Motoring Discussion > Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? Green Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 17

Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - movilogo
Why do the hybrids lose the rev counter and replace it eco/charge type dial?
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - rtj70
Because you're meant to change your driving style to get better MPG overall. So knowing that you're coasting and regenerating rather than accelerating and braking.

The VW GTE's with conventional dials have the rev counter where the temperature gauge normally would be. Opt for the active info display and you can swap how the dials show the info. You can even have a dial that can show charge, electric power usage as a %age and revs.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 18:23
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - PeterS
Our e-tron replaces the rev counter with a 'power' gauge, which shows % of available power being used. Above 100% it it has a 'boost' section, which it goes into when both electric motor and petrol engine are in use together, and below 0% it a 'charge' section which it goes into when regenerative braking is in use. Not sure a rev counter would add much; it is after all an auto. IIRC Rolls-Royce also fits a 'power' gauge rather than a rev counter ;) Having said that, I *think* it's possible to get a small rev counter showing on the OBC
This is the active info display (one of the views):

i.ytimg.com/vi/P7Mjf2u2oZw/maxresdefault.jpg

But if you go for the plain old GTE and do not specify the active display you get this:

cdn.eurekar.co.uk/uploads/images/large/pgteinstruments.jpg
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - Zero
>> Why do the hybrids lose the rev counter and replace it eco/charge type dial?
>>

Because as the wheels are driven by an electric motor, where power and torque is even across its revolutions range, a review counter is meaningless
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - MD
Blessed auto correct.
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - zippy
I guess the option price for the fully electronic display is over £1k!? I would stick with the standard one myself.
>> I guess the option price for the fully electronic display is over £1k!? I would stick with the standard one myself.

The same display as an option on Audi's is about £250 I think. On the GTE its £585. It does more than this. You can change what the gauges show and can have sat nav in the middle, even with reduced size dials.

I thought I'd choose not to have it - but if I were to order a GTE I'd get it. Standard on the GTE Advanced.
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - zippy
>>On the GTE its £585

Still ouch! You can buy a half decent laptop for that! This is just an LCD panel with some control chips added and some driver software. You can buy decent LCD panels on EBAY for <£100 so I wonder what the real cost of this to the manufacturer is (or what the mark up really is)?
Except the electric or ICE are not always working in tandem. Indeed on VW and Audi hybrids you only get both operating in tandem in 'performance mode'. In normal hybrid operation the scenario will be as follows:

- ICE engine running so revs might be useful
- Lift off accelerator and go into coasting mode - both engines disengaged and ICE switched off
- Touch accelerator and electric motor comes on.... if you're on a motorway at speed likely to soon switch off and ICE come on.
- Braking... like coasting and both ICE and electric motors off. And better to use regenerative braking that real brakes... mode on the DSG box to do braking but it will slow you down quickly.
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - Zero
So revs becomes all the more meaningless
Only if I (rarely) use my DSG equipped car with the manual paddles do I even look at revs.

I know it's possible to improve MPG if I do it in manual mode around town. I can't be bothered with that and the auto mode is more than good enough.

On the GTE without the dial or the optional info graphic for power flow (either in active info display or on the head unit) you'll struggle to know if it's electric or ICE powering the car. You know when it's both because of the artificial synthesised engine noise.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 20:22
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - mikeyb
My Lexus has both, well kind of. By default its an eco meter, but you can choose to have it switched to a rev counter if you want - it changes the backlighting
Last edited by: mikeyb on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 20:58
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - PeterS
Agreed, revs are meaningless in the A3. Power used is interesting, though not much more than that! The A3s dash looks like this :

i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/Audi%20A3%20e-tron/image_zpsq4zgyoby.jpeg

I think the analogue dial on the Passat GTE will be annoying jumping around. Which is why the digital display might be the better (but costly) option if set on the right display.
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - Lygonos
Rev counter would be pointless on my car as it is single speed drive (EV not hybrid) and the RPM is thus directly proportional to the MPH.

It has a Power dial while represents how much, um, torque the motor is dishing out - ie if you mash the pedal it goes to 100%

images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/mercedes-b-class-electric-drive-2014-011_0.jpg?itok=kyx9d4gz

Note in the above image the whopping lie on the display that it has 184km left at 77% battery charge, suggesting a range of 240km/150 miles when full (with potentially a further 15% or so overcharge if it has the Range boost option)

Also the battery dial suggests it is more like 70% charged

Electricgate :-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 25 Jun 17 at 00:31
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - Lygonos
Here's Jonny Smith reviewing the updated Golf GTE - plenty of dial appreciation for y'all here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LZNQBfm9U
 Why do the hybrids drop rev counter? - Hard Cheese
If this is the future I fear it's like white goods, where's the soul gonna come from.

Seems that what you get under your right foot vsries depending on charge so you'll never get the same experience aand consistent performance across a whole journey.

I''ll keep the charge % meter on my phone and laptop. Give me a characterful ICE with a rev counter and a powerband and a tank of fuel any day.
Latest Forum Posts