Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 60

Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - legacylad
Tomorrow I'm visiting the supplying dealer to finalise delivery of my Focus replacement and he enquired as to whether I wanted to part ex. I've asked for an underwritten valuation, but will probably advertise it both locally and on AT.

Who can get closest to his offer?
Focus Sport 1.6 TDCi 16/03/11. I'm the 3rd owner. Previous owner ( to me) paid £10,800 on 10/03/12. Currently 143k miles, although Ive only driven around 10K miles in it since buying it in June 2016. FSH, immaculate inside, satnav doesn't work ( needs a new SD card I'm told) long MOT, 4 almost new Michelin X Climates, belt & water pump change as soon as I bought it , not that it matters to him. Goes really well .... for a 1.6. Dirt cheap practical motoring
I reckon he'll offer £2k.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Zero

>> I reckon he'll offer £2k.

£3k
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Hard Cheese
Is this the Porsche dealer? On that mileage he'll offer nearer £1k though may negotiate.

I traded my 2002 Mondeo TDCI Ghia X that I had run from new (two owners, my employer and me) in late 2010 when it was 8 years old and 140k miles for a BMW, was offered £1k initially and accepted £1100 though the negotiations included the purchase price so I was happy with the cost to change.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Clk Sec
Similar offer a while back. I won that one, but not even a virtual glass of pop was offered!

£3750 this time.

Apologies Clk Sec
Next time you are in the area let me know. I'll leave you a pint paid on at the Harts Head in Giggleswick ... although now it's been 'poshed up' under new ownership I do more drinking in Settle.
That's very kind, LL. I'll make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Avant
It'll be low because (a) he knows you want the Scottish auto (McCann) and are unlikely to pull out, and (b) he'd have to trade the Focus out because Arthur Punter will turn up his nose, probably wrongly, at the high mileage.

£1500 if you're lucky.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Manatee
It's an underwritten valuation. That means it is from a trader who will buy it for the value quoted even though he/she hasn't seen it.

A Porsche dealer would never retail a run of the mill car so old anyway, even if they would put a Focus on the forecourt - which I doubt.

I have just been offered £300 for my old MX5, with 12 months MoT. I was counting on £400!
Thanks Manatee... I knew that but was curious as to what an underwriter would offer unseen. The dealer promised to let me know... still waiting... he was contacting 3 underwriters apparently.
I'm 99% certain I'll advertise it on AT
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Slightlyfatdirector
I have a horrible feeling you will get a low offer. I will guess £1,150.

What about entering the details on 'we buy any car' and see what it comes up with?

When looking to get rid of old and past-it company cars here we use that as a bench mark and then offer to other staff at a lower price if they are interested, but it tends to give a good bench mark.
Not heard from the main dealer yet, but WBAC offer £1860.
It's cheap, reliable practical motoring....I might have a look at what similar models are advertised at on AT for a private sale, and place an ad.
Or I could knock some money off and advertise locally, put an A4 'For Sale' sign in the car window, even put it on the classifieds here
It will sell for far less than some models depreciate in the first year....

Thanks mr director for the advice
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 23 Aug 17 at 17:54
>> Not heard from the main dealer yet, but WBAC offer £1860.
>>

They will knock you down for every tiny little scratch though, I sold a truly immaculate Clio III to them, superb condition, the offer was reasonable so I took it along, they took a cursory glance at the interior, started the engine and drove it about three feet forward and back again, and then spent 20 minutes looking at the bodywork with a fine tooth comb and assessing it as ifvit were a new car. They then knocked nearly £400 off the offer despite it being brilliant for its year etc. I negotiated including persuading the woman to phone her boss though still accepted £200 less than the online offer. I would be cautious if I used them again.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Duncan
>> >> Not heard from the main dealer yet, but WBAC offer £1860.
>> >>
>>
>> They will knock you down for every tiny little scratch though, .....................
>> They then knocked nearly £400 off the offer despite it being brilliant for its year
>> etc. I negotiated including persuading the woman to phone her boss though still accepted £200
>> less than the online offer. I would be cautious if I used them again.

