Motoring Discussion > Idiot Driver Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 46

Idiot Driver - zippy
On the A1 today.

I have blind spot radar in my car. It indicates if I have a vehicle in my blind spot and it is a life saver. I checked behind recently and saw nothing. Yet there was a motorbike there hiding behind the C pillar that the detector picked up!

We were doing about 20 to 25 mph in very heavy traffic and the same cars were along side and I was in the inside lane.

The passenger in the car alongside me is gesticulating at me and getting very angry. I ignored them and carried on.

About 10 minutes later I pull in to some services to get a coffee and they pull up along side.

Before I say "can i help you", they are out of the car, screaming and shouting at me....

"Every time we pulled up parallel to you, you indicated to pull out". they screamed, but no so pleasantly.

I had to explain that my mirror lit up when a car was detected in my blind spot and no other indicators were on.

To be clear, the wing mirror has a small etching in it, smaller than a 5 pence piece that is steadily lit when something is in the blind spot and the car bleeps furiously and flashes the etching should I actually indicate when it is lit (which I didn't do).

With no other indicators on, it is quite a stretch of the imagination to think that its indicating a lane change.

Here is what it looks like...

www.hyundaiusa.com/images/2017/tucson/safety/2017-hyundai-tucson-safety-03.jpg
 Idiot Driver - Manatee
Very few people adjust door mirrors properly. You don't need to see the side of the car in them. The interior mirror is for seeing behind.

Adjusted properly, any blind spot is much reduced or non-existent.

I assume you knew they were there anyway, so the feature was redundant.
 Idiot Driver - CGNorwich
"You don't need to see the side of the car in them"

You don't need to but most people will feel that it give them a better sense of perspective as to where other vehicles are if they can just see the side of their own cars. Setting your mirrors wide can potentially create even larger blind spots if not aligned correctly so personally I wouldn't recommend it especially to new drivers.
 Idiot Driver - Zero

>> spots if not aligned correctly so personally I wouldn't recommend it especially to new drivers.

I would, manatee is right. Most drivers set their mirrors to see too much of the side of the car. Perspective is not needed, vision is.

As far as the OP's tale goes, that is hilarious. Wot a bunch of numpties they must be.

I have have the feature on the Volvo - BLIS - it has the warning lights on the inside of the door where the mirror meets. Because I have the mirrors set correctly, its of no use to me.
 Idiot Driver - sherlock47
Because I have the mirrors set correctly, its of no use to me.

However your peripheral vision is very sensitive to flashing( :) ), hence you may detect the warning light before you actually avert your primary focus from straight ahead. But of course you would have been totally aware of the approach of something from behind anyway, so you may not benefit.

Idiot Driver - CGNorwich
> Most drivers set their mirrors to see too much of
>> the side of the car. Perspective is not needed, vision is.

From that I guess that you too set your mirrors so you can just about see the side of the car, as I do

What I think Manatee is recommending I believe is the practice of setting your mirrors wide. I.e you do not see any of your vehicle in the door mirror and they are directed at covering your blind spot. You use only the interior mirror for viewing the road behind.

There is a good exposition of it here. As you can see it does not in fact eliminate all blind spots.

trafficschoolonline.com/blog/how-to-adjust-side-mirrors-for-best-visibility

Idiot Driver - Zero

>> From that I guess that you too set your mirrors so you can just about
>> see the side of the car, as I do

nope i set mine jut to the point where you can't see the side of the car - unless you cant your head to one side
 Idiot Driver - CGNorwich
I guess the difference in just about seeing the side of the car and just about not seeing the side of the car is pretty small.

In effect you are adopting the method shown in the first illustation and not the second as am I.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 4 Aug 17 at 09:43
 Idiot Driver - Zero

>> In effect you are adopting the method shown in the first illustation and not the
>> second as am I.

I think the diagrams are misleading, inaccurate even, and ignore the field of view of partial or full convex mirrors
 Idiot Driver - VxFan
>> I assume you knew they were there anyway, so the feature was redundant.

It picked up the motorcyclist that the OP hadn't seen, so not quite a redundant after all.
 Idiot Driver - bathtub tom
>>Very few people adjust door mirrors properly. You don't need to see the side of the car in them.

