Motoring Discussion > BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 122

BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Fenlander
Glad to see the forum has survived both EU vote and General Election so perhaps safe to dip a toe in again.

Anyway...

Mrs Fenlander's Cactus lease ends in 4wks. We leased for a specific reason and now will return to a used vehicle. She wants a bit more substance with the next vehicle.

Got to be a diesel, prefer manual but with the vehicles she's looking at so many are autos that may be an option. Looking for a living room style interior so leather/wood trim ideal.

Short list is very short... BMW 3 or 5 series... or a C-class MB. Age 2006-2010. Price to £7k but more comfortable nearer £5k and no reason why older/cheaper car couldn't be considered if right spec/condition/history. Engine likely to be 2.0/2.2lit 4cyl but 6cyls considered.

I seem to remember there is a fair experience on the forum of these vehicles so any feedback or alternatives welcome.

I'd prefer she had a nice Golf but it's her choice.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 11:41
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Manatee
Doesn't time fly, I would have guessed about a year since you got the Cactus.

I haven't much experience of either, but such unreliable reliability data as are easily found suggest that the C class is significantly more reliable than the BMWs.

Probably easier to find wood in the Mercedes too. Leather however might be Artico.
>>>guessed about a year since you got the Cactus

Yep it crept up on us too when we suddenly realised after return from our hols we had little over a month to find a used car. From experience we rarely find the right car in under a month of searching (mostly private).

Cactus has been a brilliant second car for past 18mths.

Of course I still have my 2002 BMW 525 Tourer which amazingly has now been ours for 3yrs 3mths so quite well in the groove of BMW maintenance and their issues.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 12:12
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Zero

>> Cactus has been a brilliant second car for past 18mths.

Phew, Had visions of you coming on here telling me what a PoS it had been!
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - VxFan
>> Phew, Had visions of you coming on here telling me what a PoS it had been!

It's probably been a bit prickly around the edges ;)
Miss the edit window.

Thinking about it, the model-level reliability for all those models will be heavily weighted to diesel. That will hurt the BMWs, whose diesels I would not want to own at 7 years old. Their petrols might be more comparable to Mercedes's.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 12:14
My 525 is a 6cyl diesel and at 15yrs and 150k mls plus apart from oil changes and filters the engine has only needed a fan belt plus one EGR clean. So I'd be very happy to run another BMW with the same era engine.

Sadly though... at least with the 4cyls and maybe the 6cyl too... they introduced unreliability into the timing chain around 2007 so need checking with huge care in the age range we're looking... engine out job to replace.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 12:19
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - MD
>>Sadly though... at least with the 4cyls and maybe the 6cyl too... they introduced unreliability into the timing chain around 2007 so need checking with huge care in the age range we're looking... engine out job to replace.

My very respected mechanic friend has said that BMW diesel lumps had their timing belts moved from the front to the rear of the lump around late 07 early 08. Doh!
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Hard Cheese

>> My very respected mechanic friend has said that BMW diesel lumps had their timing belts
>> moved from the front to the rear of the lump around late 07 early 08.
>> Doh!
>>

The affected engine is the N47, built between around early 07 to mid to late 10 IIRC.Later ones were modified and many affected ones were modified under warranty with history on BMWS system.
>>>had their timing belts moved from the front to the rear of the lump

Chain not belt if you don't mind me correcting... but yes the point still stands... had they left it on the front then a routine.. if unwelcome... could at least be undertaken.

But it's worse than that as the problems weren't confined to the chain... on some the bottom sprocket was poorly made which wore the chain... and the sprocket was welded to the crankshaft so a massive amount of work needed to resolve a noisy chain on such models.

Doh indeed!!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 12 Aug 17 at 22:27
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Paul Robinson
Will watch this with interest - I don't think it will be an easy search!
Indeed Paul. Particularly as Mrs F will not have white or black cars and is very reluctant over greys and silver. Interior also needs to be light leather and in the case of BMWs prefer wood(ish) trim to silver... but I'd be happy to change the trim over from a breakers car.

So the majority of this class of car in their company car specs/colours are rejected straight away. And that's before you get onto the fake private sellers, missing history and all the normal buying used guff.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Runfer D'Hills
My own money would go on a Merc every time given your brief. But, a BMW would run it close. You say it must be a diesel, and if that's your dynamic preference then fair enough, but newer 318 petrols are not at all bad on fuel,if that's the main thinking behind it.
Enjoy your search ! Good to see you back, hope you find you want to stick around. Your contributions were always a good read. ( even if you were a bit, well, "mistaken" sometimes on the subject of primitive manuals v altogether more gentlemanly autos ! )
;-)
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - DP
I wouldn't be too keen on a four cylinder BMW diesel out of warranty. The N47 suffers from a few common, expensive issues, the most notable being premature timing chain failure. As the timing chain is at the rear of the engine, it's an engine-out job to replace it. If it fails in service, the engine is toast.

