Motoring Discussion > Smooth Driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 45

Smooth Driving - Zero
On my way to a dog show today, I dropped off at Clackers Lane for a Costa, large treble shot skinny flat white.

Left it on the roof of the longboat

Only came off at 45 MPH, on the slip re-entering the M25
 Smooth Driving - Runfer D'Hills
I once left my wallet on the roof of the Merc. Drove the 160 or so miles home from London with it up there on the M40, M42, M6 etc. It was still trapped under one of the roof rails when I got home. Damp but intact.

Smooth Driving - Old Navy
The roof cup holder option is poor quality if it only works below 45mph.
 Smooth Driving - Hard Cheese
>> I once left my wallet on the roof of the Merc. Drove the 160 or
>> so miles home from London with it up there on the M40, M42, M6 etc.
>> It was still trapped under one of the roof rails when I got home. Damp
>> but intact.
>>

The weight probably helped ...
 Smooth Driving - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Left it on the roof of the longboat
>>

.....some odd Southern "bourgeois" habit......?

I usually buy coffee (and not a "treble shot skinny flat white", ffs) to drink.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 12:56
 Smooth Driving - Ted

I once left a saucer full of T.Cut on the front bumper valance of my Wuzzley 15/60 and drove round for a few miles.

It was still there when I got home.
 Smooth Driving - Robin O'Reliant
I drove round for a week with a Sparrow stuck to the radiator grill. It dropped off a bit at a time, first one of the legs, then a wing followed by the other wing and lastly the head. Finally it had decomposed enough for the remainder to follow.

Fascinating really.
 Smooth Driving - Fullchat
"I once left a saucer full of T.Cut on the front bumper valance of my Wuzzley 15/60 and drove round for a few miles.
It was still there when I got home."

Wouldn't expect nothing less from a Class 1 driver Ted :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 9 Jul 17 at 20:51
 Smooth Driving - Ted

>> Wouldn't expect nothing less from a Class 1 driver Ted :)
>>

I was young, I wuzzn't one then FC. ....Geddit ? I was 26 when I got the final accolade.

Anyway, TCut was expensive for a19 yr old woodentop ! I bet you're the same, never lose the skill...I bet I could do a pursuit even now...given a few limitations and some good luck !
 Smooth Driving - Manatee
It comes to something when you ask for "a normal sized white coffee" ( i.e. not an eye-bath-sized espresso) and get the response "Do you mean a lah-tay? Or a cappuccino?" as happened to me last week.

Of course if you are going to use it for the Jackie Stewart test you might as well go for the cheapest.
 Smooth Driving - PeterS
The winds in the right direction; I think I can here the odd bit of commentary from a dog show up the road... will keep a look-out for Volvos ;)
Your suspicions may well be confirmed Peter, if, that is, you hear some bloke telling the others that they're doing it all wrong...

;-))
 Smooth Driving - Zero
Stone near Dartford, and as we are currently second, only one person is doing I better than me
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 14:05
 Smooth Driving - devonite
In my youth I took part in a "Smooth Driving" competition at the County Agricultural show, whereby you had to drive around an obstacle course (on Grass) with a ping-pong ball in a dish, stuck on the bonnet of an old banger. The one who got the furthest with the ball in the dish was the winner. I lost mine when I misjudged the stopping test, and slid through the pallet wall! I was doing well till then!
 Smooth Driving - Old Navy
Gregg's have "White coffee" and "Black coffee" options amongst their range of up yourself hot drinks. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 14:44
 Smooth Driving - Mike Hannon
Just what does <> mean, please? I wouldn't even dare to ask how much it cost.
I gave up on ordering coffee in the UK after an experience at a motorway service area that had three coffee shops adjoining each other, none of which seemed able to supply both a cup of coffee with milk and a spoon to stir it.

