Motoring Discussion > Donating a car to charity Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Donating a car to charity - henry k
My old 98 Mondeo has been looking sorry and SORNed sitting on my drive and it was time for it to go.
Scrap merchants ( that looked to be genuine ) were not really interested and I ignored adverts on lamp posts.
They were no local scrappies and all were 10/15+ miles away so I can understand the cost of collection was a deterrent.
I considered the local fire station but the car had a dead battery and ????
I decided to investigate charities and chose www.charitycar.co.uk/
They have a fairly short list of charities but no gift aid facility.
The booking procedure was simple and the big car transporter arrived a few days later to do the removal.
I was a little surprised that the Mondeo just would not start but the winch dragged it off the drive.
Paperwork signed and £60+ donated.
I was happy with the whole procedure and it avoided dealing with the " unknown"
 Donating a car to charity - Cliff Pope
What did they want it for, if it doesn't work and has no scrap value?

I remember one school open day we had a smash-up-a-car stand, where people paid 1/- or 2/- depending on the size of hammer they chose, and then got 10 minutes to do as much damage as possible to an old car donated for the event. At the end of the day we had raised a fair amount of money, and the twisted remains and scattered bits were taken away by a scrap man.
 Donating a car to charity - Clk Sec
>>but the car had a dead battery

Thought you had one of these 'ere jump starters, Henry?
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 1 Jul 17 at 10:53
>>What did they want it for, if it doesn't work and has no scrap value?
It did have scrap value or for parts. The charity was paid £60+
The 2.0l petrol engine was great, 20K on the cambelt, the auto box rebuilt, A/C was good
BUT no a lot of call for bits for an old Mondeo.

>>I remember one school open day we had a smash-up-a-car stand,
The local scouts annual fair had the same til elf n safety stopped it.

>>but the car had a dead battery
>>Thought you had one of there 'ere jump starters, Henry?

It was a really dead dead battery.
The Mondeo was running well when I parked it so I was surprised it would not start even with a mega jump starter from the transporter driver.
I assume some other fault had occurred during its hibernation.
p.s. I did get a quote from a scrappie SIX UK pounds. :-((
 Donating a car to charity - Haywain
"I did get a quote from a scrappie SIX UK pounds"

The fluctuations of scrap value ......... some 5 years ago, we drove a tin-pot old Corsa to the scrappie and got £130 for it.
>> The fluctuations of scrap value ......... some 5 years ago, we drove a tin-pot old
>> Corsa to the scrappie and got £130 for it.
with a working battery ;-)
>>
I think the £6 reflects the cost of collection from afar
 Donating a car to charity - Crankcase
Think you're right. In laws just did scrapped their 98 Mondeo about two weeks ago, coincidentally. We hopped online and used a website, which gave them a choice of legal dealers who would come and get it.

The one they chose paid them £75, I think, or thereabouts.

It was this one

www.cartakeback.com

Which we found from this article

www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/14/getting-rid-old-car-scrap

Donating a car to charity - Bromptonaut
>>some 5 years ago, we drove a tin-pot old
>> Corsa to the scrappie and got £130 for it.

Got a similar price for my Xantia in 2013. Rang round WBAC and similar sites for best deal. It was collected by a transporter from a national chain who seem to dispose of cars via a virtual auction. HAd to be capable of moving under it's own power, still had a few days tax/MOT. Paid by immediate bank transfer.

Probably have got more driving it to scrappie in town but knackered suspension meant it was unsafe (and frightening) to drive. Bad enough getting it out of the cul de sac to a place the transporter could access.
Latest Forum Posts