Motoring Discussion > BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Falkirk Bairn
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-40239879

link edited to take you directly to the news article, as more than likely it'll vanish from the NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland headlines soon
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 01:29
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Bromptonaut
>>driver has issues with M2 in wet

I guess any of us, not skilled in dealing with high power rwd, could get in a mess like that if too 'enthusiastic'.
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Hard Cheese
I would assume that they had all the electronic aids tuned off though who knows ...
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Old Navy
Amateur driver. Hammond lost both ends and parked the car on its roof down a steep slope and in flames. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 09:30
More here, looks like it rolled a few times and took a tree down with it, must have been high speed ...

stv.tv/news/north/1390949-two-people-cut-from-car-after-serious-road-accident/

Unless of course it hit a fallen tree ...
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 12:28
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - DP
Never lift...
>> Never lift...
>>

The following taught me a lot many years ago, I had been driving a few years when I was watching an F1 race from IIRC Imola, it was Ayrton Senna's first season in F1, '84 I guess, Senna lost his Toleman, it under steered and ran onto the grass, the commentator, James Hunt (again IIRC) said something like - "that was good for a rooky, he kept his foot in, had he lifted off totally it would have spun when he hit the grass though keeping some power on helped stabilise the car and he got away with it ..." It's always stuck with me.
>> >> Never lift...
>> >>
>>
>> The following taught me a lot many years ago, I had been driving a few
>> years when I was watching an F1 race from IIRC Imola, it was Ayrton Senna's
>> first season in F1, '84 I guess, Senna lost his Toleman, it under steered and
>> ran onto the grass, the commentator, James Hunt (again IIRC) said something like - "that
>> was good for a rooky, he kept his foot in, had he lifted off totally
>> it would have spun when he hit the grass though keeping some power on helped
>> stabilise the car and he got away with it ..." It's always stuck with me.

I hadn't heard that one. Loved James Hunt's commentary :-)

I had it drummed into me by a former rally driving mate with very similar logic. Lifting is an instinctive thing to do when it all starts going to s***, but it's rarely the right thing to do.

There is footage on Youtube of him passing the crowd seconds before the crash, and he was properly motoring. Given 365 bhp at 22 years old, I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done it. I was lucky to make my mistakes at far saner speeds in cars with not much more than a quarter of that power output.
>> There is footage on Youtube of him passing the crowd seconds before the crash >>

Got a link DP?
>> Got a link DP?
>>

My mistake, it was Facebook not YouTube.

Here you go :-(

www.facebook.com/bradleygallan/posts/10156241604909278

BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Manatee
Self inflicted then.

Many years ago I went on a track day run by Saab for dealers. One of the salesmen I went with was far too aggressive and was on the grass more than the track. I told him to calm down, but he crashed on the way home! Not with me on board, fortunately.
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - PeterS
>> I would assume that they had all the electronic aids tuned off though who knows
>> ...

I think you're right, but even if they weren't they can't defy the laws of physics. Hammer into a corner far, far too fast and then suddenly lift off is going to end badly with our without DSC I'd imagine? It's actually quite difficult to completely disable all stability control I think isn't it?
Last edited by: PeterS on Tue 13 Jun 17 at 21:59
>> I think you're right, but even if they weren't they can't defy the laws of
>> physics. Hammer into a corner far, far too fast and then suddenly lift off is
>> going to end badly with our without DSC I'd imagine? It's actually quite difficult to
>> completely disable all stability control I think isn't it?

Precisely. This is the problem with driver aids. People think they are invincible.

I was given a lift home from a party by a friend of a friend many years ago in a Mercedes C230 Kompressor in the pouring rain, and the guy was driving like a complete tit, but in a "one hand on the wheel, lackadaisical, no understanding of what's going on underneath me" sort of way. The yellow stability control light was blinking almost constantly as the electronics compensated for his ham-fistedness. I remember thinking at the time if it weren't for the systems, he'd have wrapped us around any number number of trees and lamp posts in that one short journey.

That said, it was kind of the chap to offer me a lift home on such a foul evening, and I thought it impolite to say anything. Tempting as it was to get out and kiss the ground when I arrived home, I simply said thank you and wobbled indoors.
>> It's actually quite difficult to
>> completely disable all stability control I think isn't it?
>>

There are loads of combinations though IIRC turning off the DSC leaves everything else on, though holing the button down turns it all of but for ABS, as I say IIRC, need to gen up again.
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - madf
I used to drive on those roads in Aberdeenshire.

They are almost always damp, especially the tree lined sections. And usually gravel on corners . from winter gritting or rain..

Very treacherous....
 BMW - M2 - seems 22 yo driver has issues with M2 in wet - Manatee
Do we actually know whether they hit a fallen tree yet, or felled it?
>> Do we actually know whether they hit a fallen tree yet, or felled it?
>>

AFAIAA we don't ...
Latest Forum Posts