Motoring Discussion > Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 157

Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - rtj70
A good question and I've delayed answering.

For the last 2.7 years I've gone back to a turbo petrol and enjoyed it. The same car with a diesel would do more MPG but it would cost me more each month on average being a company car taxed on CO2 emissions.

Knowing I'd probably miss the torque of a diesel I opted for a DSG. At the time of ordering it was also lower on emissions than the equivalent petrol model.

So I am in the process of selecting the replacement. Diesels never did get the 3% removed for BIK after VW dieselgate. So a petrol can be cheaper for me apart from lower MPG. I am tempted by a 1.4TSI Superb but I get a Passat GTE to try in a few weeks.

I can only assume diesel is starting to be rejected... Audi A4's could not be had until recent weeks with a 1.4TFSI engine in S-Line trim. Now they can. But the emissions are higher than the 2.0TFSI and monthly rental is higher too... only list price is higher. An example of real world MPG for bigger engines being better I guess.

Hard to compare the Passat GTE Estate with few options with a Superb SE L Executive with many more options. GTE is cheaper. But costs narrow in 2018/2019 due to a jump in the BIK rate.

This government has stupid ideas at times. A plugin hybrid that I could run mostly on electric taxed such that I might go for a conventional petrol.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 May 17 at 10:08
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Old Navy
A pal has just had his 120,000 mile Octavia VRS effectively written off by a EGR and DPF failure, the Car is used as a 60 mile round trip commuter car by his wife. Dealer repair cost more than the car is worth, trusted indy only £500 less. Pre registered diesel VRSs are £7K off list locally. The dealer says they get a lot that fail before 100K and his has lasted longer due to fast motorway use. His problem is trading the car in with the orange warning light on and before it goes to red and into limp mode. He has other cars so is in no rush to get a replacement and has done his research, is a car enthusiast, runs a 300bhp car and knows about cars.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 22 May 17 at 07:56
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Hard Cheese
>> >> This government has stupid ideas at times. A plugin hybrid that I could run mostly
>> on electric taxed such that I might go for a conventional petrol.
>>

Surely just closing a loop hole, they don't know that you can/will run it on electric most of the time, the BiK is supposed to be just that, benefit in kind, and you will have the benefit with the Passat; and if you do run it on electric you benefit in lower fuel costs and the exchequer is losing out on duty.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Boxsterboy

>> I am tempted by a 1.4TSI Superb but I get a
>> Passat GTE to try in a few weeks.
>>
>> Hard to compare the Passat GTE Estate with few options with a Superb SE L
>> Executive with many more options. GTE is cheaper. But costs narrow in 2018/2019 due to
>> a jump in the BIK rate.
>>

Passat GTE monthlies have been pricy due to uncertainty on future residuals in a fast-changing electric/plug-in hybrid market. Maybe they have stabilised a little recently?
Well, it seems that rumours of the death of the used diesel market have been exaggerated!

Mrs BB decided on a nearly-new ex-BMW management BMW/ex rent-a-car (take your pick) 220i Gran Tourer with some choice options at what seems like a good price.

Time therefore to sell her car - she has a nicely optioned 2010 S-Max Titanium TDCI with 70,000 on the clock, full service history. BMW dealer offered £6,800 p/ex, increased to £7,250 after haggling. Webuyanycar offered £7,350. So I put an advert in Autotrader last night and their suggested price was £7,450. I thought that I would try for more so put the ad in at £8,500. I wish I hadn't now - the phone hasn't stopped ringing! Sold to the first buyer within 18 hours of the ad going live, and I could have got more. That, for a 7-year old 'toxic' diesel!
 Would you buy a diesel now? - legacylad
Congratulations... the difference in the private sale and the dealer p/ex price pays for a luxury holiday for the two of you!
Wonder if I can sell my '11 plate 142k Focus diesel as easily this September. Won't be worth much despite its lovely condition
I'll see what I can do - there would be commission, mind :-)
 Would you buy a diesel now? - legacylad
Like yourself, I'll chance it on AT.
Bought it last June courtesy of my mechanic friend who had just MOTd it at the large Auto Engineers where he is workshop manager. He fitted a new belt & water pump etc, gave it a full service, I fitted new wipers all round and decent headlight bulbs, and despite 4 almost new ditchfinder tyres, because of where I live ( 800', lots of rain, and I like to press on so need grip & traction) fitted a full set of Michelin Cross Climates.

If it goes to WBAC ill retro fit the ditchfinders and let my brother have the Michelins to put on his Octavia

Thanks for the offer. You are kind as a fish.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - rtj70
>> Passat GTE monthlies have been pricy due to uncertainty on future residuals in a fast-changing ...market.

Oddly the monthly rental for the Passat GTE varies by about £10/month from day to day. I'd pay up for one for sure (but that's pre-tax) and not get many options in my allowance.

I still see it odd that the BIK rates go up and then come back down. I can see if they kept going up but why reduce it again for a low emission vehicle in a few years?
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Dog
Diseasels, who'd 'ave em hey??

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548156/Horrified-father-s-Vauxhall-Astra-speeds-120mph.html
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Old Navy
Obviously a brake and clutch failure at the same time. :-)
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Duncan
>> Obviously a brake and clutch failure at the same time. :-)
>>

I think intelligence failure is the biggest problem.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - VxFan
"The father from Rhyl, Wales, who has had the £20,000 car for 16 months, said he was too scared to hit the brakes in case it sent the back of the vehicle spinning out of control."

Obviously not aware his car has traction control, stability control, and ABS as standard which would prevent this. Also he's not aware the car is no longer worth £20,000. What a numptie.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Ted

Also, most cars still have a key to kill the engine and a stick in the middle to snick into neutral. I had to instruct SWM about all this.

