Motoring Discussion > Personalised number plate - buying new car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Personalised number plate - buying new car - Bobby
Whats the latest procedure for dealing with personalised plate when trading in a car with it on it, and wanting to put it on new "second hand" car?

Do you need to put existing car back to normal plate, get new V5 before trading in and then re-apply to put it on new one once you have the new car's V5?

Or is there a more streamlined process nowadays?
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - Ateca chris
When i did mine last year after my car was written off in a non fault i went on line paid £80 and put the plate on retention and was able to put the orginal plate straight on. A few days later the new V5 came in the post which i then sent to insurance company.
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - Manatee
I think you can put it on retention online, while you are at the dealers if you like. You then wait for the certificate and the V5 for your "new" to come though later and transfer the number to your "new" car.

Meanwhile, when you insure the new car (on its existing number) tell the insurer you are going put your cherished number on it. When I did this with LV= they said there would be no additional charge and to let them know when it had the new number on it.

Actually I think you probably don't need the paper retention certificate, just the number which might be generated when you do the online transaction. But you probably do need the V5.

If it's a dealer, ask them - they have probably done it before.
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - No FM2R
I'm not really into personalised number plates, though they certainly don't offend me. On one car I had one of my daughters had bought a plate for me. When I sold that vehicle I put the number on retention, and renewed that retention for a couple of years until I lost interest. At the time I did confirm that the number was retained and I did have the certificate(s)

However, I happen to know that the car I sold is still driving around on that number.

I do keep meaning to look into it, because I do wonder......
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - CGNorwich
Wwww.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-or-retain-a-vehicle-registration-number
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - Bobby
That link looks like you could do them both at same time while effectively standing in the dealers?
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - R.P.
Never had a problem. Oddly both of our "plates" are on retention, and have been for a while..never had any problems when changing cars/bikes...they're all done on the day, if not by the dealers by me or Mrs RP
 Personalised number plate - buying new car - Bromptonaut
Mrs B has a personal plate inherited from her Mother.

When we bought the current Berlingo in 2013 the dealer wouldn't get involved in plate's transfer; to much paperwork/delay. Not a problem for us as there was no trade in, the new car replacing one that went to the scrapper. We transferred it a week or so later in our own time and the older Berlingo we kept reverted to it's original KU05 XXX.

Rules and processes have probably changed since then though with changes on abolition of VED disc and move to 'digital by default'.
Latest Forum Posts