Motoring Discussion > Some parking offences should give you points Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 31

Some parking offences should give you points - Mapmaker
I never cease to be amazed, if I drive through Town in the morning rush hour, the number of vehicles parked on main roads whilst unloading - in areas where loading is restricted. I think that certain roads (much like red routes, say) should give the driver points for loading. That would stop the delivery drivers. And taxi drivers too.
 Some parking offences should give you points - Bill Payer
...but the shop shelves would all be empty.
If the shop's business plan involves breaking the law do you not think that perhaps it should think again?
 Some parking offences should give you points - hobby
>> ...but the shop shelves would all be empty.
>>

Because they can't deliver for 2 hours in the morning and evening...

Oh, come on!!
 Some parking offences should give you points - Bellboy
Because they can't deliver for 2 hours in the morning and evening..
>.
>>>>how would you service all the other shops in this 2 hour window then?
more vans on the road so you cant get to work sees
No, arrange delivery outside those hours (0930 to 1600 gives enough leaway I'd have thought - or even, shock, horror, before 0700 or after 1800, many shops already have staff around then already)... its not rocket science, and in most cases is done that way already...
 Some parking offences should give you points - Zero
If every shop were to have to have deliveries in certain hours only think how big the queues of white vans would be at that time.

The parking penalties are draconian enough. Besides you can get points for parking in dangerous places.
 Some parking offences should give you points - RattleandSmoke
I thought it was a 3 point offence if you parked on zag zags?
 Some parking offences should give you points - bathtub tom
>>That would stop the delivery drivers. And taxi drivers too.

Loading restrictions allow stopping for 'passengers to board or alight'.

The loading restrictions I've seen are for peak traffic times, usually an hour or so in the mornings and again early evening. One vehicle parked at these sort of times can hinder hundreds of other road users.
Zero, I don't think you appreciate just how much a city can be held up by somebody dropping off a few inconsequential items.

This is a bus route - it even seems to manage to get bendy buses on it. And yet it inevitably has 4 stopped delivery vehicles along its length during the morning rush hour. tinyurl.com/2emvwh4
>> Zero, I don't think you appreciate just how much a city can be held up
>> by somebody dropping off a few inconsequential items.

Of course I do. I have lived in, nearby, commuted to, driven in, out, through, around london all my driving and working life. Probably more than you, so dont tell me I dont appreciate what happens.

Now I dont think you appreciate the costs involved in only delivering during restricted or out of hours times. You would double transport costs due the inefficiency, inflexibility and utilisation of the transport resources.

Inconsequential? How about emergency parts for vital computer systems? How about medical supplies?

>> Now I dont think you appreciate the costs involved in only delivering during restricted or
>> out of hours times. You would double transport costs due the inefficiency, inflexibility and utilisation
>> of the transport resources.

Errr, hang on, transport costs for others are already being doubled on account of the congested roads. Prohibit deliveries 7.30 - 9.30 and 4.30-6.30 and the world would be a happier place.

You can always park round the corner, it is pure selfishness that makes people park on the main thoroughfares.

Taxis are the worst, and I would ban them from picking up or setting down in such places. In order to save a cabbie 90 seconds the entire road has to stop for the same length of time.
Get out of it, Its public transport.
 Some parking offences should give you points - Armel Coussine
It's extremely rare in London or anywhere else to come across a van or lorry making deliveries and so parked that traffic is stopped. It's quite common to see car drivers and the ghastly mimsing people carriers that pass for minicabs these days getting in each other's way while trying to negotiate one of these temporary obstructions, and causing agonising, unnecessary delays.

The very suggestion that further restrictions should be put on delivery drivers to go with all the road narrowings, cycle and bus lanes, pedestrianised areas, chicanes, speed bumps and baroque unnecessary detours is ridiculous and mischievous.

What sort of perfect orderly world do you carphounds envisage? Sounds like a damn nightmare to me. The world we've got is quite bad enough with the rising clamour from narcissists and incompetents demanding special privileges.

Tchah!
>> Get out of it, Its public transport.
>>

A taxi!?!? Public transport?!

That's something I really don't get. I don't get why taxis (containing 1 person) should be allowed in the bus lanes, holding up the buses. Taxis are far less attainable for the ordinary mortal than a car. Why should people who are wealthy (and so go by Taxi) be allowed to travel more quickly than those who are not (who sit in their own cars in a jam)?