Surely better to learn about a this in a test rather than how to use a Shatnav !
>>most cars still have a key to kill the engine and a stick in the middle to snick into neutral. I had to instruct SWM about all this.

It's easy for us to say that, and of course it's precisely what we would do in a similar situation, but the dude may have just panicked and not had a clue about cars.

I'm just soooooo glad I didn't buy the diseasel Volvo I took the ole woman to see earlier this year, as she drives our car more than I do these days and I just don't trust modern diesel-engined cars with their DPF's.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Zero

>> It's easy for us to say that, and of course it's precisely what we would
>> do in a similar situation, but the dude may have just panicked and not had
>> a clue about cars.

When people panic they hit the brake. Hey that would have worked.

the bloke needs to have his license taken away.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - CGNorwich
Just taking his foot off the accelerator would have done the job.
What caused the engine to go to full power? That requires fuel, either diesel or the engines oil. There is no mention of an oil induced runaway and the engine ECU unlikely to go to full power on its own. It also takes a while to get to 120 mph from normal motorway speeds in an average hatchback so plenty of time to react, something not right about this story.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 29 May 17 at 09:02
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Duncan
>> What caused the engine to go to full power? That requires fuel, either diesel or
>> the engines oil.

If you will forgive me, I think you may be making the mistake of taking this driver and this 'incident' seriously.
Taking a daily tabloid story seriously, I must need more coffee!
>>Taking a daily tabloid story seriously, I must need more coffee!

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2987126/It-good-brain-waistline-bad-bones-kidneys-daily-coffee-really-doing-body.html

:o}
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - smokie
Haha clever response Dog. :-)
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - movilogo
There is a new CarWow video on YouTube on petrol vs diesel topic.

It says until a couple of years back diesel was 51% of all new cars sales in UK where as now it has fallen to 44%.

The final message was that unless you do massive mileage or drive a big SUV, petrol is better bet than diesel.

Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Pat
Yes, we would buy a diesel now. We just have done, collect it next Saturday and it's filed under the want not need category:)

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Clk Sec
Thought you bought a (new) big Volvo recently...
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - mikeyb
>> Yes, we would buy a diesel now. We just have done, collect it next Saturday
>> and it's filed under the want not need category:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Come on Pat, tell us what it is so we can tell you why you made the wrong choice :-)
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - mikeyb
Many cameras on the A55? Elaborate story to avoid a ticket?
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Hard Cheese
>> Many cameras on the A55? Elaborate story to avoid a ticket?
>>

Wrong thread?
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Boxsterboy
Seeing as 99% of large SUVs are diesel powered, I wonder if the current attack on all things diesel might have the affect of dampening demand for these trucks, given that a petrol alternative would be ruinous for many people.

I do hope so - we might be able to park a bit easier in our car parks if people drove smaller cars.
Yes, we've only had the XC60 for 15 months and while we were towing a caravan it was the best choice we could have made and neither of us could fault it.

Since we've now sold the caravan quite frankly, I've found it incredibly boring to drive and it makes me feel about 124 years old. The stereo is quiet, the engine is quiet and lacks the fun factor, the seating position is that of an old crony who can't manage to get in anything else.

Well, I still can (just!), and while I can I still want driving to be fun and comfortable. I want to look forward to getting in a car again and feel the push when I put my foot down.

After much persuasion I managed to get Ian to look at changing it which was quite a challenge as it meant he wouldn't be able to change the GS1400 for a couple of years.

Two miles into the test drive he was sold on the idea and then I had a drive and absolutely loved it:)

It's the Volvo V90 Inscription D4!

Before someone tells me we don't need it, I already know that but we want it, can afford it and don't forget, I'm still working at 71 so that means I still get to enjoy the pleasures in life when I can;)

Only problem...it hasn't got a CD Player and I don't do those I poddy thingy's.

How do I get my AC/DC and Def Leppard CD's on to a memory stick to plug into the car before next Saturday?

Pat

Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Robin O'Reliant
>> Only problem...it hasn't got a CD Player and I don't do those I poddy thingy's.

Neither has mine. It's got a cassette player :-(
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 May 17 at 01:53
>> It's the Volvo V90 Inscription D4!

Right, looks like iI will have to get the BMW 540i Touring X drive then.

Got a test drive booked tomorrow.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 May 17 at 21:14
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - legacylad
That 540i Touring xDrive looks to be the pups privates
First availability June 2017 I thought, but obviously wrong.
I bet you can't get much discount off the dealers for one....
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 29 May 17 at 21:33
>> That 540i Touring xDrive looks to be the pups privates
>> First availability June 2017 I thought, but obviously wrong.
>> I bet you can't get much discount off the dealers for one....

about 5 grand off
>> >> It's the Volvo V90 Inscription D4!
>>
>> Right, looks like iI will have to get the BMW 540i Touring X drive then.
>>

A silly waving contest with Pat, novel idea.
Its a joke you cranky miserable old git.

I know driving a honda destroys your sense of humour.
>> Its a joke you cranky miserable old git.
>>

Did you see who missed the joke when you had a shave this morning?
I'm retired, I dont shave on a Tuesday.

>> Well, I still can (just!), and while I can I still want driving to be
>> fun and comfortable. I want to look forward to getting in a car again and
>> feel the push when I put my foot down
>>
>> It's the Volvo V90 Inscription D4!
>>

Can a large Volvo estate with a 2.0 diesel engine really be fun to drive and give a real kick in the back, hmm ...

>> Can a large Volvo estate with a 2.0 diesel engine really be fun to drive
>> and give a real kick in the back, hmm ...

No its not and no it can't. But its a helluva good looker, and the inside is just simply gorgeous.

