Motoring Discussion > Yet another insurance thread! Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 2

Yet another insurance thread! - nice but dim
So I had my renewal through 2 weeks ago from Aviva, could be better. Usual increase as expected upon last year.

Called up to see if they can do better, I didn't expect a massive improvement as I have (what I would call a minor claim declared, broken wing mirror).

They said, try our "Drive" app for 200 miles, get your score and call us back.

Duly did and received £149 (28%) off renewal - very good result.

App has to be loaded on to a smart phone, and records journey times, distances and presumably acceleration and braking responses from GPS. I didn't get the full score of 10 (I got 8.5) due to some instances of excessive acceleration - oops!

Worth a try...

Yet another insurance thread! - VxFan
Personally I'm not a fan of these drive apps. Too much Big Brother.
I think you'll find the acceleration and braking responses are via the phone's accelerometer and gyroscope, not GPS.

I ended up making a saving on my renewal. The snail mail correspondence from my current insurer (Direct Line) was £438. An increase of £69 over last years price.

I did the usual on-line searches (Inc Direct Line), which were coming out ITRO £500 or more. Some of what I would call the "tin pot" outfits were coming out at £350 to £400, but they had less perks than I already had.

A few days before renewal I did another on-line search and Direct Line's price jumped up to £590!

I phoned DL to check whether my on-line searches hadn't affected the original renewal quote that I had through the post from them - a few years ago it did and I had to send them a print out of the on-line quote to prove to them which was the correct price.

Anyway, upon speaking to DL, the girl was surprised that the on-line quote was more expensive than the post quote, and if it was cheaper they now honour it, even for existing customers. She went away and did a few checks, then came back with a renewal price of £378, an increase of £9 over last years price!

So, with a quick phone call I saved £60 on the original renewal quote, and a hell of a lot more when comparing it with the on-line quotes I was getting.

Insurance, what a mine field. I guess it's no difference though to shopping around for the best utility provider, etc.
 Yet another insurance thread! - Hard Cheese
>> Personally I'm not a fan of these drive apps. Too much Big Brother. >>

Totally!

We had previously had two cars with Aviva though renewed last year with Hastings Premier as Aviva were getting expensive, cant' recall the last premiums exactly.

This year the 120i renewed with Hastings at £265 inc breakdown for my wife and myself inc business cover for both.

I then did an online quote with Aviva for the M135i as Aviva's cover is very good and they came in at £283 (no breakdown as it is within the BMW warranty) though business cover for us both which I though was excellent for 300+ BHP etc.
Latest Forum Posts