Moreover, a taxi does two miles on Londons roads for every mile it contains a passenger.

And another thing, they do a shocking mpg compared to most private cars.

In Mapmaker's London there would be no taxis at all - and it would be a better place for it.
>In Mapmaker's London

the tumbleweed would blow and the black market would flourish...
 Some parking offences should give you points - Bellboy
You can always park round the corner,
>
>>>>>>>>> how does that work then?
 Some parking offences should give you points - Pat
You strip a one tonne pallet down and carry the small trays of Tuna in one by one.........all 672 of them.

It's another world, it really is.

Pat
>> You strip a one tonne pallet down and carry the small trays of Tuna in
>> one by one.........all 672 of them.
>>
>> It's another world, it really is. Pat

Aha. So you are one of those ill-mannered truck drivers who thinks that it is sensible to time a delivery for the rush hour, and thinks nothing of holding up entire roads for minutes at a time (see my illustration above). It's another world, it really is.

:)

Some parking offences should give you points - Harleyman
Thanks to Armel Coussine for a measured and sensible response. :-)

Used to do multidrop to shops. Assuming the driver has twelve drops and it takes twenty minutes to tip each one, that's four hours of his day just sitting at the roadside unloading. Add to that his driving time from and to depot, and between drops, and his mandatory breaks, and you start running pretty close to the driver's legal working hours.

And you then want to remove said driver from the road for two more hours just so that you can proceed to your place of work, so vital to the economy, without having to miss the last ten minutes of TV-AM or what ever it's called, and rush your cornflakes?

Diddums. Wet the bed and get up a bit earlier.
 Some parking offences should give you points - movilogo
>> That's something I really don't get. I don't get why taxis (containing 1 person) should be allowed in the bus lanes,

So that more people will ride taxi -> more people will want to run cabs -> more money for council -> simples

Some parking offences should give you points - RattleandSmoke
The bus lanes near me are for buses, taxis and blue Fiat Pandas (as I seem to be only person that uses them - when I am allowed).
>> And you then want to remove said driver from the road for two more hours

Thats not the case, HM, as you well know... you time your deliveries so that you are travelling during that period, not stopped unloading, or you deliver somewhere else that does not have restrictions... as I said before, its not rocket science...

It seems that whenever somone suggets that perhaps the morining and evening rush hours are perhaps the not the best of times to delver goods we get a lorry driver coming on and saying thats the only time it can be done...

Its also noticable that the vast majority of delivery drivers (lorry and vans) seem to be able to deliver their goods outside those hours...

Go figure!

>> And you then want to remove said driver from the road for two more hours
>> just so that you can proceed to your place of work, so vital to the
>> economy, without having to miss the last ten minutes of TV-AM or what ever it's
>> called, and rush your cornflakes?

I tend to get the tube, actually, so am generally immune to the stupidity and selfishness of delivery drivers.

When the road has yellow lines on the kerb that state clearly "no loading 7-9am and 4.30-6.30pm" (like my illustration above) then drivers loading during that time deserve are breaking the law and being selfish to boot.

The drivers don't care, as if they get a parking ticket it gets paid by the employer. Therefore the only way to stop it is by making the parking offence one that gets points. Then the employer will have to be more responsible by ensuring that deliveries are made legally - as no staff member will be prepared to get points.

One delivery driver has to get out of bed two hours earlier in order to make a delivery legally; or else hundreds of commuters are delayed on their way in by (allegedly) ten minutes. How does that add up?
 Some parking offences should give you points - MD
Is a Zag Zag a straight line??
What's Mapmaking like as a profession?

M
 Some parking offences should give you points - Runfer D'Hills
>> Is a Zag Zag a straight line??

Reminds me of the dyslexic ski racer who always came last because he zigged when he should have zagged. Eventually he gave up trying and decided to have a smoke but he couldn't find a tobogganist.
My dyslexic Pimp mate bought a Warehouse the other day.
 Some parking offences should give you points - BobbyG
Harleyman got it in one - change the time you commute to work?
 Some parking offences should give you points - bathtub tom
Not forgetting the dyslexic devil-worshipper who sold his soul to Santa.
KO
 Some parking offences should give you points - VxFan
The vehicle loaders who annoy me are the ones who switch on their hazard warning lights then open one of the rear doors wide open so you can only see the offside indicator flashing.
Latest Forum Posts