>> No its not and no it can't. But its a helluva good looker, and the
>> inside is just simply gorgeous.
>>

A 5-Series is better looking inside and out, though a 540i X-Drive Touring would be IRO £50k.
You could use your state pension to lease one, effectively a free motor.
>>
>> >> No its not and no it can't. But its a helluva good looker, and
>> the
>> >> inside is just simply gorgeous.
>> >>
>>
>> A 5-Series is better looking inside and out, though a 540i X-Drive Touring would be
>> IRO £50k.

Its not, Its not and it is.

Funnily enough the Volvo V90 T6 X-Country pro is also 50k
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 May 17 at 22:30

>>
>> Its not, Its not and it is.
>>
>> Funnily enough the Volvo V90 T6 X-Country pro is also 50k
>>

Thete's no accounting for taste.

I know where my money would go and wouldn't be Sverige ...
You stink, what do you expect,
>> You stink, what do you expect,
>>

Eh Mustafa Bignose, we're around 110 miles apart.

The 530i wolud be worth a look, 252 bhp 4cyl, refined and frugal.

>> The 530i wolud be worth a look, 252 bhp 4cyl, refined and frugal.

No X drive available in that power train. Means I would need to buy winter tyres to make me feel safe
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - PeterS
340bhp, refined and frugal sounds better. Particularly as it's a straight 6 :) Though winter tyres are less than the £2k premium for x-drive :p A moot point on the 540 mind, as its not available without I don't think? Be interested in your thoughts on it once you've driven one; a 3 with x-drive doesn't feel quite like a BMW to drive, if that makes sense?
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - DP
>> ? Be interested in your thoughts
>> on it once you've driven one; a 3 with x-drive doesn't feel quite like a
>> BMW to drive, if that makes sense?

I've driven two X-Drive 3-Series: - a 328i and a 335d Touring, and I agree. In the 328i it was OK, although I noticed a considerable impact on turning circle compared to the RWD model. In the 335d with a considerably heavier and more powerful engine up front, I found it introduced slight understeer and a sense of the car wanting to run wide out of tight corners and mini-roundabouts that I really didn't like very much. Although the 335d as a package is absolutely fantastic (and I very nearly bought one)

If you take the very odd day of snow we see every couple of years out of the equation, I see no reason when buying a BMW to tick the X-Drive box. The 2WD models are beautifully balanced, have lots of mechanical grip, and the systems really are excellent if you do make a mess of things.

I can't see any reasonably competent driver struggling with a RWD BMW in anything other than lying snow.
>> Although the 335d as a package is absolutely fantastic (and I very nearly
>> bought one)

Agreed, I seriously considered a 330d Touring, so not X-Drive, virtually as quick and a lot more economical.

>> If you take the very odd day of snow we see every couple of years out of the equation, I see no reason when buying a BMW to tick the X-Drive box. The 2WD models are beautifully balanced, have lots of mechanical grip, and the systems really are excellent if you do make a mess of things. >>
>>
>> I can't see any reasonably competent driver struggling with a RWD BMW in anything other than lying snow.
>>

Agreed and with regard to ice and snow a 2wd on proper winter tyres is better than a 4wd in summer tyres.

Though to be fair an X-Drive etc can help avoid getting stuck in muddy fields whatever time of year so perhaps makes sense for land owners, horsey types etc.

>> Agreed, I seriously considered a 330d Touring, so not X-Drive, virtually as quick and a
>> lot more economical.
>>

I considered the same thing, although at the time, BMW were doing a massive contribution on the 335d and it actually worked out slightly cheaper than the 330d.

I agree the 330d is probably the better car, but the 335d is a seriously impressive bit of kit. It redefined what I thought was possible from a diesel engine. Not just the speed, but the noise, and the response.

>> the 335d and it actually worked out slightly cheaper than the 330d.
>>

On PCP I guess.

>> It redefined what I thought was possible from a diesel engine. Not just the speed, but the noise,
>>

Some of which is probably ASD, I am going to do a thread on that when I have time.
>> >> the 335d and it actually worked out slightly cheaper than the 330d.
>> >>
>>
>> On PCP I guess.

Yes. BMW discounts are complicated. Sometimes BMW Financial Services chip in, sometimes BMW GB do, sometimes both. And the available discounts change from month to month as a result.

Where a PCP was a prerequisite for a given deal, I have known people take the PCP and then settle it a month later. There is nothing to stop you doing this, and the dealer doesn't care either. Personally, a PCP suits my needs perfectly at the moment (replacing a company car) so I didn't explore other options.

>>
>> >> It redefined what I thought was possible from a diesel engine. Not just the
>> speed, but the noise,
>> >>
>>
>> Some of which is probably ASD, I am going to do a thread on that
>> when I have time.

Yes. A feature on almost all performance oriented BMWs (including M cars) for the past 5 years or so. Once mine is out of warranty, I might code it out just to see how much difference it really makes.

>>
>> Yes. A feature on almost all performance oriented BMWs (including M cars) for the past
>> 5 years or so. Once mine is out of warranty, I might code it out
>> just to see how much difference it really makes.
>>

That's the drift of my plans for another thread though suffice to say that it's interesting to explore the options.

BTW its also a feature on Mini's, the Focus ST/RS and various VAG products amongst others.
>> 340bhp, refined and frugal

Tick, Tick and BUZZZZZZZZ nope. 23mpg according to the trip computer
>> >> 340bhp, refined and frugal
>>
>> Tick, Tick and BUZZZZZZZZ nope. 23mpg according to the trip computer
>>

What do you expect pottering around Woodham, New Haw and West Byfleet, road humps every 100 yds.