Edit: on reflection, I suppose if you are a university graduate and the only job you can get is serving coffee you might be tempted to hype up the experience a bit.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 15:03
 Smooth Driving - Harleyman

>> I gave up on ordering coffee in the UK after an experience at a motorway
>> service area that had three coffee shops adjoining each other, none of which seemed able
>> to supply both a cup of coffee with milk and a spoon to stir it.
>>

Similar narcissistic affectation is starting to affect even a simple cup of tea in a similar manner.

One of the greatest irritations of the poncy new breed of coffee shops is that the more options you offer people, the more likely they are to stand dithering whilst they make up their minds, which lengthens the waiting time for the rest of the queue; annoying if like me your break time is limited and recorded. And what is it about asking your name then writing it on the cup FFS? I always say "Number Six" when asked that, which of course goes completely over the server's head but produces sniggers from a few of my age group behind me in the queue.

Smooth Driving - sooty123
I'm never quite sure why people go into places that get them all worked up. I just avoid them and buy some else somewhere else or not bother at all.
 Smooth Driving - Harleyman
>> Gregg's have "White coffee" and "Black coffee" options amongst their range of up yourself hot
>> drinks. :-)
>>

I do like Greggs, even though they're becoming somewhat ubiquitous. Simple, no-nonsense grub at the right price.
 Smooth Driving - Duncan

>> I do like Greggs, even though they're becoming somewhat ubiquitous. Simple, no-nonsense >> grub at the right price.
>>

Is ubiquity a disadvantage?
 Smooth Driving - PeterS
>> Stone near Dartford, and as we are currently second, only one person is doing I
>> better than me
>>

Fortunately we are many many miles away from Dartford :)
 Smooth Driving - Zero
>> >> Stone near Dartford, and as we are currently second, only one person is doing
>> I
>> >> better than me
>> >>
>>
>> Fortunately we are many many miles away from Dartford :)

Take it from me, I shan't be lingering any longer than It takes to snatch my rosette. And kiss the judge. Surprisingly for a Dog Show judge she is a real cutie
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 15:46
>>Surprisingly for a Dog Show judge she is a real cutie...

Poodle?

;-)
 Smooth Driving - tyrednemotional
>> And kiss the judge.......

Despite Peter being many miles from Dartford, he'll probably still hear the screams........

;-)
 Smooth Driving - Bobby
All joking aside, I rarely go into coffee shops due to the wide variety of choices and names.
I do know a Greggs mocha so stick with them.

I dare say if I made an effort to go into your Costas I would soon get to know what I liked.

Barista? Glorified water to granules title??
I've heard it used as a term of endearment in Glasgow. Or at least I think that's what they were saying. As in "Ach, it's you again isit ye Embra Barista?"

;-)
 Smooth Driving - Cliff Pope
>> All joking aside, I rarely go into coffee shops due to the wide variety of
>> choices and names.
>>

I can name only "black" and "white". I've no idea what anything else means.
 Smooth Driving - zippy
Coffee. Never drink the stuff. Give me tea all day long. Most types are fine but an Earl Grey in the morning is a treat.
Same here never seen all the fuss about coffee, much prefer a cup of breakfast tea.
 Smooth Driving - rtj70
You can't beat Yorkshire loose leaf tea IMO.
I like whittards, they make a lovely breakfast tea. I also enjoy an earl gray in the afternoon. Mostly have a normal tea bag but I do enjoy a treat of a proper cup of tea.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 20:28
 Smooth Driving - Bromptonaut
>> You can't beat Yorkshire loose leaf tea IMO.

I go with that too, great first drink of day and as it goes on. Chatsworth teapot with tea in a filter saves use of strainer or risk if catching leaves in your teeth.