Despite having the so-called "upgraded" parts, the engine in my 2012 F30 320d had a noisy timing chain from about 1500 miles. It never got any worse, and BMW weren't prepared to do anything about it (and it wasn't my car), so after reporting it a couple of times (and covering myself), I ignored it. It got progressively noisier over 60,000 miles but didn't let go. At that time, BMW were all over Watchdog and other consumer mags for their appalling response to this problem, and were burying their heads well and truly in the sand.

All engines up to early 2013 production can suffer from this issue. Best avoided, IMO.
Runfer thanks for the comments. Yep diesel by choice... illogical perhaps but there it is. Don't get me started on the auto thing... I'm still struggling to come to terms with mine having that weird RWD. Thank goodness for stability control!

Yep the timing chain is a big issue DP and I realise the fixes didn't always fix. Might take a risk on the ideal car if currently quiet but the other alternative is to stick to 2006 or early 2007 with the old series engine.... they are easily identified in ads where the underbonnet is shown.

Forgetting the engine issue swinging choice to Mercedes which seem far better for chain life we find the 3-series a bit small and the 5-series a bit large. The C-class seems to fall between them... that's the impression anyway.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 14:13
I understand you want a manual diesel, so this is just a comment rather than a suggestion for you, but if I wanted a sitting room environment with wood and leather I'd imagine a Lexus, maybe a GS 300, in metallic red or blue with beige or cream seats:)
You did say alternatives welcome:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707287802612
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 16:55
Indeed Paul.

A very good pick for our taste and a very good contender for replacing the old 5-series (if it ever dies)... but a little bit too much company director style for Mrs F as her own car. I know and have seen quite a few women with a C-class as a daily drive though... but not an XF.

We have looked at XJ and S-type Jaguar too but they are similarly wrong for Mrs F... much as we like the old school style.

Lexus another good pick Manatee... we've spent a bit of time seriously considering them, researching, looking at them in car parks etc but neither of us are drawn to them despite their merits.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Bill Payer
Who'll be doing the maintenance? If you're relying on garages then do you have a trusty indie on hand for whichever marque you're thinking of? You presumably already have BMW already sorted.
Doing my own work. Everything short of engine/transmission removal. To be honest without that it would not be a sensible move for us buying a middle aged larger car.

As an example I've just put £125 of brake parts bought at best prices onto daughters older Polo... the garage quote all in to do this work was close on £600.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - legacylad
Fenlander
I'm away to the Alps 1/18 September for perambulation along the GR5. You are welcome to borrow my 11 plate Tdci 1,6 Focus whilst I'm overseas if you haven't got sorted.
I take delivery of my new car later September, and when I have a more specific date will market it accordingly. I don't want to sell it too early just in case of any delay in delivery!
Petrol 3-Series, the 2.0 4 cyl in 150 or 170 bhp is great, our 120i is very sweet on 104k miles and will do over 40 mpg on a run. Otherwise an M47 163bhp 320d or an N47 177bhp with dealer history of camchain work. BMWs better to drive tham MPs of that era.
>> BMWs better to drive than MPs of that era.
>>

MBs that should say ...
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 17:10
LL that is an exceptionally generous offer and much appreciated. While we would ideally like to have a replacement before the Cactus goes Mrs F can use mine for her work run and being retired I don't *have* to go anywhere in the week plus at home daughter has car left here two days a week.... then there's the bicycle.

Anyway I'm not sure your car needs the revvy cleanout of Mrs F's driving.... she arrived here from work one day via her usual cross country run with the brakes on my Alfa actually emitting smoke as if a bonfire under each front wheel arch!

Thanks again... a very kind offer.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Mark
How about one of these?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708037988135

A bit left field I know, but not one of the disliked colours and leather and wood.

(false postcode used in search)
(No need for a postcode (false or otherwise) needed to be included in the URL. See amended link)

As always

Mark
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 16:58
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Mike H
>> How about one of these?
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708037988135
>>

Looks a spiffing car. If I were in the market, and not living 1000 miles away, I'd be taking a good look at that!

(In case it's sold when the link is clicked on, it's a 4x4 Superb with cream leather in a rather nice deep red colour).
Offer stands
Living in t'Dales revvy cleanouts are de rigeur on my country jaunts.
Smoking brakes however would be a new experience
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 11 Aug 17 at 17:29
Mark that is an excellent spot. Meets our spec so closely.

We are unlikely to buy from a dealer but it's caused us to look at the Superb as a concept in detail. Always been slightly ill at ease with the front and rear styling but the interior has exactly the look we're (actually she's) after.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - RichardW
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58296

You know it makes sense!!
Ha ha... I sort of know what you mean but in truth I've never much liked the C6. More importantly though this is a car for Mrs F's daily use and really she should be buying a Golf (or A-class MB would be my choice) so a step up in bulk to a 3-series or C-class is plenty.

The Jaguar XF, Skoda Superb and similar others are just too large... this isn't about a crafty toy for me... it's what she wants.

We are sitting down this am with the yearly Top Gear test drive directory of every car... 2007 and 2011 copies... having a good thrash through.