I did a 240 mile round trip yesterday, the trip was showing 24mpg after the first ten miles (small country lanes) though averaged 35mpg for the day, 30% A roads, 305 dual C, 30% m-way.

Try a 530d, the G30/31 530d is supposed to be cracking, OK it's a diesel though it's Euro 6 IIRC and should average 45 to 50 mpg with easy, perhaps more in 2wd form.
>>
>> >> The 530i wolud be worth a look, 252 bhp 4cyl, refined and frugal.
>>
>> No X drive available in that power train. Means I would need to buy winter
>> tyres to make me feel safe
>>

Tho in winter 2wd with winter tyres is better than 4wd with summer tyres.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - RichardW
>>How do I get my AC/DC and Def Leppard CD's on to a memory stick to plug into the car before next Saturday?

Have you got a CD player in your computer, and Windows 7 or later? If so, it's relatively easy as I recall - stick the disc in, find it in explorer, right click on it, and select 'Rip'. When it's done, just drag and drop it onto a stick.
Thanks Richard, I'll have a go at that today.

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - sooty123
Nice choice of motor, the V90 looks good. Not had a nosey around one yet. Read a few reviews about them, the thing that was common in them all was they all seem to rave about the interior, what did you think to the interior?
It's far more intuitive Sooty and the electric parking brake button has been moved to the centre console from on the right hand lower side of the dashboard where it's hard to see. It also now pulls for on and pushes for off. We could never understand the XC60 doing it the other way round.

For me, the fact that the steering column moves in and out as well as up an down is a plus point. If you have short legs in the XC 60 and need the seat forward the steering column is far too close for my liking.

Seats are really comfy and I love the I pad type dashboard with voice control.

The ride is good and we road tested the sporty model so ours should be better as it has sensible seats!

The turning circle is amazing considering the overall size.

Pat
We had a phone call from the dealer yesterday to say he had a small problem.

When the car we'd ordered arrived from their Ipswich branch he realised it hadn't got the wooden interior but the tacky shiny one we'd said we didn't like. He assumed we didn't want that one? He assumed correctly!

But he had a suggestion...he had one he could get here for tomorrow but it was in Magic Blue instead of silvery grey. It also had the Winter Plus pack fitted as we had originally ordered, but it had the Xenium pack as well.

This consists of:
Xenium Pack £1,75 0 .0 0

Parking Camera 360* Surround View, Park Assist Pilot - Automatic Parallel and 90' Parking (inc Front and Rear ParkAssist)
Power Glass Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof
BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert and Rear Collision Mitigation
Autodimming Exterior Mirrors

We said we needed to think about it and we wasn't very impressed, but how much extra was it going to cost us?

Nothing, he said, it was our mistake!

We then spent a suitable 15 minutes pretending to 'think about it' before agreeing:)

The downside is I've got a car which will parallel park for me so I'll never learn how to do it in a rigid vehicle now!

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - zippy
Just keep an eye out for the self parking system Pat......

time.com/money/3896931/volvo-self-parking-accident/

Thanks Zippy.

I can't imagine actually using it but who knows? It may actually prove to be useful yet!

Pat
I'm sure and hope you will have loads of fun with the new motor Pat.

(On reading further, the car in the article didn't have pedestrian avoidance fitted!)

I actually like the idea of self parking cars as I have a sight deficiency in that I can't see 3D properly and cannot tell where the ends of the car are in comparison to nearby objects. Parking sensors are a godsend to me.

I'm allowed to drive with glasses but have to be extra careful in car parks.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 2 Jun 17 at 13:29
>> Front and Rear ParkAssist >>

If that's sensors then well worthwhile, rear anyway (surprised not std)

>> Power Glass Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof>>

Great! Lets light in all year round even if you never open it.

>> Autodimming Exterior Mirrors >>

Brilliant on the BMW. The interior is also auto dimming of course.

What engine is it? 2.0d I know though is it Volvo's 5cyl?
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 2 Jun 17 at 13:28
No it's the 4 cylinder twin turbo charges engine HC.

We wanted the sunroof but it only comes with the Xenium pack and decided we couldn't really justify affording it!

That was the longest 'token' 15 minutes I've ever known;)

Pat
>> No it's the 4 cylinder twin turbo charges engine HC.
>>
>> We wanted the sunroof but it only comes with the Xenium pack and decided we
>> couldn't really justify affording it!
>>
>> That was the longest 'token' 15 minutes I've ever known;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Sounds like you got a great deal Pat!

Much better than the local Vauxhall dealership when in 2005 ordered the wrong colour car for my Mrs (specifically the colour she hated) and said take it or leave it with no allowance (paying for a colour we didn't want). So we left it and went on to get a much better VW Touran which was delivered with a multichanger CD unit at no extra cost!

Understand about the cost of some extras, they do seem exorbitant, like the £800 for front corner "drive way" cameras that probably don't cost more than £50 to buy and another £100 to fit.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 2 Jun 17 at 14:11
I agree Zippy about the cost of extras. I really wanted a CD player but I think I'll be fine with the memory stick thingy, but I haven't had time to sort it out this week yet.

I'm working all day Sunday so it will be next week now.

We think he has a buyer for our XC60 because we wre quite happy to wait until mid July after our holiday in Cornwall and my trip to Ieper but he seemed to want to try and find a stock one and get it done this weekend, so I think that helped a bit.

All I have to do is to teach the voice recognition some true lorry driver language now!

Pat
>>All I have to do is to teach the voice recognition some true lorry driver language now!

To think, if Morris were still making cars, we could have accused Pat of corrupting Minors!

:-)

I'm a radio person (usually R2, R4 or R5 or whatever its called on Dab) so can't help with the memory stick thing but am sure the tech bods here will be all knowledgeable!
Pat, do you have any of your CDs ripped onto the computer or would you need to do that first.

