Motoring Discussion > Younger or older Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 39

Younger or older - Crankcase
I'll keep it brief for fast thoughts today.

Relative looking at two identical cars tonight - probable purchase of one of them.

One is seven years old, 24k on it. WBAC value of £2000.
The other is £250 cheaper, four years old, 55k on it. WBAC value of £2600.

Same dealer.

Older car, lower miles (the one she wants cos "the miles"), or younger car, higher miles, just as a general rule, would you think? It's the younger higher miles one here, isn't it?

Younger or older - Zero
The choice needs to be made on condition. Tyres, dents, service book, etc. Ie How well looked after is the car, and how well do you trust the seller.
We'll take all that into account, sure, but my own gut feel is a seven year old car is likely to start to have bits dropping off that a four year old one may not? I wouldn't be that concerned about 55k in four years - be better than something that's bimbled about for seven to my mind.

Still, it's not my purchase. I wouldn't be buying either, but what can you do?

My added value will be in the negotiation.
 Younger or older - Zero
>> We'll take all that into account, sure,

no, its not "We'll take that into account" it is "Our primary criteria"

All things being equal, then you go for "car the younger"

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Jun 17 at 09:46
 Younger or older - TheManWithNoName
I wouldn't rule out the older car but I'd check the MOT history on line to see how its faired and been fettled. But if its done under 4k each year, its clearly been used as a pootler.
Thanks for that - I forgot you can check the MOT online these days.

One is a base model, the other is the "sporty" model, though they actually have the same engines etc. It's just minor trim and kit differences. The sporty one is the younger cheaper one.

Anyway, the base one has nothing in the MOT history of any real excitements, whilst the sporty one at every MOT has stuff about tyres being near limit, or illegal, and brakes being worn/near limits, with a failure one year on both those things as well. Might not have been looked after, or just thrashed, perhaps.

I'll see tonight what they look like.
 Younger or older - Ambo
7 years is generally taken to be the end of economical life for run-of-the-mill cars.
 Younger or older - sooty123
>> 7 years is generally taken to be the end of economical life for run-of-the-mill cars.
>>

I don't think so, there's still plenty of life left in it at that age. Mines near double that. I normally buy them at about 7 years old, not been stung yet.
 Younger or older - henry k
>> >> 7 years is generally taken to be the end of economical life for run-of-the-mill cars.
>> I don't think so, there's still plenty of life left in it at that age.
>> Mines near double that. I normally buy them at about 7 years old, not been stung yet.
>>
That has been my approach for many years.
My current car is 10 years old with 40K on the clock.

Rot used to be the killer, it waits for no man but things seem to have improved
The new problem seems to be vast complications in the electrics/electronics.
Labour costs to sort out the bugs will IMO be the car killer.
 Younger or older - nice but dim
>> >> 7 years is generally taken to be the end of economical life for run-of-the-mill
>> cars.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> I don't think so, there's still plenty of life left in it at that age.
>> Mines near double that. I normally buy them at about 7 years old, not been
>> stung yet.
>>

+1

My current car was bought at 7 years old and had 70,000 miles almost. 3 years on and I've doubled its original mileage.

I wouldn't say it's in the same condition mechanically now but I've had my moneys worth if I eek as another 30,000 miles out of it.
Anyway, the base one has nothing in the MOT history of any real excitements, whilst
>> the sporty one at every MOT has stuff about tyres being near limit, or illegal,
>> and brakes being worn/near limits, with a failure one year on both those things as
>> well. Might not have been looked after, or just thrashed, perhaps.

I think that's enough evidence there or at least enough to give you a good idea of which one to advise to get.
 Younger or older - No FM2R
So, as Zero said, which was has been looked after? That matters more than the age.
Gather round chaps. Deal done.

She went for the older lower mileage one. It's actually in really good nick for its age. I know they've put tyre black on it and cleaned it, all that, but under the cosmetics it looks hardly used at all, which with those silly low miles on, I guess it hasn't been. You could have put a two year old plate on it and I wouldn't have questioned it.

I thought I'd hate the colour, described as green, but in fact it looks quite smart, a sort of minty light green with a reasonable interior.

As to WHAT it is, I dursent tell you, as you'll all predict dire consequences.

Well ok. Relative has a Citroen C1, which has served her well for a few years.This is a replacement, Citroen C1 again.

Got a bit of a deal, not much, a bit off and a few obvious things thrown in, but enough so we were all happy, which is the important thing. It's difficult negotiating for someone else. I would have pushed more but I could see she was getting embarrassed by the whole thing, so I left it. She is the sort who pays screen price without a quibble, and is inclined to offer a bit more if not watched.

Just a couple of minor niggles they are sorting, pick up next week.

Fingers crossed it doesn't explode on the first run; the guilt will be all mine. Did the best I could to help, anyway.

