Motoring Discussion > Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focal Point Replies: 14

Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - Focal Point
Having now got the Mazda CX-5 (see separate thread) on my drive, I want to get rid of the Focus - private sale after I've tarted it up a bit.

There is a bit of dent in the FNS passenger door and some keying marks, plus a few other small problematic paint areas.

If anyone has experience of/knows of a decent mobile dent/paint repair outfit covering my area (Hemel Hempstead/Herts/Three Counties* etc.) I'd be eternally grateful to hear. Thanks in advance.

*Not Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire (as in agriculture, choral festivals etc.), not Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire/Derbyshire (as in RFU), but Bedfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire (as in BBC Three Counties Radio).
Last edited by: Focal Point on Tue 13 Jun 17 at 17:52
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - CGNorwich
What's "a bit of dent". How big is it and is the metal creased? The mobile dent repairers have their limitations. Anything significant is likely to be a body shop job
No crease. Concavity between 5 - 10 mm.
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - Dog
www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/minor-dents/
www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/minor-dents/

Thanks, Perro, but I take it you do not have any personal experience of any Chipsaway operative in my area?
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - Dog
>> I take it you do not have any personal experience of any Chipsaway operative in my area?

They will do a good job for you - I guarantee it.
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - No FM2R
I have used one in Watford. Dentfix, I think. It was on a Merc and it was just fine I only hesitate to recommend because it was a while ago.

However, if your goal is "tart it up a bit" my general experience is that they'll probably all be ok. I guess I must have used half a dozen or so and they've all been ok. Not miracle workers but certainly ok.

I'd probably go for a minor company just because they have to maintain their own reputation rather than being able to rely on a brand.
Mark, you got it right - it's just a matter of putting the car into acceptable condition so that the bodywork issues are not going to be a major reason for haggling.

Dentfix seem still to be a going business, based in Amersham, and not a franchise. I may contact them.

Thanks to Dog for his input too.
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - VxFan
It might be worth asking a few local garages and car body shops who they use.

My local car body shop uses a man in a van as he gets better results than they can. For starters it's cheaper than they can do it and less faffing about.

I asked about a small shopping trolley dent in my passenger door on one of my previous cars when it went in for a bumper repair (caused by someone reversing into it). Because the guy couldn't 100% massage the dent back out he didn't charge me for the work as he wasn't satisfied with it. I looked at it myself and couldn't see where the dent was. He was obviously more of a perfectionist than I am.
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - tyrednemotional
>> It might be worth asking a few local garages and car body shops who they
>> use.
>>

...wot he says....

My X1 was less than a week old when a branch was blown onto it in high winds; It left two notable dents on the bonnet.

The "prestige" used car dealer in the village recommended a mobile man who they've used for years.

Phoned him, and he dropped in between jobs. His beat-up Focus and general appearance weren't confidence-inspiring, but he was pleasant, quick and did an excellent job for much, much less than I was quoted elsewhere. (I couldn't watch him, though, had to walk away!)

Subsequently found references to him on various internet forums, and recommendations by upmarket main-dealers in the area (though no good for Herts)
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - Runfer D'Hills
I'd forgotten you'd dinged that BMW. Must have been quite annoying.

;-)
>> I'd forgotten you'd dinged that BMW. Must have been quite annoying.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

It's surprising how much more relaxed I've become about such things since I retired.

....but the wind blowing a branch onto the car is not my fault...... If, for instance, I'd kerbed an alloy,
then I'd be annoyed..

:-o
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - VxFan
>> His beat-up Focus and general appearance weren't confidence-inspiring,

He doesn't get paid to sort out the dents on his own car, hence why they get left. Similarly to a mechanic's car which is generally one of the worst on the road.
 Mobile dent/paint repair - W. Herts - zippy
>>Similarly to a mechanic's car which is generally one of the worst on the road.

A very good friend who was a mechanic at a scrap yard basically repaid his cars from the arrivals yard. His wife hated driving around in scruffy cars but they always sounded sweet!
>> He doesn't get paid to sort out the dents on his own car, hence why
>> they get left. Similarly to a mechanic's car which is generally one of the worst
>> on the road.
>>

AKA. Cobbler's Children syndrome....... ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 14 Jun 17 at 21:57
Latest Forum Posts