Personally, even though I don't use an iPod and don't have an iPhone, I still use iTunes to manage my music. Everything gets ripped into there and it obviously arranges albums under artists, grabs track details from Gracenote etc. Then I just copy the music folders to an SD card for the car (or I could use USB but there's two SD Card slots in the glovebox with the CD player).
No, I don't.

I like music loud to enjoy it and it means I'm limited to when I can listen to it with the hours we keep, to not wake the neighbours!

In the car when I'm driving alone is when I love it but at most it is just a couple of AC/DC, a Def Leppard and a Bob Segar CD's I want available.

Planet Rock in the day, in the week is useless.

Pat
If it's only a few albums it won't take long at all to copy/rip them to your PC and then once that's done to copy the files/folder to the memory stick.

Make sure whatever music library you use (E.g. iTunes) is doing it at a high bit rate and that the bit rate and file format is suitable for the Volvo. The default for iTunes is MP4/M4A file format and the car might only deal with MP3. MP4 is better (more efficient and using space and better quality).
>>
>> The default for iTunes is MP4/M4A file format and the car might only deal with
>> MP3. MP4 is better (more efficient and using space and better quality).
>>

If using ITunes then ripping to AAC files at 256 kbps gives a high quality file without taking up too much space and ideal if you use an iPod. You should be able to control an iPod via the car's GUI. Though if you use a USB stick you will have check file compatibilty with the Volvo system.

>> Make sure whatever music library you use (E.g. iTunes) is doing it at a high
>> bit rate and that the bit rate and file format is suitable for the Volvo.
>> The default for iTunes is MP4/M4A file format and the car might only deal with
>> MP3. MP4 is better (more efficient and using space and better quality).

The V90 supports
MP3 .mp3 MPEG1 Layer III,
MPEG2 Layer III,
MP3 Pro (mp3
compatible),
MP3 HD (mp3
compatible)
AAC .m4a, .m4b, .aac AAC LC (MPEG-4
part III Audio),
HE-AAC (aacPlus
v1/v2)
WMA .wma WMA8/9,
WMA9/10 Pro
WAV .wav LPCM
FLAC .flac FLAC
>> The V90 supports

Rip to AAC at a decent bit rate then, you should get the best out of it's audio system.
Pat,

Just had a look at the Volvo website.

Very nice indeed!

(I would want the parking thingamajig on a car that big!)

Looks good in blue too!
I have tested the self parking thingy, its too scary for me.
I suspect it will be too scary for me too!

Rip to AAC?

Rip?

That's a job for Monday afternoon after all the work related jobs are finished. I haven't a clue what happens when I put a music CD in the desktop yet!

After we've collected the car at Cambridge I have to go to work for a couple of hours on the way home so that just leaves this afternoon for finding my way around it.

My task is to find Ian a big enough 'to do' list of jobs for all day tomorrow while I'm at work so he doesn't get ahead of me in the 'what does this menu selection do' department!

I do hate being shown how to do things like that and find I grasp it a lot better by trying it out for myself.

This morning we're both excited about getting it today. With the XC60 we didn't feel that, it was a workhorse bought to pull the caravan and did that job excellently.

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - VxFan
>> It also takes a while to get to 120 mph from normal motorway speeds in an average hatchback

I have the same 165 bhp 2.0 diesel lump in my Astra. Believe me, it doesn't take that long to wind it up to 120 mph (on private roads of course officer).
I think Z must have done his test drive in Grandad mode with the salesman sitting in the back VX:)

We were handed the keys and told to go and enjoy ourselves for a couple of hours...we did:)

It makes us both feel like we did every time we drove the V70 and we've missed that with the XC60.

Pat
>> Pat

Pat, its a nice car for sure, and one high on my list* But its a barge. The V70 was a barge. My XC70 is a barge.

* but that boot,. the boot on the V90 is ridiculous for such a large car.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 May 17 at 10:27
> * but that boot,. the boot on the V90 is ridiculous for such a large
>> car.
>>

Alot smaller than you thought?
The boot floor is actually quite long, and nicely wide. But the exaggerated rake of the rear window cuts down the length in half at the top. If I adjust my dog cage to fit within, the dog does no fit within the cage.

The workaround is the bespoke Volvo dog solution, at 750 quid. But that doesn't protect the dog in the event of an accident and it doesn't keep dog hairs out of the rest of the car.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 May 17 at 09:09
You could easily get thrown in the deal free at the moment.

We got Gap insurance, caravan club 10% discount, free shiny paint work coating thingy and something else he tried to sell but when we said no he threw it in anyway!

Z, if a Volvo is in your eventual list have a look at the Caravan club discount....well worth the £40 approx. membership fee for a year!

Pat
>> Z, if a Volvo is in your eventual list have a look at the Caravan
>> club discount....well worth the £40 approx. membership fee for a year!
>>
>> Pat

The list is two. It should be 6. In reality I should be toddling down to the Skoda dealer and buying a Superb Estate. But, its a Skoda, and it has DSG. I should be looking at the Audi A6 all road, but the new one is 12 months away, and its DSG. My heart says I want the new Jaguar XF Sportbrake, but thats not here till the Autumn. The E class has been tried, tested and rejected.

So its two. 5 touring, or V90

Wallet says I can get a nearly brand new old 5 series touring at silly low prices. But its the old one.

Wallet says "If you really want the Barge, get a ex demo V90 D5 powerpulse (has std 4 wheel drive) thats fully loaded with the toys.