I do, it means I can reverse the car into the garage with the nearside just missing the wall, giving me the maximum space to open the driver's door.
I also regularly use a narrow road that's just wide enough for two cars to pass. Being able to see exactly where my nearside rear wheel is means I can get as close to verge as possible, giving cars coming the opposite way the maximum amount of space - although many of them seem to drive down the middle of the road, only moving left if they see a car approaching.
 Idiot Driver - Hard Cheese
I always look over might right shoulder (left in Eur or NA) and there have been a few occasions that I have seen a vehicle that I was otherwise unaware of, it's the only way ...
 Idiot Driver - Zero
>> I always look over might right shoulder (left in Eur or NA)

The "life saver" look. When I was doing my taxi test, the first time I used a "mirror only" look behind when pulling out, out the corner of my eye I saw his pen flick to the test sheet. After that it was "life savers" all the time, and I only got the tick on my pass/fail sheet.
 Idiot Driver - Zero
>> I do,

So not only do you have them adjusted too far "in" for safe driving you have them adjusted
too far "down" as well.

In a narrow road, I too drive down the centre of the road if there is nothing coming the other way, why would you not? "What about the bend" you say. "What about positioning your car in the correct place to see round the bend" I retort.

The mirrors are not there for you to admire the lines of your car or how muddy your wheels get They are there for the safety of those behind you.
 Idiot Driver - CGNorwich
The Golf can automatically dip the nearside door mirror when reversing to enable you to see the kerb
 Idiot Driver - Cliff Pope
If you are in a car alongside say 2 feet away then you might not be able to see any other indicators anyway. It seems to me a bad idea to have any other flashing device that might in those circumstances be confused with an indicator.
But no reason for someone to get so cross about it.

I like to be able to just see the side of the car in each side mirror. But there is no need for it to be constantly visible - I set mine so that the tiniest movement of the head or body brings it into view. Especially when reversing I like to be able to relate what I am seeing - wall, gatepost, etc - to the position of the car, not just know it is there somewhere.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on any single devise - mirror or whatever. If you have three bulky people on the back seat or are carrying a load then the interior mirror may be obscured, and you don't want to be trying to adjust your side mirror just because someone in the back has shifted position.
>> The Golf can automatically dip the nearside door mirror when reversing to enable you to
>> see the kerb
>>

BMW does that, the left/right adjust switch changes function when in reverse to no dip/dip.

Idiot Driver - Lygonos
My old 735i (1989) had it - super feature which I wish was on all my cars.
 Idiot Driver - Zero
The Viking longboat doesn't have it, the prospective BM wont have it as standard, but its pencilled in on my options list. (trying to keep the options list below £4k)
>>the prospective BM wont have it as standard,>>

Maybe not an SE though an M-Sport would I reckon. Have you thought about an M-Sport and specing "delete M-Sport suspension"? I think that's no cost, might be better value altogether.
 Idiot Driver - Zero

>> Maybe not an SE though an M-Sport would I reckon.

Nope

>> Have you thought about an
>> M-Sport and specing "delete M-Sport suspension"?

Nope

>>might be better value
>> altogether.

Nope.

Idiot Driver - PeterS
In my experience M Sport is spectacularly bad value for money on most cars. The only real differences are sports seats, steering wheel and suspension. Maybe £1k worth, tops. Plus perhaps a black headlining. For that, with larger wheels and different bumpers and side skirts they'd usually want around £3/£4K!!
 Idiot Driver - Avant
Some people go for it because for some reason known only in Munich, BMW won't let you have that very pleasant shade of cornflower blue unless the car is an M-Sport.
 Idiot Driver - Zero
Don't forget you also get those spectacularly useful illuminated M Sport lower door sill inserts.

>> >>
>>
>> BMW does that, the left/right adjust switch changes function when in reverse to no dip/dip.
>>
>

Today I locked the BMW from the fob and the mirrors didn't fold as expected, it was because the hazards were on and they have repeaters in the mirrors, quite clever really.
 Idiot Driver - Manatee
I was being mischievous with the door mirror thing, but only slightly. If you can see a material amount of your own car there is usually a massive blind spot (mirrors do vary in convexity).

Roundabouts are the most likely places to be surprised by somebody in the blind spot because they can get there without coming from behind, where most observant drivers would have seen them before they "disappeared".

