Motoring Discussion > Fuel prices. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 39

Fuel prices. - Old Navy
London £1.15, Edinburgh area £1.10. I am in London, glad I have enough fuel in the car to get away from the rip off prices before I need to top up!
 Fuel prices. - Bromptonaut
Is that cheapest in bit of London you're visiting? IME it varies enormously depending on local competition, cheap diesel where taxi drivers top up. Always pricey on Park Lane though.

As I've observed before there's always a 2-3p variation up in Northampton compared with Milton Keynes or Leicester. Differentiating factor is presence of Asda that seels fuel.
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
The cheapest fuel price in Edinburgh is currently showing as ASDA , 111.6

The cheapest fuel price in London is currently showing as ASDA 111.6

www.allstarcard.co.uk/fuel-card-services/uk-fuel-price-information

link edited to remove the full stop at the end which prevented it from working
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 12:51
 Fuel prices. - Old Navy
The only supermarket in this bit of London is a Sainsburys, no idea of their fuel prices, I was working on roadside displays. As I said above I don't need fuel in London and am certainly not going out of my way for cheap fuel in the traffic down here! :-)
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
Just posted to show that your initial statement that rule is dear in London thanin Edinburgh is factually wrong. In some places it is dearer in some places it is cheaper.. Your bias in favour of all things Scottish and dislike of all things English seems to get in the way of reality at times.

Fuel prices. - Old Navy
>> Just posted to show that your initial statement that rule is dear in London thanin
>> Edinburgh is factually wrong. In some places it is dearer in some places it is
>> cheaper.. Your bias in favour of all things Scottish and dislike of all things English
>> seems to get in the way of reality at times.
>>

It was £1.10 when I left home and is £1.15 at the places I have seen here. It seems it may be £1.11 when I get home. Regardless of price I will have to buy fuel as will you.

I don't dislike England, I am spending three weeks in it. I do not have tiny island mentality, have seen much of the world, all places are different and have advantages and disadvantages
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 12:47
 Fuel prices. - Zero
>> The only supermarket in this bit of London is a Sainsburys, no idea of their
>> fuel prices,

Not like you to spout crap to try and make London look bad.
 Fuel prices. - VxFan
You must be having a really good holiday, to still be spending so much time on here ;)
 Fuel prices. - Old Navy
He must have his last word fix ! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 19:49
 Fuel prices. - Zero
I have to keep putting you straight ancient mariner
 Fuel prices. - Zero
>> You must be having a really good holiday, to still be spending so much time
>> on here ;)
Free WiFi on the beach, free WiFi in the bar, free WiFi in the restaurant, and thanks to the EU, use free use of my data allowance
 Fuel prices. - No FM2R
Free WiFi in the bar? Very, very bad idea. Me, Gin and a WiFi connection? Nooo, very bad idea.
 Fuel prices. - Zero
Me, WiFi, and Mojitos are far worse
 Fuel prices. - tyrednemotional
>> Me, WiFi, and Mojitos are far worse
>>

...you, WiFi, Mojitos and steps are even worser........

;-)
 Fuel prices. - Zero
>> >> Me, WiFi, and Mojitos are far worse
>> >>
>>
>> ...you, WiFi, Mojitos and steps are even worser........
>>
>> ;-)
Oh I don't know, there are far worse girl bands about
 Fuel prices. - movilogo
Fuel price is likely to go downward only in future. The demand is falling due to electric cars becoming more mainstream. Also, if they increase price (by producing less) then fracking can become cost effective - so a kind of balancing act already in place.

Fuel prices. - Bromptonaut
>> Fuel price is likely to go downward only in future.

Hmm, not so sure. Various tensions in the Middle East involving both regional squabbles and US/Russian influence could affect supply. Continuing Brexit uncertainty is keeping pound low too.
 Fuel prices. - Lygonos
>> Fuel price is likely to go downward only in future.

The bulk of the price is duty and VAT - neither of which I expect to drop.

Any electric car effect is negligible as they still account for a tiny amount of miles driven, and plug-in hybrids still do most of their miles on petrol.

And the shift from diesel to petrol for private motoring which is likely to be pushed politically may increase use of oil-based fuels.