Brain says, "No get the T6 Petrol"

And I would fully expect the dealer to add the bespoke dog solution for nothing. If he wont, another in the next town will.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 May 17 at 09:24
We ruled out the Superb for exactly the same reasons.

We looked at the ex demo V90's as well but didn't expect them to have as much mileage on as some of them have.

Final decision for us (should be for you too) was providing you can afford it go with what you want. Life is too short and you never know what's around the corner so enjoy it while you can.

Pat
>> Final decision for us (should be for you too) was providing you can afford it
>> go with what you want. Life is too short and you never know what's around
>> the corner so enjoy it while you can.
>>

That's a good philosophy, I am just not sure that "enjoy" and "large diesel Volvo estate" are mutually inclusive.
Whatever floats your boat is right for you HC, and it's a good job we're not all looking for the same thing.

Pat
>> Whatever floats your boat is right for you HC, and it's a good job we're
>> not all looking for the same thing.
>>

Agreed Pat, and I was being a little tongue in cheek.
The Skoda Superb in hatchback and estate variants is a better looking car than the VW Passat. In my opinion at least, it would sell more if it was in fact badged a VW. I might well order a Superb hatch in a few weeks but that's different. It will not be my car. I am not sure I'd want to risk a DSG although this one I have has been fine.

If I was buying second hand I'd already thought of what I'd want. I'd prefer a diesel so it would have had to be a TC and therefore a Mercedes, something with a ZF like a Jag/BMW or a larger diesel Audi which has a TC instead of DSG.

But I am currently planning on sticking with a company car - more fool me? :-) And although for this tax year the Passat GTE was looking like the default choice on running cost, next year the advantage is not so great. The real saving would be running on electric a lot of the time - but our drive/garage is on the side of the house so charging will be a pain.

I hope Pat and Ian enjoy the V90 - got to be nicer than the XC60 which I'm sure was nice enough.

If it was my choice and had the cash I think it would be a well specified BMW 5 Series and I'd wait for a test drive.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Bobby
Rob, what's the deadline date for you ordering your new company car?
I don't get a replacement car until October. But obviously need to order in time. Especially if factory build etc.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Paul Robinson
Out of interest Zero - what sort of vehicles do the rest of the Dog Show crowd use?
>> Out of interest Zero - what sort of vehicles do the rest of the Dog
>> Show crowd use?
>>

Someone turns up in a 60 foot winibago and someone else turns up in an MX5 with their long haired saluki posing in the passenger seat.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Runfer D'Hills
>>The E class has been tried, tested and rejected...

Yeah, they're not for everyone, bit specialist really. Proper connoisseurs cars y'see, not for the masses...

Probably best you stick with something a bit more, y'know, ordinary...

;-)))
>> >>The E class has been tried, tested and rejected...
>>
>> Yeah, they're not for everyone, bit specialist really.

Specialist, what like airport taxi runs?

;-)
That, and to double up as a sort of posh van.

;-)
It does seem many estates are the same, heavily raked that means alot of potential space is lost. I think superb estates are the same, quite raked, when I was looking at them i was surprised how little the difference between the octavia and it. It was less than 5% bigger iirc.
>>But its a barge<<

But it's a very lovely barge!

I agree the boot is small for that size of car and the way it narrows at the top would restrict it for you too.

Can you not teach Fifi Mk2 to lie down in her crate;)

Pat
>> It makes us both feel like we did every time we drove the V70 and
>> we've missed that with the XC60.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Pat, if you want a car that is good to drive perhaps widen your horizons a little, you might come back to a Volvo though at least you will have something to measure them against. I am not trying to patronise and you may have already had many test drives though I suspect that the V90 is a barge as Zero says and you might find something like a 520d Touring to be a revelation.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 May 17 at 10:28
We've been looking for a few weeks now and eliminated quite a few.

Eventually it came down to the Mercedes C class Estate or the V90, but the V90 gave the feel good factor we've missed so much.

The dealership/customer relationship is good and Volvo always win for us on safety factors.

We discounted the BMW because of price to get the specs we needed.

You forget HC, we're both used to driving lorries....we wanted a barge so we feel at home in it.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 30 May 17 at 09:16
Quite telling that another couple of "proper" drivers have tried living with a sitty uppy car and not really got on with it.

Mummy trucks.

;-)
Well that went well. Despite three emails and three phone calls, one yesterday from me to confirm the date & time, arrival at the BMW dealer reveals the wagon still on the top floor of the showroom, obviously not coming down anytime today, probably any time in the next 5 months.

Much apologies from the staff, ironically delivered under the banner on the wall "Satisfied customers are not our aim, delighted customer are"

I have been offered a 24 hour loan of a 430 saloon so waiting to confirm that.

Princess Zero likes the 5 series

But more to the point, the Boot in the 5 Touring (after pouring over the sky locked showroom model) is not significantly larger in useable dog cage shape than the V90.

DILEMA DILEMA

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 May 17 at 13:02
Get a car with a proper boot. Now, what could that be? Let's see...

Oh I know...

E class !

;-)
If my name was Uncle Fester and I wanted to slide into a coffin* to drive, the E class would be on my drive

*For its size the E class is ridiculously cramped and claustrophobic in the front.
Suppose that depends quite a lot on how much space you occupy...

;-)
>> I have been offered a 24 hour loan of a 430 saloon so waiting to
>> confirm that.
>>

Do you mean 530 saloon?

We have a dog, he's great, in fact he's brilliant, and he's obedient, though he gets muddy and sheds hair, would I buy a brand new £50k car to put him in, NO!!!!

Why not get a 5 year old Mondeo Titanium X estate will all the bells and whistles and room for two 540s, yet alone Fifi (what breed is Fifi) and spend the rest on something lighter, faster and more enjoyable ...

