Motoring Discussion > Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying?
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 10

Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Lemma

The front windscreen washer pump on the house shopping trolley has packed up and having studiously ignored it for long enough I manned up to the task and took it out. The last time I replaced a washer pump was on my old XJ6, I couldn't get the correct part so bodged up a suitable replacement from Halfords, at a cost of around £15.

The Yaris has been such a good car, seven years old and only a replacement front strut bearing earlier this year and a new gear lever knob (under warranty) in all that time. Always passed its MOT and otherwise just the usual brakes and tyres. I decided that it deserved a genuine Toyota replacement, and the main dealer is conveniently four miles down the road.

Anyone like to take a guess what the cost of a new pump is from Mr T?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Old Navy
£40 + tax?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 17:52
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - The Melting Snowman
£120
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Runfer D'Hills
Dunno, but I'd think you'd get one from your local scrapper for not very much.

They're very reasonable for door mirrors anyway...
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Old Navy
I was just about to say £20 on the bay.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Hard Cheese
eBay item number: 112433309464 would seem to be ideal, both pumps and the washer bottle for £35 delivered.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying? - Clk Sec
>> They're very reasonable for door mirrors anyway...

Only 'cause you got 'em as a job lot...
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying - Lemma
Well, thanks for your contributions everybody and before I forget to post the answer I thought I would come back now.

And the answer is - drum roll - £148.05

As others have rightly commented, eBay is your friend and I have one on order for £33.35. What an extraordinary price for such a relatively simple part, and for a mundane, everyday car. It is just as well these cars have such a good reputation for reliability!
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying - Ted

Thanks, Lemma. Just jogged my memory to check the pump on the Jowett tomorrow. Just 10 minutes work under the bonnet and then I can do a bit of lying underneath connecting things up. Should be back on the Queen's highway by weekend. Two local shows booked in.

I think I robbed the existing pump off a scrap Allegro but I need to check the wiring first before I go and get one. It's operated through a nice bakelite starter button on the dash to keep it in period and any coloured cable connectors are sleeved in black heat-shrink to mute them down a bit !
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying - Lemma
The new pump arrived at lunchtime and I fitted it this afternoon. Well pleased with my £33 purchase. More problematic fitting all the plastic fairing back in place, why is there always one bolt left over with a job like this?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - Laughing or crying - hawkeye
>> The new pump arrived at lunchtime and I fitted it this afternoon. Well pleased
>> with my £33 purchase. More problematic fitting all the plastic fairing back in place, why
>> is there always one bolt left over with a job like this?
>>

It's not a bolt that's left over; they do multiply if you leave them close together.
Latest Forum Posts