Fuel prices. - Robin O'Reliant
Speculating on future fuel prices is like tossing a coin - pure guesswork. As has been proved many times over the years, even the so called experts are consistently wrong.
 Fuel prices. - Zero
I can guarantee you that at some stage it will go up. How much for how long and when is tricky to forsee tho
 Fuel prices. - Old Navy
Fifteen minutes ago the prices at the Esso opposite the Colliers Wood underground station were petrol £1:16•9, diesel £1:18•9.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 16:27
 Fuel prices. - Falkirk Bairn
Stirling - Shell Vpower £1.19p, unleaded 1.12

A few weeks back the difference in unleaded & V-power was 12p in places - today 6p so gave the car a treat.
 Fuel prices. - Runfer D'Hills
A 10p increase in the price of a litre on a car which does 40mpg and 10,000 miles a year leads to a cost increase of £113 a year. Or, 30p a day. Can't even get half a Greggs sausage roll for that.

Don't worry, be happy !
 Fuel prices. - Hard Cheese
Reckon diesel might go down if demand decreases cos they cant really turn diesel down or off in the refinery as petrol and diesel are from different parts of the chain when crude is cracked.
 Fuel prices. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Reckon diesel might go down if demand decreases cos they cant really turn diesel down
>> or off in the refinery as petrol and diesel are from different parts of the
>> chain when crude is cracked.
>>
And the Chancellor will be rubbing his hands at the prospect, plenty of scope for making up the difference with a duty increase.
 Fuel prices. - Manatee
Diesel is just a cut or distillation fraction of crude oil. In the event that there was a glut, presumably the refinery price would fall and it would then be worth cracking the surplus diesel to produce e.g. different fuels or other hydrocarbons for the chemical industry.

I don't think that, politically, diesel at the pumps will be allowed to become cheaper than petrol. (as ROR implies).
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 17:53
 Fuel prices. - Zero
It is everywhere else in Europe and it was for a while in the UK. Market forces will drive the price and the market usually thinks the consumer will pay more for diesel because the consumer gets more MPG from it
 Fuel prices. - Bobby
I think all price comparisons should be done in the new currency of Greggs Sausage Rolls.
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
They sound abslutely ghastly They are apparently 64% fat and contain 349 calories each. Meat contents is less than 15% Just 5 constitute the recommended calorie daily intake for an an adult male.

Never had one and I'm not tempted either!
 Fuel prices. - sooty123
Never had one and I'm not tempted either!
>>
>>

You've never had a gregg's sausage roll or any sausage roll at all ever?
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
Nope, never had a Greggs sausage roll, or for that matter been in a Greggs. Have eaten the odd one hear and there I guess but not something I would seek out.
 Fuel prices. - sooty123
Well they're like normal ones but better ;-)
 Fuel prices. - Zero
>> Never had one and I'm not tempted either!
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> You've never had a gregg's sausage roll or any sausage roll at all ever?

Remember now, this is the man who won't eat bacon rolls
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich

>> Remember now, this is the man who won't eat bacon rolls
>>
Does that make me a bad person then? :-)

I like sardines on toast. Does that restore my street cred?
 Fuel prices. - sooty123
>> Remember now, this is the man who won't eat bacon rolls
>> >>
>> Does that make me a bad person then? :-)
>>
>> I like sardines on toast. Does that restore my street cred?
>>

On a previous food thread, I vaguely remember that you were the chap who cooked all meat outside because they didn't like the smell?
I've probably misremebered, my memory isn't as good as many on here about who has done what in the past.
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
No, I didn't say that I cooked all meat outside. I said that I usually grill meat, especially lamb chops outside on the barbecue because the smell tends to linger in the house. I often cook a roast chicken outside on the barbecue too because I think they cook better that way.

Not a vegetarian by any means but only eat red meat once or twice a week.
 Fuel prices. - sooty123
Ah it was you. That's not bad for me, close enough .
 Fuel prices. - Runfer D'Hills
>> I think all price comparisons should be done in the new currency of Greggs Sausage Rolls.

"GSR" then?

Currently approximate parity with the Euro.
 Fuel prices. - Bobby
But can you get a Euro on a meal deal with a tomato soup?
 Fuel prices. - CGNorwich
Your new currency is likely to give rise to a good deal of inflation for the consumer.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 29 Jun 17 at 10:34
Latest Forum Posts