenger side when they get alongside the cab usually confirms what it is that has their attention. Again, I can modify my driving to accommodate their inattention, even though I shouldn't have to but at least I know what I'm dealing with.

>> That's not to say there aren't the drivers picking up on it as you suggest,
>> however there might not be that many who react as you suggest.
>>
>>

I can assure you the majority do! It concentrates their mind as well as their right foot:)

Pat
Like i said though there's plenty of gray areas when you suggested 'what's not to like' and as you yourself acknowledged above.
Some never get past the nervous stage, as has been mentioned more than a few times many are 'forced' into driving by their circumstances rather than by choice.

I can  assure you the majority do! It concentrates their mind as well as their right foot:)

Your post suggests otherwise.
>>Your post suggests otherwise<<

I don't think it does Sooty, that's why you see so many lorry drivers do it.

Once that indicator has gone on if they have been 'loitering' how they react gives us a really good insight as to just what we're dealing with, and we can drive accordingly.

Pat
Well perhaps it was the way you wrote it. On one hand it seemed you thought it was positive, however you agreed with me that there are people that it doesn't have the desired reaction on. So I'm not sure which one it is.

For me i always try to get past briskly any vehicle on , say, a dual carriageway however if during that overtake I'm end up travelling at the same speed as them due to circumstances ahead then so be it. If the vehicle (of whatever size) indicated it wouldn't make me speed up or slow down. I continue the overtake when safe to do so.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 16 May 17 at 17:42
>> I continue the overtake when safe to do so. <<

Now, I'm not saying I'm right or you are wrong Sooty but I personally wouldn't do that.

I believe that self preservation has kept me safe over the years on the road and even now, when I'm driving the car, if I find myself in that situation, I drop back until the overtake is clear to do in one swift move.

It may well be that I have some insight as to how the lorry driver on my nearside is feeling but I don't think that is really it.

I just don't like being between a crash barrier and a lorry for longer than I have to.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 16 May 17 at 17:50
>>Now, I'm not saying I'm right or you are wrong Sooty but I personally wouldn't do that.

It would depend on how sure I was that the truck driver knew I was there. I'd get the hell out of the space if I wasn't sure.

Of course, but it's all a matter of circumstances. All depends on how long the pause is etc. By dropping back and back into lane 1 you may well increase the time you're alongside.

I'm aware of that but it's not something that overly scared of. Perceptions of risk are all different though.
 A lorry drivers perspective - Bobby
So to summarise, lorry drivers should be allowed to go flat out at 56mph at all times and have two lanes available at all times as their escape route?

Pat do you have tongue in cheek when you are saying car drivers should increase their speed so that the overtake is done as quickly as possible?
Every driver should have as many escape routes available at all times Bobby, that's just common sense.

I am perfectly serious when I say that any overtake should be done as quickly as possible.

Again, simple common sense.

Both of which I do whether driving a car lorry or pulling a caravan.

Pat
Overtaking is by its nature dangerous. Putting yourself alongside an unpredictable driver who may change lane, accelerate, and to an extent blocks your view of the road. Also putting yourself on the wrong side of the road is best kept to a minimum. A few days ago I was on a fast, free flowing single carriageway A road. I was on the speed limit (60) and the driver catching up on me decided to overtake. Not an obvious problem, no opposing traffic, but a crossroad ahead. Excellent lines of sight and I had seen a car approaching from the right of the crossroad before the overtake started. I braked as the overtaker passed me and I expect from the smoke from his tyres he did not see the other car until it poked it's nose out of the junction as the driver had looked right first and seen a clear road.
 A lorry drivers perspective - Zero
>> Overtaking is by its nature dangerous.

So on the be one hand you claim to average over 60mph, and on the other you won't overtake a 56 mph lorry.....
>> >> Overtaking is by its nature dangerous.
>>
>>
>> So on the be one hand you claim to average over 60mph, and on the
>> other you won't overtake a 56 mph lorry.....
>>

Are you in pain in the a*** mode again? Overtaking is a risk, most people asses the risk (danger) before overtaking. It is similar to assessing bus movement on roundabouts.
 A lorry drivers perspective - Manatee
Bad practice and unsafe to overtake on a major road approaching a junction anyway, unless you can be certain that there is nobody approaching from left or right which is rarely the case.

Some left turners joining a major road just don't look left. At a crossroads, the vehicle ahead may have 'flashed' a right turner to come out. You can find yourself on a head on collision course in either case. Worse still, a vehicle ahead may turn right.

There's a favourite overtaking spot near here approaching the end of a 30 limit.

goo.gl/FW8myF

The NSL signs are right at the junction with a minor road. I have been overtaken there, having "held up" somebody both impatient and incompetent by observing the 30 limit for the preceding mile or so. The hedge prevents an early view of approaching traffic on the minor road, but the hedge and a slight kink in the road on the other side allows emerging drivers to look right and see the road is clear from that side without stopping.

There have been a lot of near misses, and several minor or less minor accidents there as the emerger turns left without stopping or looking left and makes contact with an overtaker. The most notable was when the emerger was a bin lorry, which emerged as the clear winner.

It takes two to make a mistake at the same time, but the law of large numbers means that that happens on average probably about once a year.
 A lorry drivers perspective - FocusRS
I have both an LGV and PCV.
I see good and bad driving by large vehicle drivers.
Even I have had a Royal Mail artic feet from my bumper in lane one of the motorway driving at speed limit, not mimsing and traffic in front. Not good. What if I had to brake?
As car drivers we can post just as many negatives about lorry drivers as much as they could about us.
Most of the problems are just down to poor driving, inexperience, selfishness, arrogance and impatience. And commercial drivers trying to beat time constraints.
No matter how much we moan and grind our teeth it's never going to change. Just don't lower yourselves to the levels these poor drivers operate at.
Be safe out there.
>Just don't lower yourselves to the levels these poor drivers operate at.

Excellent advice. But at times, so difficult to follow. I very rarely retaliate or get difficult, but embarrassingly very rarely is not never.
 A lorry drivers perspective - Dog
=> I have had a Royal Mail artic feet from my bumper in lane one of the motorway driving at speed limit, not mimsing and traffic in front.

Interesting use of the word "mimsing". I thought Lud invented that word many moons ago.
Here's Pugugly using it back in 2009. You are a newbie, FocusRS, but maybe not so-new to this forum :)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79294
 A lorry drivers perspective - Dutchie
I keep out of a lorry drivers way.They are bigger than me and if anything goes wrong I will bite the dust.Self preservation.
I agree, picking a fight with a lorry when you are driving a flimsy tin box indicates a lack of brain cells.
 A lorry drivers perspective - FocusRS
Driving along in lane 1 doing the speed limit with nowhere to go but with the flowcof traffic is not picking a fight. He was driving dangerously in my view. And good job nothing happened in front of me to brake.
Latest Forum Posts