Also like a Mocha (coffee mixed with hot chocolate) from the cafe at civic centre when I'm manning the Citizens Advice outreach in south of county.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 20:33
 Smooth Driving - legacylad
Tea for me. Milk first. No sugar
I very rarely drink coffee, and then I only use the decaf sachets I've nicked from somewhere.
Strangely enough on my most recent jolly, out of 9 passengers, I was the only one drinking tea...took the char wallah three days for me to train him to use the Yorkshire tea bags I brought. Decent strength, just a drop of milk.
The two Dutch, two Silth Afrikaans and four Turkish passengers must have thought I was a right twonk. Quite correct as it happens.
Very strong black coffee if it's before noon, tea with milk only in the afternoon. Jasmin tea in the evening. Or gin if something hurts.
 Smooth Driving - Ted
Coffee in the morning...Filter from Farrers of Kendal. Strong, sweet and white...just like the wife. Tea in the afto and mebbe one at bedtime sat out if it's nice, like tonight, listening to the trams on the speed section at the end of the garden and the 747s turning Westwards over the 'owse for the flights to the little ole USA.
 Smooth Driving - PeterS
>> Very strong black coffee if it's before noon, tea with milk only in the afternoon.
>> Jasmin tea in the evening. Or gin if something hurts.
>>

Similar here; an americano with an extra shot from the machine at home or work until around 2. Then green tea in the afternoon; occasionally an earl grey with a dash of milk. Gin followed by something sparkling if the mood takes me after that ;)
 Smooth Driving - Duncan
A cup of coffee will prolong your life by nine minutes.

tinyurl.com/y9ggfj6e
 Smooth Driving - Hard Cheese
>> Stone near Dartford, and as we are currently second, only one person is doing I
>> better than me
>>

Reckon the dog may have something to say about that ...
 Smooth Driving - bathtub tom
SWMBO loved those big hazelnut twirls (in those days when they used to have a whole hazelnut in the bottom).
Once drove over a mile with one on the bonnet of the old Vitesse, round a roundabout and several junctions without losing it.
 Smooth Driving - hawkeye
Once drove from Grange-over-Sands to Levens before someone realised a child's mug of orange juice was still on the caravan dresser. Mug still upright when we stopped to have a look. Sticky residue on base of mug may have helped.
 Smooth Driving - Ted

I managed a bit further, Hawkeye. I got from Newby Bridge, through Milnthorpe and almost into Carnforth with the handset for the caravan motormover tucked behind the front n/s grab handle of the caravan.

About £110 to replace !.....Phew !
 Smooth Driving - Bromptonaut
>> I managed a bit further, Hawkeye. I got from Newby Bridge, through Milnthorpe and almost
>> into Carnforth with the handset for the caravan motormover tucked behind the front n/s grab
>> handle of the caravan.

One of my nightmares.....
 Smooth Driving - Bobby
My nightmare was when my dad stood at the back of the caravan with the automover in his hand.
But still held it in same way which meant every button sent it in the opposite direction. In this case, reversed into a tree.
 Smooth Driving - Manatee
>> My nightmare was when my dad stood at the back of the caravan with the
>> automover in his hand.
>> But still held it in same way which meant every button sent it in the
>> opposite direction. In this case, reversed into a tree.

He must have slow reactions, they don't move that fast! I do that nearly every time.
 Smooth Driving - Ted

I later lost that handset in the garage somewhere. I remember it being on the end of the bench with an open bin below it so I assume it got knocked off and chucked.

I couldn't now move the van without a mover. I need to get it up the dropped kerb into the drive then past the house where it has about an inch on either side. Then it's about 75 metres before I have to do a million point turn to get it to it's spot in front of the workshop. I can leave it in front of the garage but if the Jowett is in use then it blocks the way. I have marked a point on the kerb in the road with a black aerosol where the nearside wheel needs to be before I swing it round with the mover to line up with the drive. I remove a 2" fence panel and swing the rear offside corner into the space about 3 inches then straighten up, having cleared the gatepost.

Sounds complex but it only takes 10 minutes or so with the mover.
 Smooth Driving - Bobby
Dad was about 78 at the time, he had finally admitted his age didn't lend itself to towing.
So we were taking photos to put it up for sale.

Like Teds arrangement, there was lots of young and growing needed and he ended up a couple of inches off a tree. Pressed the button, slow reactions and then it crunched.
Latest Forum Posts