I wouldn't knock a c1, i had one for a couple of weeks. Seemed fine around town, nice engine very eager so to speak. Rubbery gear change though.
 Younger or older - Manatee
Good little dodgems if you can stand the drone, which she obviously can.
 Younger or older - The Melting Snowman
Agree about the three-cylinder drone. OK for local journeys but tiring on a longer run. Their main quality is reliability, thanks to Toyota.
 Younger or older - legacylad
This 3 cylinder drone must only apply to certain marques. Last month I rented a new Focus 1.0 3 cyl from Alicante (. 6 speed variant) and cruised up n down the AP7 between Valencia and points South, fully loaded 4 up, at an indicated 140/150 kph for extended periods of time when the limit was 120kph.
No drone whatsoever. Probably a larger body, newer vehicle and more sound deadening hides the drone?
That's right LL, I've driven both. The smaller car has much less deadening, it's much more noticeable. Ford have done a pretty good job with NVH on its 3 pot.
I was hugely impressed...I knew it sounded 'different' and only when I popped the hood to check oil and water ( I'm anal that way) was it confirmed.
In my ignorance I didnt even know that Ford produced a 3cyl motor
I do now!
 Younger or older - bathtub tom
>>Just a couple of minor niggles they are sorting, pick up next week

I hope they've not parted with any cash!

My usual response to any problems is 'sort it and call me when you have', they usually haven't.

Lost count of the number of cars I've walked away from because 'we'll deal with that after you've bought it sir'.

Younger or older - Duncan
>> Lost count of the number of cars I've walked away from because 'we'll deal with
>> that after you've bought it sir'.

Quite so.

If there is a fault with a car, why wasn't it sorted before they put it on sale? Why put a second hand car up for sale with a known defect?

Perhaps this is why some people prefer to go to main dealers and pay a bit extra?
 Younger or older - Runfer D'Hills
My son has a 7 year old Aygo as his learner car, pretty much the same car. I love driving it, as does my wife. Like a little go-kart.
 Younger or older - The Melting Snowman
Given this thread's title, I'm surprised Big Bad Dave hasn't contributed.
 Younger or older - Cliff Pope
I'm not BBD, but I do like them older.
I've never had a car less than 15 years old. The Volvo is 25, and the Triumph 50 years old this year, both are reliable daily drivers.
 Younger or older - Hard Cheese
>> Like a little go-kart.
>>

Amazing how often people say I love driving this car, it's like a little go-kart ...

... so why don't they save a few quid and buy a little go-kart instead?
What, like a 1 series? Nah, too girly...

:-))
Whoa there.... I hold the trump card when it comes to "too girly"
>> Whoa there.... I hold the trump card when it comes to "too girly"
>>

What, the Pecan, though you haven't got it yet!
"Girly things come to those who wait"
Only a matter of weeks away....I have an August build date
>> What, like a 1 series? Nah, too girly...
>>
>> :-))
>>

Surely any 1-Series is better than driving around in a hearse ...

;-)
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 15:55
Yeah, maybe, but I just couldn't be bothered with the having to paint my nails bit...right faff that must be.

;-)
 Younger or older - Zero
>> Yeah, maybe, but I just couldn't be bothered with the having to paint my nails
>> bit...right faff that must be.

Indeed, must be a real rugger to get it to match your yellow boots.
What about ice picks? Can you get them colour coordinated?
 Younger or older - Zero
>> What about ice picks? Can you get them colour coordinated?

Indeedy, this would complement his yellow boots

www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-Summit-Adult-Orange-orange-x/dp/B00Q78W42Q
See I admire how you look out for your friends, even when their fashion choices are a bit "Harold & Hilda" if you know what I mean.
I'd be swayed by spec to some degree though would go for the one with fewer owners and appears to be lovingly cherished.

I mean either of them could be mint or trashed.

EDIT: In fact 7 years old is a 10 plate car, if well looked after and no evidence of 2 mile shopping trips/school runs every day I'd err towards that ...
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 12:06
 Younger or older - Dog
My ole crate is a 10 plate ~ 1 owner low mileage full pain dealer history, relatively unmarked inside & out.

My previous car, a 10 year-old Subaru Forester was still going strong when I part exed it earlier in the year.
It did have some 'issues' with the engine/autobox though, so could potentially costa lotta for the unlucky,
but then again it could go on for years like a lot of old Subs y'all see on the frog and toads.
 Younger or older - Old Navy
My 10 plate Ceed estate is only failing MOTs on neglect items like tyres, bulbs and rear brake imbalance. It's mileage has doubled since I sold it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 17:49
 Younger or older - Dog
Ah, but I'm talking about a British car, me ole shipmate ~ made in Swindon, knowlmean ;)
 Younger or older - BiggerBadderDave
Older, lots of leather to sniff, slightly battered and little bit dirty.
Latest Forum Posts