I thought there were others on here who had good experience of BMW and Mercedes around the years we were thinking... RP for one re BMWs?? Also I seem to remember someone having a C-class on loan and hating the noisy 4cyl diesel?? I'd be really interested to hear of driving/owning experiences.

BTW did Alanovic disappear... I thought he'd bought an older E-class... wonder how that suited him?
Alanovich, WDB and Espada all have older E class estates. But, none of them come here anymore. I'm still in touch with them on another forum. All seem to have had pretty good experiences with their cars (except AV of course who had some suspension issues which are now resolved)

I'm on my second new E class estate, the first went on to nearly 200,000 miles in 5 years faultlessly. The second one is now 14 months old and is up to 46,000 so far without any problems.

For my fairly specific purposes, they are pretty much the perfect car. Love it to bits. Would have another in a heartbeat.
Thanks Runfer... I've just spent an intensive 30mins using search which has thrown up loads from around 2011/2012 on BMWs and a little on C-class MBs.

Not too much negative on the C-class apart from some finding the 4cyl diesel noisy but I think that is from the perspective of someone who normally had a more refined car.

Worryingly those posts show quite a spread of reliability issues on fairly new BMWs... worse than my 15yr old one seemingly. All seem to agree the BMW diesel engines are fantastic and the driving dynamics excellent.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - henry k
I noticed Espada on a non motoring site recently
I had a 2014 C250 estate 2014-16 (last of the W204, so the same model range as you're considering). At that time you could only have the C250 as AMG sports edition and I rapidly tired of the sports suspension and was glad to give it back after 2 years. This may have coloured other feelings, as I never really took to the car. Fit and finish was no better than our Cmax, it had 3 significant faults in 2 years, which I don't expect from a new car. I found the front seats too low and that bugged me too. Yes, the engine is very noisy when you push it, I think that's worse with the twin turbos on the C250, but it was much more quiet when cruising. You can't fault the power and economy.

I much prefer the Octavia Scout. My Wife enjoyed driving the C250, but she wasn't using it on a daily basis. A C220Cdi SE is probably very different.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Duncan
I have had two E Class estates. The first one a 320CDI, I took up to 215,000 miles. It required a gearbox overhaul at 155,000.

My current E, a 220CDI, I bought in 2008 when it was five months old. It's now done 95,000 miles and I am very happy with it. I retired six years ago, so it doesn't do the mileage now. The four cylinder engine is not as smooth as the six - not surprising.

Would I buy another one? Yes.
Never had a C class so no personal experience, but I have heard it said that they seem much noisier than the E classes.

My E is like driving around on a particularly comfortable sofa. Which may not sound terribly exciting, but on my mileage and usage it's just the ticket.
Just been to look at a 60 plate C200CDI SE trim. Didn't bother to test drive but just starting and blipping the engine it was obvious while noiser than my 6cyl and probably how it would be in an E-class it was fine after the Cactus.

The car did bring a slight change in Mrs F's thinking about that size of vehicle for just her 90% of the time... more discussion along those lines tonight!

However... and I may be picky... the interior plastics (dash, door trims etc) felt more Ford/Citroen plasticy than I'd have expected. Certainly not as nice as my old 5-series or a 2007 5-series we've looked at.

Overall though it seemed quite an impressive car and may have drawn us in had it been a cream leather interior.... which nearly made the salesman gag at the thought anyone would make that choice when we mentioned it.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 12 Aug 17 at 18:37
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - PeterS
Just my observations on MB interiors but, until recently, the focus seems to have been much more on substance than form. The W/S211 E class (previous but one generation, if that makes sense) combined the two quite successfully. It's successor looked cheaper, though actually felt more solid, and also looked less stylish IMO. The previous generation C class, which I think is what you are talking about suffered similarly I think.

The cars themselves are very solid, and the interiors prettying indestructible in normal use, but they just done look that special. Not helped by MB in the UK driving everyone down the 'AMG Sport' route, making black the only option. Elegance gave you the target on the bonnet and the option of great or beige interiors, but I think it was dropped around 2011/12. A very small number of AMG Sport ones came with pale grey 'leather' / cloth sports seats, with black carpets / door casings / dash and these look very nice I think :)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708108226496

But spend any time in a C class of this generation with 200k plus miles on the colc, and it'll feel exactly the same s is did when new in terms of solidity in my experience :)
Thanks Peter. I will agree it is sometimes hard to judge between actual quality and a perception of quality achieved through the look and feel of materials. It has to be said VW/Audi and BMW seem to do a little better on the latter than MB.... at least in the age and type we're considering.

Re your linked car ad just to demonstrate how picky we are no too keen on the part light interiors where the carpets and lower door panels are still black... BMW do this on some models.