(Fifi makes me think of some kind of wireless protocol these days, rather than a French temptress or whatever ...)

>> Do you mean 530 saloon?

I meant a 540!

>>gets muddy and sheds hair, would I buy a brand new £50k car to put
>> him in, NO!!!!

Which is why I have a dog cage, before that I had a dog bag. FiFi Mk2 is the muddiest dog you have ever come across.

>> and whistles and room for two 540s, yet alone Fifi (what breed is Fifi) and
>> spend the rest on something lighter, faster and more enjoyable ...

FiFi Mk1 died, FiFi Mk2 is a smallish Golden Retriever bitch.

>> You forget HC, we're both used to driving lorries....we wanted a barge so we feel
>> at home in it.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Have you mastered reversing without a caravan yet? :-)
Errrr...............................No!

Ian was about to suggest adding the Parking Pilot but I gave him one of those looks that shut him up fast:)

I shall enjoy driving it that much that I'm quite happy driving round looking for a parking space I can drive through.

In fact my first trip without Ian where I'm doing all the driving will be on Eurotunnel in July and down to Ieper. Parking in the Market Square where the hotel is, could be a problem.

On Saturday I tried the voice control and told it to 'Turn the wipers on'....and it did.

'Turn on Planet Rock'....and it did.

I'll be the one standing in front of Cloth Hall yelling at the car 'Park it, you idiot':)

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - devonite
>>I'll be the one standing in front - yelling 'Park it, you idiot':)

Are you my missus?!!! ;-)
It repeats after you what you say so I have to teach it bo*****s now........sorry Mods:)

Pat
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Crankcase
Hang on - you press a button to wake up the speech recognition, then you say "turn the wipers on", then it repeats that back, then it turns the wipers on? Is that right?

I used that as an example. *tut*

It could be 'dial home' or 'change to USB track 59' both of which are handy in this day and age of not being allowed to do anything else while driving without risk of prosecution!

In the case of an accident if your phone records show you have just dialled a number you will be held responsible, so this can also prove you didn't dial it manually.

The Police even checked Ian's phone records when his lorry was blown over, presumably it may have invalidated the insurance had he have been using the phone at the time?

Pat

Last edited by: Pat on Tue 30 May 17 at 15:35
It was a genuine question about the wipers, not the phone or anything else, Pat. Do/can they actually work like that?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 30 May 17 at 15:40
Yes, they do but obviously you would just turn them on yourself.

I said 'Turn on the wipers' and it replies 'Turning wipers on' and off they go:)

For other stuff more complicated though it is very handy when you've tried to negotiated the complicated centre console info pad type miniscule buttons on the XC60 while driving.

Pat
I love useless voice controlled things like that, so I'm pleased such a thing has made it into the Volvo. Mine does the phone stuff and navigation stuff. It probably does the audio stuff but who has music/radio on in the car? Not me.

I had a Toyota once where you similarly said things like "I'm cold" and it would boost the heat, or "I'm hungry" and the satnav popped up with nearby restaurants to choose from. It even understood "I want a curry" and it would reduce the list accordingly. Etc.

I have voice controlled sat naff in my CRV. When I was trying to get my Pointer into the back of it and said dog in, the sat naff directed me to a certain layby between Liskeard and Lostwithiel.

:o}
>> I have voice controlled sat naff in my CRV. When I was trying to get
>> my Pointer into the back of it and said dog in, the sat naff directed
>> me to a certain layby between Liskeard and Lostwithiel.
>>
>> :o}
>>

Very good Dog! I know it well, er Liskeard that is, not the layby ...

Actually used to stay in a B&B type place between Liskeard and Lostwheel when in Liskeard on business. Quite a big place t'was with various buildings each with a few rooms.
>>Very good Dog! I know it well, er Liskeard that is, not the layby ...

Yep, I am a very good Dog :)

Nearly bought a place in Lostwithiel a few years back, Scrations Lane, an olde Victorian bungalow.
Very nice it was, but the owner, Marion (Welsh!) faffed about BIG time so I found another place within dog-walking distance of the Eden Pro.

First orf, I offered the 'fool' asking price of £300k, she said someone else has offered more, could I match their price. My place in Gorran Haven was sold so, a bird in the hand ...

Then she wanted to stay put over xmas before going to live in France. I said OK to that, then she wanted to see in the new year as well :o

We agreed to purchase her dining room table and chairs + a few uvver things for £600, then she said her friend told her they were worth more than that and could I give her some more spondulics.

Finally, she wanted to install Sky in the gaff before she left the UK so she could take the card + dish with her.

I'd had enuff by then of course so pulled out of the purchase when I'd found a better place with a half acre of lawn. She was most upset about it in the end, and would have gladly let me have the table and chairs etc. buckshee as her husband was ill and became even more ill during all the faff.

Shame really because she was quite a likeable woman but, as they say, That's life!
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Manatee
(Car adopts patronising tone)
"Did you want to call Chuffing Nora? I'm sorry. Chuffing Nora is not in your phone book."
Never thought I would see the day that Pat and Zero were going to be meeting up in country lanes to compare their Volvos............

Hope its a lane they meet at and not crossroads...........
I think it's an age thing Bobby, they get to this point in life when Volvos seem sexy. Quite charming really. No harm in it. They start wearing beige too. And fleeces...

;-)
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - No FM2R
I like Volvos. I like fleeces. Beige is ok.

Should I just shoot myself now?

No, it's fine, you live far enough away for it not to matter.
>> I like Volvos. I like fleeces. Beige is ok.
>>

Phew, I like fleeces though not beige and Volvos (tho nothing to much against the latter)
Yeah, but you do live in Somerset and it doesn't matter there either...

