Motoring Discussion > Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - henry k
www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/runnymede-roundabout-motorists-brace-themselves-13288037

Things may get worse before they get better for motorists as one of Surrey's worst traffic hot spots, the Runnymede roundabout, prepares for an eight-month revamp, starting on Monday (10 July).

www.getsurrey.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/nine-notorious-roundabouts-surrey-drivers-12162998
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Hard Cheese
I know it well, could certainly be better though why it needs to take 8 months I don't know.
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Bromptonaut
>> I know it well, could certainly be better though why it needs to take 8
>> months I don't know.

Judging by examples round here (Tove and Abthorpe on A43) it's about par for course. Wilby Way at Wellingborough took even longer.

All though involved substantial earthworks and were done in a way that minimized traffic disruption.

And all three were much better post completion.
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Manatee
>> I know it well, could certainly be better though why it needs to take 8
>> months I don't know.

Probably because of the need to keep the roads open while doing it. I wonder if they ever seriously consider a week's closure and blitzing it 24 hours a day to get it done.
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Bill Payer
About once every two years I have to visit a company in the building in the loop of the A30 off the M25 so have to go all the way around that roundabout.

It's odd that sometimes it's fine, and other times I get in a complete mess.

The new loop back should help - if I can remember, and get across to it in time!
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - wotspur
Since WW2 the,planners knew the Walton on Thames bridge needed an upgrade, about 20 years ago, they built a temporary bridge, and then about 10 years ago they built a lovely new bridge.
However in all that time, the designers not once thought about safety issues for those turning right from the river road, towards the,town centre.
They could have made a loop under the bridge towards the marina, and a slip road up to join the main road.
They could have put a mini roundabout there
They could have put a no turn right sign, meaning going left, down to a roundabout 200 yards away and looping back.
But typically they did nothing and it has taken 20 minutes to get out of this road, because one has to cross a very very busy road.
Let's hope they don't mess up this development.......it's been a long time needed, especially the loop, to come of the M25 and get back towards Staines.
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Zero

>> However in all that time, the designers not once thought about safety issues for those
>> turning right from the river road, towards the,town centre.

There is no safety issue with turning right from Walton Lane (the river road) in fact it works the other way.

There is an issue with getting out. This is a deliberate traffic planning choice to prevent road users using Walton Lane as a rat run between Walton and Weybridge. It provides access to the riverside facilities at Cowey Sale, yet keeps traffic calmed to enable safe enjoyment of that environment
 Runnymede roundabout (by M25 J13) 8 month rebuild - Duncan
>> They could have made a loop under the bridge towards the marina, and a slip
>> road up to join the main road.

They did.

For cyclists and pedestrians.
Latest Forum Posts