As an example this is our ultimate interior colour/style (scroll through images)... www.junction17cars.co.uk/used-car-details/Mercedes-Clk-U954/

We've looked at that car and despite being older than we want had it been more genuine might have been tempted... but it was at a dealer and I struggle with the half truths and downright lies.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 11:06

>> Re your linked car ad just to demonstrate how picky we are no too keen
>> on the part light interiors where the carpets and lower door panels are still black...
>> BMW do this on some models.
>>
>> As an example this is our ultimate interior colour/style (scroll through images)... www.junction17cars.co.uk/used-car-details/Mercedes-Clk-U954/
>>
>> We've looked at that car and despite being older than we want had it been
>> more genuine might have been tempted... but it was at a dealer and I struggle
>> with the half truths and downright lies.
>>

Then I think you'll have to look at 'elegance' spec in the c class, and I believe that was dropped at the face lift...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708118254081

But, you do get the bonnet gunsight, so not all bad ;)
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Dog
>>www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708118254081

Nice one, a lot of car for little money. The ole woman says it looks like an old fuddy duddies car.
She's always been, um, difficult, knowlmean.
Or, you go up a size to the e class
This one has a lovely light interior, and the proper MB bonnet attachment
It's also a V8 petrol, but at a price lower than your budget
£2k pays for a lot of fuel vs the 2.1 diesel... :p
Yep that's the interior style we want but not with tarmac grey paint. E-class far too big... got to remember all Mrs F *needs* is a Golf or A-Class... she just wants these slightly bigger cars.

I'm working on that aspect at this very moment!!
>> Yep that's the interior style we want but not with tarmac grey paint. E-class far
>> too big... got to remember all Mrs F *needs* is a Golf or A-Class... she
>> just wants these slightly bigger cars.
>>
>> I'm working on that aspect at this very moment!!
>>

You want a Mercedes that's not grey...?!? Assuming that silver counts as light grey, and black as dark I reckon that just leaves you dark blue!
Yep that is making the search quite challenging. Red is out as it is prone microblisters on Mercedes.

We have a nice dark met green we're wondering about viewing... plus there is (but rarely) a light met blue.... oh yes and gold... we like gold.
>>
>>
>> We have a nice dark met green we're wondering about viewing... plus there is (but
>> rarely) a light met blue.... oh yes and gold... we like gold.
>>
So did Gert Frobe. Do you call your better half Oddjob?
>> Just been to look at a 60 plate C200CDI SE trim.

Bear in mind that before the circa 2009 model face lift, MB cars with the COMAND fitted sat nav only had 5 character post code, rather than the 7 character post code that the UK uses.

If the factory fitted sat nav is at all important to you, get a demonstration that it will accept UK 7 character post codes.
Thanks... in truth we'd be pleased to avoid factory nav on an older car due to possible unreliability and issues getting updated. OK so both those things are resolvable but far easier to get a £80 maps for life Garmin in Halfords.
>>>I had a 2014 C250 estate 2014-16 (last of the W204, so the same model range as you're considering).

Thanks Paul... a useful review.

>> BTW did Alanovic disappear... I thought he'd bought an older E-class... wonder how that suited
>> him?

Hes on another site, where his second hand car buying antics amuse us. The shonky old E class ended up listing like the titanic, and and to have the air suspension replaced. He's nursing a suspect Turbo and gearbox.
What izzit with all these German cars?? .. don't other countries, like England etc. etc make good cars anymore??

Sooooo many on this forum buying BMW's, Mercedes, VW's, Audi's, Skoda, even Porsche :(

Why keep sending our £££'s to the k****s.! Snobbery? .. keeping up with the Jones (Fritz??)

I notice Remoaners like Runfer, Beest, Alanovich, Know-it-all, CG/N, R.P, Cheeseman, legacylad, Duncan etc. etc. like to support the booming German economy while car production in England is down for the third month in a row:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/100287/uk-car-industry-production-down-for-third-month-in-a-row
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 08:25
Market forces Dog... you buy what you want for your needs. Buying "British built" would limit us to Japanese style things which we've never been drawn to... an Astra... or niche boys toys.

Snobbery is a fair accusation but so far off the modest way we choose to live. Simple fact is we have now owned well over 80 cars and I've worked on and driven many more. If the Germans have made what we currently need they'll get our vote.... but I'm not sure a 7-10yr old used car will tilt the economy too much.

Anyway before worrying about our tiny effect on UK cashflow you have work to do getting the diesel buses and lorries off the road before they start tinkering with diesel car availability.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 09:50
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Pat
www.sbrcentre.co.uk/news/2017/february/supermarket-paves-the-way-to-replacing-diesel-in-truck-haulage-in-its-operations/

It's already being looked at in other ways than electric.

Pat
Thanks Pat... genuinely interested to read that.

Wasn't having a pop at you or your colleagues... just that I think there are far bigger fish to fry in the whole private/public/commercial transport area then our choice of used car.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Pat
No, I realised that fenlander.

It is a very real concern for all hauliers at the moment.

I don't think electric HGV's are ever going to be able to go the distance and this does seem to be a viable alternative at the moment.

The initial cost is a concern though.

Pat
 Bio fuelled lorries - sherlock47
They (manufacturers) make the claim that the increased capital cost will be covered by fuel cost savings over the projected 5 year life. Not sure that this will be true once government discovers a shortfall in fuel tax revenues and has to find new ways to generate income. The (today) favorable rates to encourage users to adopt new technologies will soon increase.