I often press the down and right arrows on the mirror adjuster if I want to get close to a kerb (I hate kerbing wheels) but as I am habituated to it, and the adjuster is left set for the left mirror, it's not a very fiddly adjustment for me.
 Idiot Driver - rtj70
I too prefer to have a bit of the car visible in the wing mirrors. It's how I was taught to have them setup I think. But I'm not missing out too much in terms of a blind spot.

My next car I've ordered with an option that will include blind spot monitoring so it will have the flashy/icon thing in the wing mirror. But I actually ordered the option for two other reasons: (1) the blind spot monitor radar helps reversing out of parking spaces - you should witness the inconsiderate people in local car parks and they don't stop even when you're already reversing! and (2) smart light assist - main beams on most/all the time and portions of the beam shaded for other cars.

If I don't like blind spot monitoring it can always be turned off :-)
 Idiot Driver - zippy
>>helps reversing out of parking spaces -

I have that, cross traffic alert it is called in my car.

When it first went off it made me jump out of my set, the dash computer screen flashed arrows indicting the direction of the trespasser and the thing bleeped so loud that you couldn't ignore it!

>>you should witness the inconsiderate people

Not only in car parks. Recently I have noticed people don't stop and wait for you to do a three point turn and will pass you as you reverse - very inconsiderate!
 Idiot Driver - rtj70
I have no idea if it's really useful. But my local Tesco has had me backed out over 50% of the way and some idiot zooms past at speed (i.e. not 10mph or slower). Additional warning and braking might be a good thing.

And the car will be a lot longer than this one. I try not to park between high sided vehicles like SUVs and vans for this reason.

Some drivers seem to be in too much of a rush to let you out of a space these days so risk a collision.
 Idiot Driver - Fullchat
Find the same thing In McDs car parks. Trying to manouvre into a parking space and they're coming from all angles in the 'drive thru' race. :(
 Idiot Driver - Manatee
TBH when I'm looking where I'm going, I don't hear warning beeps anyway so I am not attracted by this stuff. If it actually did something, e.g. applied the brakes, it might be more useful - or annoying.

Parking sensors are fine - when I am actually using them. But if I'm not, I just don't hear them.

Maybe part of what I love about the MX5 is that I have a steering wheel, some pedals and a gear lever and not much else.

There are some berks though. I had to nip out to Tesco today and as usual parked on my own at the far end of the car park. As I got out of the car I saw a middle aged idiot in a Jeep Renegade doing what looked like 25mph round the car park. I shouted my approval to him through his open window. He then confirmed his credentials by parking in the pick up area.

Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 4 Aug 17 at 23:10
 Idiot Driver - smokie
Ahhh, all these fancy new features. My new motor is partly electric and is silent at standstill. The other day I went to the supermarket, parked up, got out and the horn beeped three times quickly. I got back in but couldn't see anything. So I got out. it locks itself so I didn't bother.

When I came back, I loaded my shopping and got in the car only to find it was already turned on. or - I'd not turned it off! I must RTFM to see what all the beep sequences mean.

(I was a bit surprised that I could go right round a supermarket with the key in my pocket and it remain in, but at least it was locked... There is nowhere to put the key when driving and it is keyless entry)
 Idiot Driver - rtj70
My understanding of the keyless start systems on the cars I've tried is it will keep running if you walk away but warn you.

The Mazda6 I tried in 2014 kept beeping when I got out once and left it running (admittedly diesel). I'd opened the bonnet to take a look earlier and failed to secure it properly. So got out.

The various sensors around the car recognised the key was no longer inside when the engine was still turned on. Yours sounds like it did the same.

Of course stop the car when the key is not near and you cannot restart. Hence the warning I guess.

Mazda6 keyless entry and start had a flaw IMO. It would auto lock but not deadlock. That needed a double press of the key fob button. But Mazda's without keyless entry need the same. VAG cars deadlock on one press of the key fob button.
 Idiot Driver - rtj70
>> If it actually did something, e.g. applied the brakes, it might be more useful - or annoying.

It does apply the brakes if you don't stop yourself on the car I ordered. A Skoda Superb.
 Idiot Driver - MD
I've never had parking sensors. Never felt the need.