;-)
>> Never thought I would see the day that Pat and Zero were going to be
>> meeting up in country lanes to compare their Volvos............
>>
>> Hope its a lane they meet at and not crossroads...........

With anti collision avoidance radar, cross traffic warning on both sides, hopefully we wont meet explosively.
>> With anti collision avoidance radar, cross traffic warning on both sides
>>

Will that help with busses? ;-)
Should do.
I now have a 24 hour loan of a BMW 540i saloon booked for Monday.
Serious question
Do BMW put a limit on the number of miles you can drive whilst on loan?
>> Serious question
>> Do BMW put a limit on the number of miles you can drive whilst on
>> loan?

I'll let you know. I doubt it, they come from BMW central demo fleet.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 May 17 at 19:52
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - PeterS
Their management cars are not supposed to do more than 9k miles I don't think, so try and keep it below that ;)
>> Their management cars are not supposed to do more than 9k miles I don't think,
>> so try and keep it below that ;)

I know the 540 is quick, but I'll try and keep it below 375 miles an hour.
>> I now have a 24 hour loan of a BMW 540i saloon booked for Monday.

Fantastic engine. You will love it.

>> With anti collision avoidance radar, cross traffic warning on both sides, hopefully we wont meet
>> explosively.

The one little safety toy mine doesn't have I kind of wished it had is the sideways looking front cameras. The view from both appears split on the satnav screen as you nose out of a tight space or driveway, so you can see in both directions before your eyes get there, if you see what I mean.

It's "only" about £800 extra as a dealer fit, probably cheaper from factory.
My Civic has a reversing camera and I am impressed with the wide view it gives you.
Outside one of my shops the parking is angled to the pavement and you can reverse back and see a good distance along the road before you turn onto it.
>>Never thought I would see the day that Pat and Zero were going to be meeting up in country lanes to compare their Volvos............

Erm, you did say volvos didn't you?
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - Focal Point
Oooh-er, missus!
Thelma and Louise ride again?:)

Pat
I currently have on my drive a G30 540i xDrive M Sport Saloon B58 3.0i with M sport plus package, Technology Package and Visibility Package.

Hucking Fell!!!!!!!!
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - henry k
Are you spoiling your dog ?
I am venturing in your direction this afternoon so I will be extra alert :-)
Its a saloon, the dog is sulking because a: she is not going out and b: she can see a new love in my life.
 Would you buy a diesel now? - Vol 2 - devonite
You can always fit a towbar an pull fido in a trailer!
>> I currently have on my drive a G30 540i xDrive M Sport Saloon B58 3.0i
>> with M sport plus package, Technology Package and Visibility Package.
>>

Does it have the full digital dash? Looks Ok from behind the wheel though look quite strange from the passenger seat, looks like it's trying to replicate an analogue dash - which of course it is.

Also does it have the blue M-Sport brake callipers? The rear ones on the new 5 look like standard callipers that have been painted, a bit cheap compared to those on the M135i et al.

Though if I were after a large estate and had £50k to blow I would look no further, or I might look at an Alpina B3s with a 440bhp version of the N55 engine.

>> Does it have the full digital dash? Looks Ok from behind the wheel though look
>> quite strange from the passenger seat, looks like it's trying to replicate an analogue dash
>> - which of course it is.

Yes, three sorts of dash, depending on if you have the car in comfort, sport or Eco.

>> Also does it have the blue M-Sport brake callipers? The rear ones on the new
>> 5 look like standard callipers that have been painted, a bit cheap compared to those
>> on the M135i et al.

Real blue M sport callipers, grabbing disks the size of dustbin lids. Its riding on 20 inch wheels with very low profile tyres. Considering the profile and the fact its run flats the ride is good.

>>
>> Real blue M sport callipers, grabbing disks the size of dustbin lids. Its riding on
>> 20 inch wheels with very low profile tyres. >>

The M135i et al rears look like this (the fronts are similar though bigger with four pistons)
i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/W84AAOSwax5YrVxE/s-l225.jpg

The new 5 M-Sport rear callipers look like these F10 M5 callipers (the fronts are more like the above).
f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975485

Thought they might update them for the G30 though not according to the 530d M-Sport Touring I saw in local dealer the other day.

>> Considering the profile and the fact its run flats the ride is good. >>
>>

Does it have adaptive suspension? Default is comfort in comfort mode and sport in sport mode though fiddling with transmission and chassis options in iDrive is interesting. Prob worth ensuring set to default so you def experience all aspects.

The trouble with test driving that thing is that anything less will now seem a bit, well, less, I suppose.

Mind the busses.

;-)
Only until an M5 Touring becomes available.....

Enjoy your time with the 540 Z
>> Only until an M5 Touring becomes available.....
>>
>> Enjoy your time with the 540 Z

The 540Z, now that has a ring about it.
>> The 540Z, now that has a ring about it.

A Datsun-ish one perhaps?
I had a 240Z once upon a time, long long ago.
>> The trouble with test driving that thing is that anything less will now seem a
>> bit, well, less, I suppose.

Point is, its not that far away from the likely combination. The 540i SE touring has the same drive interior and drive train.
Personally, having studied specs on a 3 series Touring when looking to replace the 330, I preferred the SE to the M Sport. Last thing I need are wide wheels & rubber band tyres.
 Diesel sales down in May - smokie
So on the original topic, 20% fewer diesels sold in May according to this BBC article.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40157721

"Diesel accounted for 81,489 sales, 20% fewer than a year earlier. Alternatively fuelled vehicles went up 46.7% to 8,258."
 Diesel sales down in May - mikeyb
I imagine its been driven by BIK changes favoring PHEV's, although maybe a few private buyers have been put off.
Latest Forum Posts