Food costs then increase! But not necessarily a problem if it results in less food being eaten by lardy taxi & lorry drivers :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 11:11
Here's my olde jalopy, Fenderlander, if you haven't been tuning in to the forum of late:

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/32549314682/in/dateposted-public/

I looked at Teutonic chariots of a similar age/value, but reliability always come first on my list of requirements so, being I drive automatics I decided to look east, east of Swindon, Wiltshire that is :)

Like you, I've owned a hell-of-a-lot of cars and vans since the 1970's, and worked on c10,000 when I was 'in the game', maybe that explains why I haven't bought any German car since the 1980's

My German 'ladyfriend' always drove Mercedes and looked down on me for buying a 525e, she reckoned that Mercedes were far safer in any pile up. Whether that still stands I don't know.
Thanks for that Dog... interesting to see what you have now. I've always been wary of the "Japanese are the only reliable car" car brigade and as over the decades they have been a long way from my favoured "living room" style interior I've never really cast a glance their way.

However 2yrs ago daughter bought a neighbours 15yr old Jazz with 100k on the clock and it's a most impressive car. Not only as a car to use but being fault free other than services for the whole 2yrs. Very impressive for £800.

We have considered "lumpy" cars such as 4x4 & SUV etc to give Mrs F that feeling of size/safety but I'm trying to avoid as we live in a neat cul-de-sac where normal cars on the drive fit in better and don't block the view from the front window.

If we still lived in the Fens with our old 6 car drive and oversize workshop/garage I think she'd have a Range Rover or Discovery by now.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 14:11
>>2yrs ago daughter bought a neighbours 15yr old Jazz with 100k on the clock and it's a most impressive car

I'm suitably impressed Fl, the car must have been well looked after over the years, or is it just the Honda reliability? .. my 14 year-old Honda Izy mower is still going strong even though I forget the last time I changed the oil.

>>We have considered "lumpy" cars such as 4x4 & SUV etc

Runfer calls them sitty uppy cars, and he's right! .. The CR-V is even more sitty uppy than my previous Subaru Forester SUV. My wife drives the thing mainly, it's the EX model so has just about every extra, not that I use the toys, but I do use the reversing cam, and the front parking sensors come in handy with all the Cornish hedges outside my gate.

When I mentioned 'up thread' about forum members and their Teutonic chariots, I had in mind the buyers of new £40-£50,000 cars, not you with your £7000 diesel jobbie.

;-)

Yep I guess on the whole the Jazz had been cared for. One family next door but one to us from new and always serviced/repaired but not totally fastidious.

However much of the later life reliability is probably due to my pro-active maintenance. Had a budget of £1500 for daughter's first car so rather than spending £1500 on the car we spent £800 plus £700 getting it spot on. All new premium tyres, battery, major all filters service, new aircon rad, new exhaust, discs/pads, alloys refurbed and so on. After that it has coasted for two years with just a pair of wiper blades needed.

And for this proposed up to £7k car for Mrs F there is budget to do just the same... hopefully with the same result.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 17:05
Howls about taking Mrs Fl along to see/drive this, but not telling her what it is until she gets there.
I feel sure she will be suitably impressed :)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708048026184

>> www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/32549314682/in/dateposted-public/

Car, old git, dogs, sweet little puppy, logs, dogs.
>> What izzit with all these German cars?? .. don't other countries, like England etc. etc
>> make good cars anymore??

What would you call an English (British) car?

Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota? Or do you simply mean a car assembled in this country?
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - rtj70
I wonder what Dog's current British car is?

And what current British estate car has the same carrying/load capacity as a Mercedes E Class estate?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 12:10
Must say my wife's SUV ( Sitty Uppy Vehicle ) which is vaguely British in so far as it was originally bolted and glued together in Sunderland, continues to do well despite her best efforts. It'll be 10 years old next Easter but soldiers on with quiet efficiency. Of course it has needed brakes and tyres and so on over the years, but it has never given her any unexpected mechanical problems. It has a few battle scars here and there, but I'm really quite fond of it in the way you could be about an old faithful dog, with a bit of its ear and a tooth missing.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Clk Sec
>> It has a few battle scars here and there, but I'm really quite fond of it in the way you could be about an old faithful dog, with a bit of its ear and tooth missing<<

Similar thoughts on my ageing barge. A mirror image, so to speak.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - The Melting Snowman
>> >> It has a few battle scars here and there, but I'm really quite fond
>> of it in the way you could be about an old faithful dog, with a
>> bit of its ear and tooth missing<<
>>
>> Similar thoughts on my ageing barge. A mirror image, so to speak.
>>

Similar thoughts about my missus :-)
>>What would you call an English (British) car?

I say England because there are no car assembly plants in Wales, Scotland, or NI ... to my knowledge.

>>I wonder what Dog's current British car is?

We only have/need the one car, which is the Honda - Assembled in Swindon, England, from Japanese and EU sourced parts ... including Bosch surprisingly enough (surprised me anyway)
>> I say England because there are no car assembly plants in Wales, Scotland, or NI ... to my knowledge.