I NEVER park front in. Back in. Drive out.
 Idiot Driver - Bromptonaut
>> I've never had parking sensors. Never felt the need.

Neither did I until I bought the Skoda on which they were already fitted. They're pretty useful for judging close quarter manoeuvres on car parks. Also for getting it within a few inches of garage door for it's fortnight's hibernation while we're 'en vacances' in caravan. No illusion it'll stop a determined theif but with a grand plus worth of bikes in there it's a bit of an obstacle.

Mind you, given all three of my at fault accidents in forty years driving occurred while in reverse gear maybe I always had the need........
 Idiot Driver - BiggerBadderDave
"I've never had parking sensors. Never felt the need.

I NEVER park front in. Back in. Drive out."

Me too. The camera is handy though.

Anyways. I was in a shopping mall in Sussex a few weeks ago. Reversed in, and chose one of those rows where you can push your trolley between the rows of reversed cars. So on my right were loads of spaces. On my left though, was an area of painted chevrons because the row of parked cars had a slight angle, perhaps 150 degrees. So you couldn't get a full car in that space. It was just dead space.

Had lunch, wandered around the mall, went in the supermarket, she filled the trolley, I followed around a couple of milfs. Went to the car and loaded it all into the car and sat inside. I remember thinking "left or right? Where's the exit?". And I clearly remember watching a car heading for the exit. So left then, and set off. And there was a loud crunch. Wtf? Have I curbed it or something? No, it was an iron bollard, 30 cm lower than the waistline of the car. I probably saw it when I reversed in (and I approached from the other direction) but impossible to see from where I was sitting as I left off.

The door skin is a mess, you can see an outline of the side protection bars inside the door. Very annoying.
>> "she filled the trolley, followed around a couple of milfs
>>

Very distracting this time of year, unfortunately still on your mind when you were pulling out ...
 Idiot Driver - Runfer D'Hills
>>The door skin is a mess, you can see an outline of the side protection bars inside the door. Very annoying

Bit of a "mark of shame" Dave, has to be said...

You could, I suppose, just insist that your wife drives until it's fixed. Y'know, so no one will think it was you.

;-)))
 Idiot Driver - zippy
>>I NEVER park front in. Back in. Drive out.

A number of places that I visit insist on engine parked nearest the building - i.e. drive in, reverse out.

To do with bombs in boots originally.

Now H&S, especially where there is a foot path alongside the building as it keeps pedestrians on the path safe.

>> To do with bombs in boots originally.
>>
>> Now H&S, especially where there is a foot path alongside the building as it keeps
>> pedestrians on the path safe.
>>

To with avoiding sooty marks on walls I thought ...
 Idiot Driver - Bromptonaut
>> To with avoiding sooty marks on walls I thought ...

Another theory. Dates back to days of manual chokes and letting engine idle for a minute or two before moving off. Reverse in and you'd be gassing the inmates.

Remember having to ask somebody to get going in that situation as he was filling kitchen and Capel Curig YH with fumes.
 Idiot Driver - sooty123
> A number of places that I visit insist on engine parked nearest the building -
>> i.e. drive in, reverse out.
>>
>> To do with bombs in boots originally.

On an average sized car bomb it wouldn't have made any difference which way it was parked.
 Idiot Driver - Zero
>> >>I NEVER park front in. Back in. Drive out.
>>
>> A number of places that I visit insist on engine parked nearest the building -
>> i.e. drive in, reverse out.

It's more or less illegal in most US states to reverse into a parking space, rear number plate must be visible from the road.
 Idiot Driver - sooty123
Facilitated by their common herringbone (?) car park layout.
 Idiot Driver - R.P.
As a biker - I was taught to ride in a position so as to see the the car/van/truck etc in front's mirror or mirrors.

My V40 T5 had Volvo's blind spot radar. Superb bit of kit - missed in on the previous and current 3 series (options). I was almost wiped out on the M25 by some French buffoon. I was in lane 4 he was in lane 3, I saw him indicate and start to move across to lane 4, horn saved me I think. Sharpened up my overtakes later on ! :-)
 Idiot Driver - wotspur
I use only my wing mirrors whilst driving, as my rear view mirrors view is blinded by the stuff I carry, so I do need to see the side of my vehicle ....touch wood never had a problem
Latest Forum Posts