Motoring Discussion > Suzuki - Battery total failure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 10

Suzuki - Battery total failure - hawkeye
If it's fine I'll often take the motorbike to work on a Sunday afternoon. Long way there; longer way back. Yesterday I started up the bike as normal, set off out of the garage, and then had to stop because there was a car stationary at the end of the yard. I rode the couple of metres up to the car and a male passenger got out. I switched off and we exchanged a few words. When the car left I switched back on and pushed the starter button. Nothing, not even a click. No instruments, no dash lights, zilch. The battery voltage didn't register on my multimeter and all fuses were OK.
By the time I'd finished faffing around, it was past the time I should have left so I took Mrs H's car.

Fortunately the battery in my jump-start pack fits the bike so I could start it up this morning and check the alternator for a healthy 14.4 volt output.

After a night on charge there's about 3 Volts in it. Clearly it's scrap. How does a gel battery go from hero to zero (sorry RF) in a few short minutes ?
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Shiny
Internal structural failure, such as the end plate becoming detached from a battery terminal.
Sad.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Zero
>> Internal structural failure, such as the end plate becoming detached from a battery terminal.
>> Sad.

Only takes one of the gel sacs to heat up and rupture and it will take several with it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Jun 17 at 12:54
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Duncan
>> I rode the couple of metres up to the
>> car and a male passenger got out. I switched off and we exchanged a few
>> words.
>>

Apropos of probably nothing, is there any relevance to the fact that a MALE passenger got out?
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - hawkeye
>> Apropos of probably nothing, is there any relevance to the fact that a MALE passenger
>> got out?
>>

None. It's just what happened.

Perhaps I should précis my post to, "My motorbike battery failed yesterday afternoon."

But as it's me, I will have my cathartic ramble.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - BiggerBadderDave
The guy was your guardian angel. Else it would have failed just as you were about to ride back home.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Cliff Pope
Apropos of probably nothing, is there any relevance to the fact that a MALE passenger
>> got out?

>> The guy was your guardian angel.

Angels are traditionally male.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Zero
Dave is not fussy as long as its warm and wet
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - BiggerBadderDave
And shaven.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - MD
Shaven Haven.
 Suzuki - Battery total failure - Dog
Gorran Haven.
Latest Forum Posts