Were the scratches that they claimed to find, present, or absent?

You didn't have to accept their offer.

>>
>> Were the scratches that they claimed to find, present, or absent?
>>

Broadly present though very minor.

>> You didn't have to accept their offer.
>>

I know though having invested the time and effort I didn't want to be back at square one. Frankly I felt as though I had been dragged along to their site on false pretences as they would never have paid the offer price unless the car was mint which of course it wasn't as it was 8 years old, though it was truly great condition.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - RichardW
Looks about £3.5k on AT - I'd stick it on for £2995 if you wanted to shift it, and accept £2.5. Do you know if it's a 16V or 8V? If the latter I would push that as it's not as bad as the 16V for lunching turbos!
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - bathtub tom
I had a problem valuing the last car I sold (ten-year-old with 50K on the clock), so put it on Gumtree with a speculatively high price to gauge the response.
It sold immediately at that price!
Gumtree's free, with photo's.
Thanks bt
I use Gumtree... I'll advertise it on there next week ( probably) but need to get to Lpool airport on the 1st for my 18 day Alpine jaunt, collecting the new motorcar a few days after I return.
A recent email from the dealer has it underwritten @£1800. I'll advertise it locally @ £2995, then put it on AT & Gumtree at the same price when I return from the Alps after 18/09.
Expecting to be negotiated downwards of course
I win. Expecting £2k, but Avant comes second with £1.5k.
Another pint in the pumps at the Harts Head in Giggleswick or Talbot in Settle

I'll put details on the forum classified section. I'm happy to sell it on there as I am confident that it's a good 'un.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 28 Aug 17 at 12:11
Now home from my Alpine detox regime ( which is ongoing shock horror) and arranged a collection date in early October for my new girly 'sitty uppy ' mobile, I'm just waiting for a dry day to clean and wax the Focus before advertising it on AT & Gumtree.

I'll put up adverts in the local supermarket ( a waste of time) and laminated A4 signs in the car window...anywhere else I could advertise it? I'm not bothered about obtaining the last penny for it, and sadly have no family members who are in need of a cheap good 'un.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Ted

Try it on Fish4Cars website. I've had some success on there. Free as well...or it was.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Duncan
>>
>> I'll put up adverts in the local supermarket ( a waste of time) and laminated
>> A4 signs in the car window...anywhere else I could advertise it?

No joy from the classified on here?

You could try pistonheads.
They may have a qualifying period before you can advertise. If so, sign up soon.
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 22:26
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - VxFan
>> anywhere else I could advertise it?

Shpock it, the boot sale App.

en.shpock.com/
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Dog
Howls about: www.preloved.co.uk/classifieds/cars/ford
Thanks for the advice.
It's been cleaned and valeted this afternoon and now pretty immaculate.... as it normally is. Photos taken...Autotrader advert tomorrow & will market it at £2495.
Now live on AT @ £2595
Heck.... I'm getting cold feet because it's such a good 'un. It has crossed my mind that I should keep it as a cheap reliable runabout, but the diesel wouldn't appreciate that. And I'm on overseas trips every month until next April ( does October in Scotland count walking the Speyside Way?)
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 24 Sep 17 at 13:49
>> Now live on AT @ £2595
>> Heck.... I'm getting cold feet because it's such a good 'un. It has crossed my
>> mind that I should keep it as a cheap reliable runabout, >>

The problem is that there may be a big gap between what you think it's worth and what someone will pay for it due to the high mileage. TBH £2500 seems a lot to me for a 6/7 year old 1.6 diesel Focus with 140k + miles on it. Though I can fully understand that you value it.

I kept my 140k mile Mondeo Ghia X TDCi, that I had since new, for about a year after getting a Focus ST, it had occasional use and seemed no worse for it though I ending up trading it in when I bought one of the BMWs. On paper I got £1100 though the "cost to change" was pretty good so I was happy enough.

Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'm with Cheesy; no offence but that price sounds a trifle steep to me. Don't you want a quick sale?

And it sounds like you're not going to be home much to receive would-be buyers?!

Is your new ubermotor diesel or petrol by the way? Can't remember...!
No offence taken whatsoever. I appreciate the feedback. Having looked at the equivalent on AT yesterday I priced it lower than the others, apart from a slightly older, and higher mileag one in silver. Hence my advertised price of £2595.
I aren't away again until mid October, and only for a week. TBH I'd let it go for about £2k but will see if any interest the next few days, and will advertise elsewhere today as recommended in previous posts.
I paid £2k for it then spent around £800 on a belt & waterpump change, full service and 4 Michelin XClimates, 3 new wiper blades & decent headlight bulbs. So it's been dirt cheap motoring!
My new motor will depreciate far more than that the second I drive it off the forecourt!
It's a GTS Auntie L.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Fenlander
>>>TBH £2500 seems a lot to me for a 6/7 year old 1.6 diesel Focus with 140k + miles on it.

If you refine down the details on AT to match LL's closely you get to 19 cars of which his is the second cheapest so in the ball park.

Then factor in LL's had the timing belt/water pump done in the last 10k plus it's on almost new Michelins and you might be able to value LLs at £300+ over one with the belt overdue and on Chinese tyres.

If I was travelling up to look at his with a view to buying I'd take a wodge of cash to save me going home without it.
Deafening silence so far from the AT advert... time to advertise elsewhere now. Two acquaintances might be interested, but as is the case, they have to dispose of their own vehicles first
.... I'll give it another week or so and see what happens. No desperate rush to sell, although I'd like the drive North to Speyside mid October in the new motor.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - CGNorwich
If no offers on AT after reasonable period it is by definition overpriced. Drop £500.
Agree up to a point. The geographical location, rural N Yorks, probably has a bearing. If I have to drop £500 I'll let it go to acquaintances with 'old bangers' who can take them for scrap...
>> Deafening silence so far from the AT advert...

Its been on for less than three full days. Give it full 9 days minimum to include two weekends.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - VxFan
My previous experience of selling on AT resulted in more spam calls than anything else. Mainly from other publications asking if I'd consider selling in their rag.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 13:01
>>>Its been on for less than three full days

Yep and the mileage makes it a niche sale that... with its history... doesn't have to drive the price to the floor but might only attract 1 in 50 buyers.... you have to wait for that buyer.

When I sell niche stuff on Ebay at robust prices quite often I have to wait for part way through the second 30 day BIN listing then... bam... no hassle or offers... someone dives in at the full price.

I wish I had a need for that car... I'd take it in an instant without making LL squeal on price.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 18:26
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Runfer D'Hills
>>wish I had a need for that car... I'd take it in an instant without making LL squeal on price.

Me too.
It's now listed on Pistonheads, PreLoved, Gumtree & Mr Spock It. Thanks again for the advice.

Rather than let it go at a knock down price to some scroat, if it can't find a decent home I would rather donate it to some needy person who might have fallen on hard times. I'm a great believer in karma.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Bobby
Maybe just psychological, but I would be knocking £100 off the price at lease - search threshold is in £500 increments so it wont appear in a search under £2500 currently.

I would always search at my upper limit and then filter from dearer to cheaper. So if I was looking to spend £2500 I would have that as an upper search - I wouldn't set limit to £3k then filter cheaper to dearer?
I agree with Bobby ...
I’ve taken your advice & just reduced to £2395......my LDWA group had an 18 + miler yesterday, a high level walk around Kendal. After which I had a look at my newly arrived car, and decided to part with the Focus asap! Sorry Focus.
I’m walking the Speyside Way in two weeks so I’ll be driving north in the new car, even if it has to go to WBAC.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - No FM2R
Bit late now, but if I was looking to spend £2500 I would absolutely search from £3k down, assuming I'd be able to negotiate down a bit if one interested me.
Yes of course No FM2R... with a private sale you always expect to buy for less than the advertised price. Just how much less is down to how overpriced the vehicle was advertised at, and how desperate the vendor is to sell.
There are exceptions. Every one of my four previous VW Transporters, and quite a few of my cars, sold at the advertised price. I obviously priced this one incorrectly.
As I said earlier, I’m not desperate to get the last penny out of the sale, but I’d rather it not go to WBAC.
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - devonite
If it does regretfully come down to the WBAC route, there is a similar Franchise advertising on TV that "guarantees" to better any offer made by WBAC, (can't remember their name, sorry!) but you may get enough extra from them for a consolatory pint on your travels!
www.evanshalshaw.com/sell-your-car/
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - CGNorwich
I sold my last car to Evans Halshaw. About £900 more more than trade in, £500 more than WBAC, but obviously less that a private sale.