But Aston Martin is building one in Wales. And Toyota and Ford both make engines in Wales.

>> Honda - Assembled in Swindon, England, from Japanese and EU sourced parts

They might need to source more locally after BREXIT or the prices may rise.
Something I learned last week about Dacia was they assemble some of the cars in Morocco. Perhaps explains lower costs.

The plant is always said to be carbon neutral for which Renault should be congratulated.
>>Aston Martin is building one in Wales. And Toyota and Ford both make engines in Wales.

Okay, okay, the term is British-built from now on.

(*_*)
Jaguae, Land Rover.
>> Jaguae, Land Rover.
>>

No thanks.
>> >> Jaguae, Land Rover.
>> >>
>>
>> No thanks.
>>

Eh? The point was British built cars.
>> >> No thanks.
>> >>
>>
>> Eh? The point was British built cars.
>>

My point was that I didn't/don't fancy a Jagwar or a Land rover.

Jaguars, I think they quite literally are a waste of space. All those acres of tin at the front and rear. Don't like it.

LandRover? Too unreliable.

If it's got to be British built, then I will go for a Toyota. I am not sure which models are built here? Avensis?
>>I am not sure which models are built here? Avensis?

Yup.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Avant
Fenlander, you think (probably rightly) that she needs a Golf.....she wants a BMW or Mercedes. Perhaps you could both settle for an Audi - A3 or A4 or A4 Avant depending on the size she needs.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 23:37
There are a lot of 1-Series in SE spec around many with a light interior, leather or cloth.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - CGNorwich
Probably a mistake to allow colour and trim to affect buying decision when viewing second hand cars. Condition is everything in my view
HC she's not to keen on the rear styling of the 1-series and they are perhaps a bit small... they seem lower down to sit in than a Golf. The other thing is all the 1-series diesels in budget as far as I know are in the timing chain problem range... we have decided if we do buy a BMW 3/5 series it will be early 2007 at newest to get the old series engine.

CGN... that's a fair comment and very much applies if you want to buy a car any one weekend where choosing a particular colour narrows the possibilities. But we are looking intensively up to 200mls away over a period of 4wks so it is much more likely our tight spec will be met... eventually. Local far preferred but we will travel.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 14 Aug 17 at 08:58
The 1-Series is great to drive, and has aged well IMO, I'd go petrol though a pre-facelift 120d has the more reliable M47 engine and 163bhp/350nm makes them quite brisk.
Thanks for correcting me re diesel engine... might just re-look at an earlier one.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Clk Sec
>> Probably a mistake to allow colour and trim to affect buying decision when viewing second
>> hand cars.

Possibly so, but one might prefer to avoid yellow or pale green...
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - CGNorwich
I don't think BMW or Mercedes do those colours do they?

If I was buying a 7 or eight year old Ford or Peugeot say and there was an outstanding condition vehicle in one of those colours I would go for it though. I would also get it cheap because other punters like yourself had rejected it solely because of its colour. :-)
A smallish hatch can look really good in bright yellow... and actually I like light met green on a large car....

www.flickr.com/photos/paddyspig/16080241872

Even has nice beige leather.
I had a Capri that colour .. H reg 1600 GT XLR :)
I see they have taken the swastika flags off the front wings.

Edit: My mistake - I see it is the same age as I am - b. 1953.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 14 Aug 17 at 09:55
Ha ha my Capri was yellow... so we have those two colours covered.

Here is an example of exactly the car colour/trim combo we are looking for.. shame it's not a diesel... perhaps flexing that inflexible rule should be considered?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708037998243

Mind you it's a Manchester car... don't know or do that area at all.... bit like the void south of Biggleswade and east of Devon & Cornwall.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Bobby
Assume she wouldnt be interested in a B Class?
In some cases you can get lots of car for very little money!
And FWD (if relevant)
I only have two experiences of a B-class... the cattery owner where we used to go had a brand new one when they first came out and it caused us to ponder on the charges we were paying... and both my Top Gear yearbooks from 2007 and 2011 are quite negative about them compared to their glowing A-class review.

It's a good call though... I'll do some digging.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Avant
Avoid the diesel B-class: I had one with CVT and the drone was worse than a London taxi. A B200 petrol might be a lot better, although I still think that some form of Audi might suit Mrs F.
That is a known problem with the CVT B-class... and a large proportion were sold with that gearbox. Hopefully a manual would be OK.

Audi... now that's a hard one. Despite campaigning over the years on this and other forums in support of timing belts being no trouble I am very much enjoying my 5 series and daughter's Jazz having chains.... and the Audi's need half the front to come off to do a belt... what a right pain.

So that's one point. And then neither of us have seen one that we fancy. I accept all their qualities but they just don't draw us in. In truth if we were to have an "Audi" it ought to be a Golf!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Aug 17 at 08:55
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Bobby
The CVT was replaced by a 7 speed auto at some point a few years ago.
Here's a possible left field suggestion - a Lexus CT200?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707117271250

Interesting idea but whatever we get needs to have service parts readily available from ECP and good forum based support for tech and procedures so I can mainly self maintain. Middle age BMW, Mercedes and Alfa for example are very well catered for in that area.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Crankcase
Inevitably - something in the Volvo world might be worth a thought?
I quite like the C30 and we have looked at a couple.

