Motoring Discussion > Two cars, one insurer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 12

Two cars, one insurer - Crankcase
I have two cars. Both are insured with LV. I get a discount on each policy for doing so (apparently).

One car is now due for renewal. I want to shop around.

The other car - not the one now due - had a (no-fault) claim on it a month or two ago.

When shopping online, is the answer to "have there been any claims in the last five years"

Yes - because it's me or

No - because this specific car has had no claims made?

I know I can ring and ask but call centre hell means I'll get a quicker, cheaper and probably more trustworthy answer here, I expect.
 Two cars, one insurer - Bromptonaut
If you're the insured and main driver of both cars I'd say you should disclose.

Somebody will be along in a minute to say the opposite.......
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 26 Jun 17 at 10:26
 Two cars, one insurer - Zero
I think the form says " has the INSURER made any claims"

The car can't make claims, the proposal is about you, the car is just a factor in the risk, just like your postcode

You need to disclose
Fair enough. Thanks. I just didn't want to (possibly) bump the premium unnecessarily.
 Two cars, one insurer - Manatee
>> I think the form says " has the INSURER

INSURED?
 Two cars, one insurer - Haywain
Thread drift alert here - but as you'd mentioned LV ............

Earlier this month, Co-op had raised the insurance for my '07 Astra estate from £420.20 to £447.48 - so I thought it was time to shop around. I was rather surprised to find that online quotes were in the region of £170 lower - I could scarcely believe it. I rang Co-op to offer them the chance to re-quote, but all they could offer was a bit of tinkering about to save 5 or 6 quid.

Then a friend recommended LV who, for similar cover, were £179 (~40%) less - the windscreen repair/replacement excess is slightly higher. So I went with LV, and we're about to check them out for my wife's car.

I'd be interested to know, Cc, if you manage to find a quote that is significantly less than LV.
Will report back.

As far as the claims experience went, it was all good stuff with no bother - they approved it all within one working day at my choice of repairer. Repairer offered a free courtesy car for the few days of the job anyway, so nothing else was needed from LV or any other claim company. Happy with LV on the actual processing of the claim therefore.

However, a few weeks later, when I thought it was all done and dusted, LV emailed to say the other party's insurer (Co-op funnily enough) hadn't responded, so if I had employed a solicitor for some reason could their details go to LV please, or ignore the mail if I hadn't.

As I hadn't, I did nothing, and I've not heard anything else since. I hope at renewal time they won't say "unresolved claim still outstanding" and go mad with the premium (though NCD is protected, which helps a bit). Still, that's not until next January.
 Two cars, one insurer - Haywain
"As far as the claims experience went......."

The friend who recommended LV to me had also experienced a positive claims procedure with them. We had to make a claim some 6 years ago on my wife's Co-op policy for the Focus, and that also was very good.

The problem with insurance is that you never know how good a company is until you make a claim and I have further misgivings about dealing with insurance on-line - corresponding with something in the ether and never talking to a soul!
 Two cars, one insurer - helicopter
I can also recommend LV. Both myself and wife are still insured with them.

I had a write off in floods some years back and the claim was handled professionally and fairly by them.

Two cars, one insurer - Manatee
I'm a fan of LV - currently have two cars and the house with LV (the old MX5 is cheaper on classic insurance elsewhere).

They have been there or thereabouts, and fair on renewals (minor increases, which I have nudged them down on a couple of times) for a couple of years. Their attitude to admin charges seems reasonable too.

I fully expect that they will at some point want to 'rebalance their book' and become more expensive - nobody can be cheapest all the time.
 Two cars, one insurer - Bill Payer
>> I fully expect that they will at some point want to 'rebalance their book' and
>> become more expensive - nobody can be cheapest all the time.
>>
Used them for years too, and have home and travel with them. Dont know if it makes any difference but you can use their Frizzell brand if you qualify for CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) membership (many people qualify somehow).

I recommend them to friends and colleagues but, I guess like all insurance companies, for some people without any obvious reason, they can be way out.
 Two cars, one insurer - Bromptonaut
>> I'm a fan of LV - currently have two cars and the house with LV
>> (the old MX5 is cheaper on classic insurance elsewhere).

Another vote for LV. Went back to them after a break on Admiral Multi-Car having fallen out with latter over them designating my son as main driver when he was not.

I get the CSMA (now Boundless) discount and whenever I've re-quoted nobody gets near for same cover.

They were also brilliant with both fault and no fault claims. Latter was damage from a prematurely lowered barrier on Council car park. Full cost including excess and cost of hire from Europcar while mine was in dock - I don't pay the extra for a 'guaranteed' courtesy car. .
Ok - renewal letter through post, 320 ish. Just went online to their site, renewal 275 ish. Then went to Topcashback, has link to LV, and it promises an extra 20 ish cashback.

Just need to check the existing paper policy details tonight to make sure I'm comparing like for like, but looking like a wodge can be saved here, and at that price I'll stick with LV.
Latest Forum Posts