No hassle amd Evans Halshaw are a lot less critical of condition than WBAC and the money can be in your account within 24 hours. Being a major car dealer who resell most of the cars they buy rather than selling them through the trade they ar able to off better prices
 Ford Focus III - Virtual pint on offer - Bobby
I sold my ix35 to Evans Halshaw who offered £800 more than WBAC. Why they offered this I don’t know!

18 months on and I see my ix35 is back up for sale in an Evans Halshaw locally.
Many thanks.
Another avenue to explore if not sold privately this week
I suppose the irony is that at the sort of price your Focus is now worth, its appeal will mostly be to those to whom that is actually quite a lot of money. Buyers of lower priced cars, in other words, often have a budget inversely proportional to the asking price.

Because of that, they might also be even more sensitive to the current diesel debacle, and more reluctant to risk their hard earned on a car that might have a potentially shorter term usefulness to them. Or so they have been led to believe or fear.

>> I’m walking the Speyside Way in two weeks so I’ll be driving north in the
>> new car
>>

Where will you park it while walking? I don't mean exactly though will it be safe? Could be a reason to keep the Focus ...
Nah, even the car thieves that far north are pretty chivalrous. They'll not nick a girl's car...
:-)))
>> Nah, even the car thieves that far north are pretty chivalrous. They'll not nick a
>> girl's car...
>> :-)))

Good news for me too.
According to the Evans Halshaw website they’ll offer me £100 more than WBAC. Might be a trip to Burnley next weekend if not sold beforehand....
I double checked Evans Halshaw again today.... ‘offer price’ was £1980, less any deductions they might have made on presentation to them. I would have taken off the almost new Michelin X Climates and retro fitted the ditchfinders at a cost of £40 (KB Tyres, Barnoldswick)

Then in the space of 24 hours, three phone calls from different interested parties, two emails, and a friend who lives aways away rang.

Sold to a lovely local couple for £2295. Funds transferred into my account whilst they were at my place, and I have use of it tomorrow for a hospital appointment... N Rail on strike so it would have meant rescheduling the scan.

Everyone happy. Barbies dream car next week

Thanks for all advice & recommendations
Great result... now I can stop saying to no.2 daughter are you sure you wouldn't like to move up from your Jazz to a Focus diesel.

Price spot on fair to all.
Hope you like yours as much as I like my reckless Hiroshima barchetta purchase.

Please keep us up to date. I suspect yours will be the faster.
Happy days!
Faster acceleration, same top speed. Took the new owners for a decent run out... Settle bypass then up Buckhaw Brow ( B6480) to show them how well it goes.... it reached 85 comfortably up the straight steep hill with no mimsers in front!
The 330 was considerably faster at the top ..... For a 1.6 diesel it went very well despite its 143k miles. Cruised at 85 on the motorways for hours... must have been the Shell V Power it ran on.
Onwards and upwards...
Well done, good result. I was passed by a Macan yesterday, have to say it's a very nice car, hope you thoroughly enjoy owning and driving it. Bet it'll be great fun.
“Passed” you say? Wow. A Barbie with attitude. My kinda girl
( apologies. Possibly sexist comment)
he has only got 4 cylinders. Passing him by is no real effort.
Latest Forum Posts