Something like this does appeal a bit...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707297841974
Gutted to find this was sold when I phoned at 8.30am. That was everything we wanted in spec, trim, colour, history etc...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708108219659

Under priced too.
>> Gutted to find this was sold when I phoned at 8.30am.

That's a shame, looks ideal to me too. Nice looking car. People have scoffed, but I have always preferred 'gold' (met beige) to 'silver' (met grey).

I had a really sand coloured CRV in about 2002-5. 'Mojave Mist' I think it was called!
In our colour choices I don't think I mentioned met gold but on many cars it's a favourite. Unusual too... of 2700 3 series in our broad price range just 4 gold ones.
Howls about something along these lines Fenderlander:

www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motoring/1966-lotus-cortina-mk-immeasurably-brilliant-original-fast-ford/
Amazingly Dog last night we were looking at classic car ads on www.carandclassic.co.uk/ and wondering "what if".

But if we ever ran a classic it would be as a third car. Mrs F needs something which as well as the current daily work commute can whoosh her on a grotty winter's day from Cambs to Midlands and back with max safety and reliability.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 09:00
I'd like to run an olde classic British car. I'm an old age pensioner come next month, and this cottage was flung up in 1790 but, as much as I admire these 'ere classic and vintage cars, the thought of having to pull that choke out and wondering if it will start in the morning ...!

Great to use as a weekender though, I fell madly/badly in luv with a white Triumph TR5 on 'put your money where your mouth is' recently. Not that I ever watch daytime TV you understand.

:}

Nice Beemer that 320d BTW
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 09:56
Talking TRs.

Have a mate with a 1968 TR6 which he's owned for 35+yrs and not run for 30yrs. Sits in a lock up and he says it will get done one day.

Also there's this in the next village... goo.gl/maps/2PTsByWRor12

TR4a or 5? Been there 6+yrs... perhaps much longer. Neat bungalow and the other car is a clean modern hatch... weird.
TR5 by the looks of it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR5#/media/File:Triumph_TR5_PI_Front.jpg

I wouldn't fancy playing around with its mechanical fuel injection though. I tuned a few of those back in the day and they were a PITA TBH. Gimme a nice pair of Strombergs any day.
Yep dad had a new 2500PI estate in 1972/3 which gave injection trouble within months... and the Triumph dealer knew so little of the system they were hopeless at sorting it.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - commerdriver
>> the thought of having to pull that choke out and wondering if it will start in the morning ...!
>>
From experience, fit electronic ignition and 95% of that worry disappears, assuming the carb is in reasonable nick.
>>assuming the carb is in reasonable nick.

Ah, well there ya go ... variable venturi carbs anyone??

:}
For anyone that has any interest in middle age car buying...

We missed out on two private cars which were quite a distance away and the only two we really fancied over a 3wk period of staring at Autotrader. All the dealer cars we'd seen to this point had missing history, were covered in Mr Dent sized parking dings or shod with Chinese tyres etc. So when we went to a localish dealer this am out of boredom really we were not expecting much but he had a few possibles.

Amazingly he had the most genuine and cleanest car we'd found to date so now Mrs F has a...

2007 CLK CDI 220 Sport with tasteful OE AMG bodykit. 113,00mls recorded. Met silver with light leather interior.

1st owner 7ys all MB services inc important 40k autobox oil change... stamped book and invoices. 2nd owner 3yrs invoices from his local garage. All MOT certs & handbooks etc. Amazingly clean with not one ding or scratch anywhere and a boot that looked as if nothing more than a briefcase has been in it.

Bought as "trade" with me to do the B service which was showing as 43 days overdue. Needs two rear tyres (well they have just under 3mm but rather start off with them good. Fronts OK at 5mm.

Not found one single thing that doesn't work so far and drives without fault.

In truth over the moon we've found something so nice... on behalf of Mrs F of course. But I do have it for the first week while I do the service, check it over and get the tyres.

I agree with others that have said the 4cyl engine is a bit noisy at idle and when revving but quite acceptable. The sport handling/ride is well balanced... amazed how good the ride is considering 18" alloys with 35 profile rear tyres.

Finish gives a better impression of quality than the 60 plate C-class I commented on a few posts back.. I guess as in some ways the CLK is a E-class target market coupe.

BTW I found the other forum and read the whole thread of Alanovic's E class.... I hope we have a bit better luck re turbo and autobox.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 19 Aug 17 at 18:04
Sounds lovely Fenlander. Hope Mrs F gets a lot of pleasure from owning it.
Very pleased you are now sorted, with just a few compromises. I think the autobox suits the Merc and I hope you both enjoy it. I reluctantly had my first auto at 19 (a Triumph 2000) because the car was far too good to refuse otherwise. I've had plenty of manuals since, but given a straight choice between two otherwise identical cars I's always opt for the auto.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Roger.
I need an auto these days due to lack of feeling in trotters causing kangaroo starts.
Dee and I have, in our dotage, come to prefer an auto. There, I've said it !
Doesn't half cut down ones choice buying used, though.
We're going to run our Jazz CVT until it, (or us,!) pegs out.
Passed it's MOT fine late last month and a drain and refill of CVT fluid, as an extra to it's annual service, has ameliorated the start clutch judder.
The job I’m going out to do now is a bit weird. Before our hols I serviced and MOT’d my BMW so it was tip top for Devon and it whooshes us there and back with ease despite a monster load and has done very few miles since.

