Motoring Discussion > Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 25

Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - hawkeye
We don't need the space of my 14-year-old Citroen C8 any more. I'm budgeting about 21K to get new wheels. I value comfort above performance and the car needs to weigh more than 1500 kg to tow the caravan. So far we've looked at a Mercedes C-Class and (at Mrs H's instigation) a Jaguar XF. The new car will probably do 10-12K miles per year.
Irritatingly, one of the salesmen was banging on about folding door mirrors, dual zone climate, auto wipers, auto lights as if they were new features instead of things I've already got on the C8.
I thought I'd bought my last diesel, but the Jag salesman was horrified that I might be looking for a petrol car. I really liked both cars but I banged my head getting out of the Jag, something I don't remember doing before, on any car.
This looks to be my first non-Citroen purchase since 1978, barring the horrible Volvo 760, an aberration for which I blame Mrs. H.
Should I keep the C8 until the diesel scrappage scheme hands me a ridiculous amount of money to get rid?

Comments, jibes, insults and suggestions welcome.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Bromptonaut
Of the C8 does what you need and keeps running why change it?

Is 1500kg allowing for 80% rule are are you brave enough to go for 100%?
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Hard Cheese
I would probably stick with diesel for towing and you'll get a nice BMW 320d X-Drive Touring for £21K. 1800kg braked limit.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 29 May 17 at 11:12
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Clk Sec
I think that I would worried about potential DPF problems if I was only going to cover 10,000 - 12,000 miles annually.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Manatee
>> I think that I would worried about potential DPF problems if I was only going
>> to cover 10,000 - 12,000 miles annually.

Frequent short journeys are the potential problem, not annual mileage. I've been doing c 8,000 a year for nearly five years with a DPF and no problems. On an Outlander. I don't know about BMWs.

Are you looking for a TC auto, Hawkeye?
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - VxFan
>> I think that I would worried about potential DPF problems if I was only going to cover 10,000 - 12,000 miles annually.

Nonsense. As already stated, providing the distance covered on each trip is substantial and short journeys don't occur that often then you shouldn't get DPF related problems.

I've had my Astra just over 2 years now and covered approx. 23,000 miles in that time. A 6 mile trip to work in stop start traffic, and again on the way home each day. But at the weekend it gets at least a further 100 miles adding to it at motorway speeds. And I always try to ensure that when a regen takes place, I let it complete the cycle before switching off the engine.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Old Navy
A friend has a mechanically written off VRS with EGR and DPF caused engine damage. I have yet to get the full story he was not happy and I didn't press for details when he told the story. That car was exclusively used for a 60 mile round trip motorway commute on a low traffic motorway. It was well maintained but died at 120,000 miles. He is a farmer and car enthusiast and looks after his mechanical stuff.

I have had two DPF fitted cars, I got shot of them at about 50,000 miles (low for me) and did not have a problem, they both had plenty of motorway use.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 30 May 17 at 09:16
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Falkirk Bairn
>>the Jag salesman was horrified that I might be looking for a petrol car.

The Jag salesman does not have any 2nd hand petrol cars to sell other than the top end engine stuff that is way out of the budget!

Have a look at a Lexus GS - comfort & reliability.
Thank you for your replies.

I've been ready to change for some years, but the budget has continually been diverted; building a house, helping other family members, renovating a house . Despite being a good towcar and despite being able to cover reasonable distances with little effort and in comfort, the C8 has a DPF and it's being troublesome. I need a motoring treat! I want something a bit selfish that looks the part i.e. not an MPV. I'll be prejudiced against a diesel whatever juice, be it AdBlue or Eolys it needs to make it work.

When I read Lygonos' thread on replacing his Kisashi, I looked one up on Autotrader. Left field is OK.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - legacylad
Looking on AT that budget will get you into a 2013/14 private sale Lexus RX 450h
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 29 May 17 at 13:22
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Boxsterboy
Of course the Jag dealer wants to steer you away from a petrol - he only has diesels to sell you!

What about a Skoda Superb? Can be had diesel, petrol and 4x4.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Mon 29 May 17 at 16:21
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Avant
If you've liked your Citroen, a Peugeot 5008 from the same stable might be worth a look. They depreciate fast, so you should get a fairly new one within budget. It might be hard to find a petrol one though.

A Skoda Superb would fit the bill, although the best engine, the 2.0 TSI, is probably too recent an addition to come within budget.

Otherwise, as LL suggests, a Lexus, or maybe a Subaru Outback or Forester if you don't like the idea of a hybrid. Both these are Sitty Uppy Vehicles so, as with the C8, no risk of banging your head.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - PeterS
If you're happy with Citroen I sure you could do worse than a DS5 for comfort, though whether they do a petrol version I'm not sure...
Don't know about the DS range but 'style' vehicles often have impractically low towing weights.

Thanks for the input.

Best laid plans etc.

On my way to work yesterday my head was turned by a Citroen C6 Lignage with the v6 diesel in black at a local independent sales outlet. It's black, 08 reg, can't see the mileage and unpriced.

I'll call in next time I'm passing to see what sort of outrageous value they place on it. I reckon it should be about £5k.

Any takers for guessing the sticker price?
>> can't see the mileage

Type the car reg and make into the following link, and it'll show the mileage from previous MOTs, which should give you some approximation.

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Jun 17 at 10:13
My crystal ball tells me it might be this car.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705235740016

www.alphacarsnyorks.co.uk/used-car/Citroen/C6/919

Double your estimated sticker price.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Jun 17 at 10:31
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - Zero
He's working hard to sell that lemon. 36moth RAC warranty, free MOTs for life (but hey, only 3 as its life will be as far as the warranty allows) 48 photos.

9k for three years motoring.

>>
>> 9k for three years motoring.
>>

£10k, that's a ridiculous price, it's not even very efficient.
Good work with your crystal balls; that's the one. £10k is a bit steep, but there again, that would value my teenaged C8 at £5.5k as a trade-in. One can only hope.

Actually it's not that stunning with the tyres at 2-3mm and a graze on the front quarter bumper. Yes, I did stop on my way home and drool over it.
>> Yes, I did stop on my way home and drool over it.
>>

Specsavers ...
>> >> Yes, I did stop on my way home and drool over it.
>> >>
>>
>> Specsavers ...
>>

Well I did say 'insults welcome'.
>> Good work with your crystal balls

I'll be honest. It didn't take much to find it. There are only 3 black 2008 C6's on Autotrader. One dealer in Catterick Garrison, which is in North Yorkshire, which is where your profile mentions you are.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - rtj70
The promise of three years worth of MOTs isn't worth much. What if it does not pass one and needs major work.

No way is it worth anywhere near £10k. A lot better options for that money.
 Mercedes C-Class, Jag XF or what ? - mikeyb
Not many to choose from, but if I fancied one then I'd go for the one with double the miles for 3.5K

Full history and cam belt done
If only they'd done an estate version......

OTOH compared with a Berlingo it's lacking in rear legroom. Wouldn't want to be sat behind a 6' plus and or long legged driver.
Latest Forum Posts