Motoring Discussion > Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - henry k
Learner drivers in England, Wales and Scotland will be allowed to have lessons on the motorway by next year, the government has announced.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40905632

".....lessons would be in a dual-control car with an approved driving instructor."
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Focal Point
"Allowed", but not stipulated, nor examined, I assume.

Fat lot of good that will do.
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Pat
I think it's step in the right direction and probably all that could be done with the lack of motorways in some areas.

Pat
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - CGNorwich
True. It takes me over an hour to reach the nearest motorway.

Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Fenlander
We are lucky (in terms of a great start going anywhere) to live just one minute drive from a 4 lane motorway which forms a normal part of any trip to either local town. It's a real baptism of fire for the newly passed to step out on this road after driving on the taught learner routes.

Mind you the inability to use the motorway properly seems more likely to come from 30-80yr olds from what I see looking across at drivers who don't appear to have a clue.
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - CGNorwich
Since statistically there ar far more 30 to 80 year olds than 17 to 29 year olds that is undoubtedly true.

It's all basically down to experience I fear although a little tuitions would undoubtedly help, focusing on

Joining a motorway
Overtaking safely and lane hogging.
Leaving a motorway

Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Robin O'Reliant
I've often heard people blame inexperience or age for motorway accidents but never seen any statistics to back that up. I've got a feeling it is aggression, impatience or the failure to pay proper attention that is the cause of most motorway accidents, and those are traits found as much or more in experienced drivers drivers who think they know it all as it is in any other group.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 13 Aug 17 at 11:25
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Harleyman
Think I've related this before; I learned to drive in the Army in 1979, the course lasted two weeks. Second week was allowed in case of a first time fail, but if you passed, you went out with the instructor and did supervised motorway driving and learned a few more advanced techniques, what would be called "defensive driving" today.

I found it invaluable, and I certainly feel that it made me a better (or at least, more complete) driver than the majority of "rookies".

Of course, if the M25 is used, it would provide much practice in stop-start driving. ;)
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - Cliff Pope
>> . I've got a feeling it is aggression, impatience or the
>> failure to pay proper attention that is the cause of most motorway accidents,

My hunch would be failure to keep a proper gap between the vehicle ahead.
When you see a cluster of cars overtaking at 80 with about 2 cars' length in between them it must be a pile-up looking for an opportunity.
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - devonite
I don't do a lot of Mway miles, but what I have noticed quite a few times lately is when I'm traveling nicely along in a stream of traffic in the middle lane the number of numpteys in the inside lane that suddenly find themselves up the back of a wagon and decide just to pop out infront of me! - forcing me to leg-it down the outer lane for longer than i would like to try and find a suitable gap to get in again! - so annoying!
 Motorway lessons for learner drivers in 2018 - smokie
I'll bite!!

I assume that was t-i-c Devonite. For the thing which I notice is when I am trying to be a Good Driver by staying in the appropriate lane for my speed, how often I have to pull out from lane 1 to lane 3 or even 4 to overtake the numpties who are cruising along, often under the speed limit, in the lane(s) between lane 1 and the outside lane. And often they take offence, and try to make life difficult (or are simply driving in their own little bubble on autopilot), when I want to move out from lane 1, despite me indicating miles in advance. They are clearly concentrating, and not reading the road ahead, for in similar positions I am often making allowance for drivers on the inside lane to move out before they've even realised they will need to...

I think allowing supervised learners on motorways is no bad thing so long as they are have built up enough confidence. Wasn't that previously covered post-test in Pass Plus?
Latest Forum Posts