Then we arrive back with the Mercedes Sat pm and I open our garage to put it in for a service... the BMW which was driven in without fault now has (in the privacy of a quiet garage) pumped up its air suspension at the back one side in a sort of Germanic shrug... protest against its newly arrived competitor I guess.

Suspension failing one side is fair enough but to go up is a bit more unusual.

Anyway in an hour I will have found something very simple... or very expensive. German cars eh... who’d have them.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 11:10
Just to finally round off...

Major all filters service now completed. All brakes stripped, checked and Copaslip'd, a good year plus life in them. Both plip batteries replaced (ha ha). Pair rear tyres (Dunlop 255/35x18) fitted. Also bought a set of premium fully fitted mats in grey to pick up on the grey seats and part grey door panels.

Only small issue found was that it runs a little cool. Common problem once the stats reach 10yrs old. Also routinely fitting a new aux drive belt plus sprung tensioner. Those jobs are this Saturday's task.

Apart from that the car is faultless with every single driving system** and electronic gizmo working. Auto lights & wipers, heated & 4-way air comfort seats, rear headrests that fold from a button on the dash, heated and auto dimming door mirrors, parking sensors F & R, headlamp washers, steering wheel paddle shift for gearbox, tyre pressure warning etc etc. From other cars we'd already looked at it was common to find at least one or two of these things faulty at this age.

**Testing the stability control has taken a bit of nerve as those huge rear tyres grip so well... but I did eventually manage to trigger it so good to know that helping hand is there.

Total expenditure £565... given £255 of that was tyres and £45 for carpet mats this has been one of the cheapest post-purchase mid-life service/overhauls we've had... easiest and quickest too.

Fingers crossed it behaves as the months roll on.

Btw... bought a brilliant make specific code reader for it... iCarsoft i980 under £90 which very quickly went through the historic insignificant stored codes... the car even records and stores blown bulb codes. So we start with a clean sheet.

Pics (if it works) in Tesco, interior (pre new mats) & engine.

i68.tinypic.com/2a5hoc0.jpg

i64.tinypic.com/2hyi2hc.jpg

i68.tinypic.com/2mx35au.jpg

note: the photos didn't require the IMG tag
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Sep 17 at 16:32
Nice motor guvnor, my ole woman likes it too. Not over keen on the colour of the leather though.
I prefer darker colours for the int. like the tomb-like black leather in my CR-V.
Thats so classicaly smart and elegant.
Looking very good! Hope you get lots of pleasure from it.

My Scout goes back Ling in March - I'll have to decide what to do about that soon....
Thanks guys. Actually your comment Zero was just what we said when first looking round it after the slightly larger and more angular/clunky style of newer C-class which was also considered.

However there is a fine line between classically smart and elegant... and just plain old. I've seen several cars cross this boundary over the years and we may carry it through that period if we keep it a while.

Yep the interior colour is a very personal thing Dog. A dealer with a 2010 C-class we looked at said for the usual target buyer he only bought in dark metallic with black leather.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 12 Sep 17 at 08:21
However there is a fine line between classically smart and elegant... and just plain old. I've seen several cars cross this boundary over the years and we may carry it through that period if we keep it a while.

Now that is worthy of a thread of its own. Which cars have managed to stay on one side of that boundary, which have crossed over, and indeed which ones have crossed the boundary only to come back over again later.
 BMW 3/5 series or MB C-Class. Diesel/used/to £7k. - Boxsterboy
Mrs BB has this model CLK, but convertible and with the petrol compressor engine. She loves driving hers - they are not sports cars, rather waft/feel-good cars. Hers is 10 years old and we have found that the gas struts for the boot are under-engineered and the plastic ends break - not sure if it is cabriolet only thing, but worth looking at. 1 minute to replace! The retaining clip on her glove box is also broken - just trying to find the time to look into that!
That's interesting BB. Agree not a sports car but with it's sport suspension and over size AMG wheels/tyres ours handles way better than my E39 5-series. The CLK is too cumbersome on very twisty country roads but on more open landscapes where you can maintain 50+ it's great. You are right about the feel-good factor... again it is better than my BMW in that respect.... possibly though the later 5-series might overturn that?
Entirely subjectively of course, but having owned or had allocated to me most of the major brands over the years, the consistent factor with the Mercedes I've had is indeed the "feel good" element. BMWs are very good indeed, but never deliver more than clinical efficiency for me. Mercs "cosset" you somehow. If you're in the thing for hours, that counts.
Latest Forum Posts