Motoring Discussion > NF approved breathalyser Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 7

NF approved breathalyser - bathtub tom
I've bought some, allegedly, NF approved breathalysers for an imminent trip to France.
I can't find anything on them to show they are NF approved.
Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for please?
 NF approved breathalyser - CGNorwich
I wouldn't bother . There is no penalty for not carrying one and the police don't bother checking for them. The law is technically still on the books but in effect it is ignored.
 NF approved breathalyser - smokie
I understood a couple of years back that the requirement to carry breathlysers had been rescinded. Has it been re-instated then?
 NF approved breathalyser - tyrednemotional
....I have an expired pack, which is NF marked on the outer packaging, and also on the "bag" to which the tube attaches.

The calibration for French items is, of course, lower than those for UK versions (as the limit is lower).

AFAIK, the current situation is still (in a typical French fashion) that though it is a legal requirement to carry the breathalyser, the amendment that nullifies any penalty for not doing so is still in force.
 NF approved breathalyser - jc2
The French have two drink-drive limits.One the same as UK,one severer-with different penalties.
 NF approved breathalyser - bathtub tom
>>AFAIK, the current situation is still (in a typical French fashion) that though it is a legal requirement to carry the breathalyser, the amendment that nullifies any penalty for not doing so is still in force.

That's what I understand too, but I thought that by carrying them it may appease any stroppy flic. Like the large GB plate I've got, as it seems the small GB on the end of the number plate doesn't strictly meet French laws.
 NF approved breathalyser - CGNorwich
The police will not be in the slightest interested in your number plate or your breathalyser nor your reflective jacket or your headlight beam deflectors come to that. They will be very interested in the speed you are going and if you have been drinking.
 NF approved breathalyser - Mike Hannon
>>I've bought some, allegedly, NF approved breathalysers for an imminent trip to France.<<

You've been done. The last time I saw any for sale over here was at a supermarket years ago and they were 10 for an euro.
Just forget it and enjoy the trip. Mind you, I hope it cools down a bit for you. The heatwave is due to ease up from Friday.
Latest Forum Posts